E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > minimum wage, maximum douche



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
AWSAWS
Colonel
AWSAWS's Avatar
152
Rep
2,228
Posts

Drives: E92 FBO 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

minimum wage, maximum douche

Here we go again.

My wife works for minimum wage in a restaurant. In the last fortnight she did 61 hours and got a cheque for 396.50

Now I believe that works out as 6.50 an hour and since April 1st she should be getting 7.20. Has her sh*t of a boss ripped her off 40? I don't know what take home pay should be, like if there's NI contributions to deduct? He's an untrustworthy SOB and I'm going to have to have words. Just want to get my facts straight.

Luckily she has a new job at a real company starting next month. Good riddance to this scumbag.
__________________
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
DriverLDN
Second Lieutenant
DriverLDN's Avatar
8
Rep
210
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i M Sport E90 2006
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S/E London

iTrader: (0)

Usually I use http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/ to work out take home pay. Not sure if that helps.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
djgandy
Colonel
djgandy's Avatar
93
Rep
2,332
Posts

Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
61 hours over 2 weeks = 1,586 over a year
x 6.50/hr = 10,309

10,309 is approx 10,615 net.
10,615 / 1586 = ~6.70/hr

I assume she's over 25 and qualifies for living wage?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
AWSAWS
Colonel
AWSAWS's Avatar
152
Rep
2,228
Posts

Drives: E92 FBO 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
61 hours over 2 weeks = 1,586 over a year
x 6.50/hr = 10,309

10,309 is approx 10,615 net.
10,615 / 1586 = ~6.70/hr

I assume she's over 25 and qualifies for living wage?
Yep, over 25 yrs old.

This A hole never pays overtime. Rarely pays double on holidays. She works unsocial hours.

As I've been lucky enough myself to never work minimum wage, I don't know if NI contributions are deducted etc???
__________________
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
djgandy
Colonel
djgandy's Avatar
93
Rep
2,332
Posts

Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Yeah there will be NI on that but she should have more pay if on 7.20. Any pension? Where's her payslip lol?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #6
AWSAWS
Colonel
AWSAWS's Avatar
152
Rep
2,228
Posts

Drives: E92 FBO 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Yeah there will be NI on that but she should have more pay if on 7.20. Any pension? Where's her payslip lol?
No pension. Don't think I've ever seen a pay slip.
__________________
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:47 AM   #7
RENT-A-GOAT
First Lieutenant
RENT-A-GOAT's Avatar
United Kingdom
51
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: E91 Lci Exclusive Edition
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Warwickshire

iTrader: (0)

Sounds a bit fishy to me no pay slip etc if I was you get in touch with ACAS and they will help with checking it out and knowing where you stand if there is an issue and if he has broken any employment laws they will go in and go down like a ton of bricks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 06:37 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
149
Rep
6,705
Posts

Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe LCI
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK - Midlands

iTrader: (2)

Yep, it's the law to provide a pay slip detailing all deductions.

She might be on the wrong tax code for example, but without a slip you'll never know.
__________________
E90 330i 6MT gone. E91 335i 6MT gone. AMG E63 Estate gone. M6GC current...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
AWSAWS
Colonel
AWSAWS's Avatar
152
Rep
2,228
Posts

Drives: E92 FBO 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Thanks chaps.
__________________
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:33 AM   #10
gangzoom
Lieutenant Colonel
88
Rep
1,761
Posts

Drives: E90 335i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Leicester

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
No pension. Don't think I've ever seen a pay slip.
I thought all employers have to offer some kind of pension now?? Does she even have a written contract?? What does it say on her annual tax return documents??

If it's all cash in hand (rather than bank transfer) than he may will be trying to do be creative with his tax bill.....In which case the inland revenue will cause him to enter a world of pain if they flag him up as a 'high risk' individual.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #11
RENT-A-GOAT
First Lieutenant
RENT-A-GOAT's Avatar
United Kingdom
51
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: E91 Lci Exclusive Edition
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Warwickshire

iTrader: (0)

This is definitely a case for ACAS and the Revenue if there finding show him to be at fault with the wages and required conditions of pay/tax etc
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
AWSAWS
Colonel
AWSAWS's Avatar
152
Rep
2,228
Posts

Drives: E92 FBO 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
I thought all employers have to offer some kind of pension now?? Does she even have a written contract?? What does it say on her annual tax return documents??

If it's all cash in hand (rather than bank transfer) than he may will be trying to do be creative with his tax bill.....In which case the inland revenue will cause him to enter a world of pain if they flag him up as a 'high risk' individual.
Its been a while since she started now. I don't remember if there's a written contract. In 2 weeks she'll be done with this place for good.

She's such a hard worker and he treats her like crap. Completely taken for granted. I'll be glad when she's working for a real business.

This work was always seen as a temporary stop gap until something better came along. It took longer than expected. Sadly she gets on well with the people she works with there. Well most of them. You know how it is. There's one little up her own a** bitch who thinks she runs the place and causes head aches for everyone. Don't know why she isn't fired. She could be replaced by anyone with the ability to hold a conversation.
__________________
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 03:18 AM   #13
RENT-A-GOAT
First Lieutenant
RENT-A-GOAT's Avatar
United Kingdom
51
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: E91 Lci Exclusive Edition
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Warwickshire

iTrader: (0)

How's this saga going, hope it's all been sorted and you managed to get something done about this idiot business owner.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #14
AWSAWS
Colonel
AWSAWS's Avatar
152
Rep
2,228
Posts

Drives: E92 FBO 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
How's this saga going, hope it's all been sorted and you managed to get something done about this idiot business owner.
She moved on to another job. Then that business went bust, so sadly she's back working there.

She seems to be getting paid the right amount after NI deductions but I'm looking out for another job for her. Problem is she gets on really well with the other people there.
__________________
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #15
Feryy
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW 3er
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colchester, United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Here we go again.

My wife works for minimum wage in a restaurant. In the last fortnight she did 61 hours and got a cheque for 396.50

Now I believe that works out as 6.50 an hour and since April 1st she should be getting 7.20. Has her sh*t of a boss ripped her off 40? I don't know what take home pay should be, like if there's NI contributions to deduct? He's an untrustworthy SOB and I'm going to have to have words. Just want to get my facts straight.

Luckily she has a new job at a real company starting next month. Good riddance to this scumbag.
Was she getting paid for all 61 hours? Was she getting paid for her breaks? That can possibly be one of the reasons why she didn't get paid for the whole 61 hours, if there is an unpaid break of 30 minutes every day, assuming she's working 5 days a week, that's extra 5 hours (per 2 weeks) down from the 61 hours, therefore: 56 hours in 2 weeks = 396 net, which means 198/week and 10,608 gross/year. Calculated with 28 hours/week (by deducting the unpaid lunch time), it adds up to 7.29 hourly rate. (Source: Tax calculator) I hope it's all better now for your wife.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #16
AWSAWS
Colonel
AWSAWS's Avatar
152
Rep
2,228
Posts

Drives: E92 FBO 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feryy View Post
Was she getting paid for all 61 hours? Was she getting paid for her breaks? That can possibly be one of the reasons why she didn't get paid for the whole 61 hours, if there is an unpaid break of 30 minutes every day, assuming she's working 5 days a week, that's extra 5 hours (per 2 weeks) down from the 61 hours, therefore: 56 hours in 2 weeks = 396 net, which means 198/week and 10,608 gross/year. Calculated with 28 hours/week (by deducting the unpaid lunch time), it adds up to 7.29 hourly rate. (Source: Tax calculator) I hope it's all better now for your wife.
Hey thank you for the info.
My wife's only counting the hours she works, Not the breaks. She does anywhere from 10.5 to 12 hours a day over 4 days. 4 to 5 hours in the morning but sometimes it has been a straight 12 hours. Eating etc while on the job.
This guy is not great to work for. Never pays over time. He's had tax problems in the past. i.e. Not paying enough.

Seems her pay is pretty much what's required for minimum wage. I'd like her to find something else but she doesn't drive and her English is quite basic. I've never known a harder worker though.
__________________
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #17
Andy198712
Lieutenant
42
Rep
526
Posts

Drives: 2010 E91 325d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Sounds silly but Lidl’s always pay really well? Not sure if you have one near by or if she’d like that but for the job it’s better then basic wage, living wage if I recall
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST