E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Recommendation on E90 M-Tech Spoiler?

03-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
speedemmon
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328I M-Sport

Recommendation on E90 M-Tech Spoiler?

First of all I did the searches and read through almost a couple of hours, but none of the threads are current. I'm looking to get a M-Tech Spoiler for the wife's 2011 328I M-Sport in a painted version. There's too many different places to purchase from. I like the OEM part#51710411575 but not at nearly $500 plus additional paint work. Is there a comparable aftermarket spoiler out there to the OE unit? Where can I purchase this pre-painted? How about another materials aside from carbon since it with be painted? What's better as far as today's material ABS, fiberglass or flexible polyurethane. What would you recommend? Thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
vwman
Rep
Drives: E92 335i x-drive

It really all depends on how "finished" you want the end product to be. I purchased the aftermarket one and my body guy had to spend hours sanding and fitting it to look OEM. He's been my paint and body tech for years so he cut me quite a large break on the end price, but he put a lot of hours into getting just right. Needless to say he wasn't happy with the aftermarket one and told me next time to save him the trouble and just buy the OEM one.

The aftermarket models typically have the molding lines that have to be sanded, they don't fit exactly and you may have to shave several high spots down. The bow around the outer edges may have too much tension which causes the double sided tape to pull away from the fender. My tech had to re "glue" the outer edges next to the fog lamps. It looks awesome and OEM, but only to the dismay of my auto body guy. If you don't have a good auto body tech like mine it may wind up costing you more in labor hours than just buying the OEM part.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
bartles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

you get what you pay for with stuff like this... saving a some money on the unit cost could end up costing you in labor like vwman mentioned.
      03-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
JetBlackBMW3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I Purchased a painted spoiler off of a auction site, paint was great, fitment was HORRIBLE, it ended up falling off, I actually own a installation and detail shop, and the glue they provided would have ended up causing majoy damage to my car had I not caught it, and had some professional stuff to clean if off with.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The JB Speed unit is quite nice
Appreciate 0