E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Not even 2 weeks of ownership....

07-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
[steve]
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D SE

Not even 2 weeks of ownership....

So, on 28 June I bought myself a nice E90 320d. Silver with FSH and had just had the clutch and DMF done. A few minor scuffs to the paint but they could be sorted...

Anyway, on Saturday 9 July, day 12 of BMW ownership, some yoof drove out of a side road straight into the side of me.....

I limped it home (only down the hill) and got a call from TP's insurer an hour or so later - they sorted a Courtesy car from Enterprise on the day and the Accident repair centre called to arrange collection of the car on Wednesday (13/7/16).

Then on Sunday I noticed the door was not flush at the top (you can see in the pic) so I tried to remedy it fearing the heavy rain forecast might cause serious issues with the interior! In doing so though, I accidentally wound the passenger window down... it wouldn't come back up again...

So, on phone to TP's insurer again they arrange for Green Flag to collect within the hour and take it 'back to base' into a secure and dry workshop. I was told the car would be moved on by them to the Accident repair centre Monday... Monday came and went and no word, Tuesday, I called TP's insurer, who called Green Flag who gave assurance the car would be with Accident Repair centre by 5pm.. 5pm yesterday - nothing, called again after 5pm yesterday and was assured a driver had been assigned for this morning, called at midday today to be told it still hadn't moved but they were 'aware they have had it a few days now' and they will 'try their best to move it on today'... I've called the Accident Repair centre and requested that if the car is not with them by 4pm today, they arrange to go and collect it from the recovery companies workshop tomorrow, they have agreed to that in principal and will call me later to 'discuss'...

I just want to know if it's gonna be written of so I can start looking for another if needed! My insurers saw pics and advised it'll be borderline Total Loss, so it's not been a great few days just waiting to be told!

Anyway, sucks to be me right now

Thanks,

Steve.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
That's a bummer, especially after only 12 days of ownership! The sill doesn't look damaged so it might only need 2 doors and a wing.

If it is total loss I hope you get back what you paid for it.
      07-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Gutted for you. That's not good after so little time of ownership.

I'd say it's just the door and wing as doesn't look to have impacted the skirt (so no sill damage) and doesn't look deep enough to have damaged the vertical door support etc. So see what they say as might not be too bad overall.
      07-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that so soon into your ownership!

3 panels replaced, resprayed and matched, plus cost of hire cars and overheads. I'd probably write that off as an insurer and send it to a breakers yard to get some money back. Given the costs I've seen for various cars and less damage (£1000 in repair alone for a front bumper) I'd expect that to be at least £2500 depending on where parts are sourced.

It's a side impact too so there could be more than meets the eye and the risks of that will be taken into account.

I'd expect a hobby repairist to do this with parts off ebay for a "good enough" job, but for an insurance job those kind of standards will be too low IMO. If you buy two doors off ebay you're probably looking at £300 for good nick ones + the front side panel.

As a DIY job where time is "free", I'd say cheaply repairable, but as an insurance job I think the costs will be large. Remember it's your right to choose where to have it repaired, and I'd be taking it somewhere they'll do a good job.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Sorry to see that OP.

What a PITA
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
so many fucktards on the roads these days... probably insurers gona try to fuck you aswell with their market cap value bollocks.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 12:49 AM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Some people just don't look properly or care these days... sucks a nut mate!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 03:14 AM   #8
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

What a bummer, but if the insurance company write it off try to buy it off them. You should be able to pick up replacement doors and a wing from a scrap yard for a reasonable price and your car will be as good as new for relatively little and easy work.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 04:28 AM   #9
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Where is it being repaired? You can chose this. It needs to be BMW approved.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 06:14 AM   #10
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
Where is it being repaired? You can chose this. It needs to be BMW approved.
If its BMW approved it's 99% a write off once that quote comes through.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #11
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Sport

Most probably the A-pillar and B-pillar bore the brunt / shock of the impact. Once the chassis is bent, walk away, as it will never be the same again even if it can be repaired.

Very similar thing happened to my missus. We took the payout from the insurance co.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #12
[steve]
Rep

Thanks for the replies and advice.

The car is finally at the repair place, UK Assist Accident Repair - they have the kite mark and look to be pretty respectable.

Direct Line use them and they guarantee any repairs for 5 years and use genuine parts. This is the main reason I think it will be a total loss.

Not too interested in buying back and patching up as have done that plenty in the past and as has been said, there are almost always structural issues that cannot be seen by a non-professional.

I had considered buying it back if I still got a good payout as well, then I could sell on as a repair job for more than the salvage I would pay but my main aim is to find another good replacement if it is total loss!

The Accident Repair centre will be calling me in the morning. I called them just after 5pm today and the guy was assessing it then, but then he had to 'job it up' apparently! which I assume means calculate the cost of parts + labour, so they said it would be the morning before I find out...

My insurer (Aviva) looked at the pics and said it would be borderline total loss and actually quoted an estimated payout as around £400 more than I paid for it, but will have to see what Direct Line say as they are the lads insurers and who are dealing with it.

Anyway, I'll be updating in the morning.

One thing I did notice is that when the breakdown guy drove it off my drive after being stood for a day or so the exhaust was smoking - he only drove it off the drive, out on to the road and to the back of his truck... wondering if that's normal for a diesel with 129k...

If I do get it back, the dealer gave me 3 months warranty on engine and gearbox so may have to take it back...

Anyway, will found out tomorrow, can't believe how gutted I STILL feel!!

Cheers,

Steve.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 03:12 AM   #13
[steve]
Rep

UPDATE - had a call from the accident repair centre this morning, they think at the moment (they are just awaiting results of a geometry report) it is repairable. New front door, new front wing, new rear door, new hinges, match and spray...

5 year guarantee. Just have to wait now to hear from them about the geometry report before they can confirm 100% it is repairable...

I am shocked it's not a total loss just based on the panels they are going to have to replace!

Will be a good thing though as mechanically it's a great car.

Only downside is they have stated that it will take 'way longer' than the 7 days initially stated for repairs...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #14
Redguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE

Garage List
2007 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Really hope it works out for you bud!

Previous -

2006 E90 318i/1998 E36 318iS/1997 E36 328i/1981 E21 323i/1982 E21 320
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #15
[steve]
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguy View Post
Really hope it works out for you bud!
Cheers Mate,

Apparently all 4 corners were out on the Geometry report but they've sorted that out and now they are ok to get panels ordered and start the repair....

New complete BMW doors and a new BMW wing, they'll replace the hinges too, pull out a couple of small dings where the door impacted the bottom of the B pillar and they are gonna take off the sill cover and touch that up and spray it as has a couple of small scratches. They've also spotted a couple of bits of damage to the front of the rear arch, which they will sort too...

Fingers crossed they do a good job, and quickly!

Cheers,

Steve.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #16
edowen
Major
Rep

you dont want quick, you want good.....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #17
[steve]
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
you dont want quick, you want good.....
Yes, true, but i'm an impatient chap!

I was just getting used to driving the BMW, which, by the way is the NICEST car i've ever driven, so sure on the road it's awesome!

Now I'm having to pootle around in a 1.6 2014 automatic Ford Focus from Enterprise rent a car which has a cheap plasticky looking interior, doesn't go immediately when you put your foot down and that goes as soon as you lift off the brake... something I'm getting used to.. especially in slow moving commuter traffic!

I know it'll take as long as it takes to do a good job and I have every faith that these guys will do a good job if they guarantee their repairs for 5 years and use genuine parts.. my only concern is bad paint matching, if the new panels are slightly off from the rest of the car that would be a shame.. I guess I would just send it back and ask that they redo it if that was the case!

I think the accident repair centre has about 21 repair bays and 5 spray booths... they are all ATA qualified and have the BSA Kite Mark so hopefully they'll do as good a job as anyone.. they also said they have a couple of BMW technicians on site as well, so sounds like a proper professional outfit rather than some back street unit

Thanks for all the comments anyway, I'll get some nicer pics of the car up when it's done and I have chance take it somewhere photogenic!

Steve.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #18
[steve]
Rep

Well, got a phone call yesterday out of the blue (expected my next update from the accident repair place Monday) and they told me the car was ready!

Happy days.... got a receipt for all work done and checked all gaps etc. Paint match is spot on and all guaranteed for 5 years....

The bit that confused me was that the total for repairs was just a few quid short of £4500

Anyway, back home now

Thanks for all the comments, it's been a tough couple of weeks!

Cheers,

Steve.
Appreciate 1
E90-AMD65.50
      07-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #19
edowen
Major
Rep

Good stuff, congrats.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #20
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Intriguing it was not written off with a £4.5K repair.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 06:24 AM   #21
[steve]
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermobaric View Post
Intriguing it was not written off with a £4.5K repair.
Agreed.... not sure what went on there!

Happy to have it back though!

Just need to find a brand new side repeater + seal to match the crystal clear one they fitted to the replacement wing!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #22
Pp4811
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Glad you got it back and are happy with it.
Insurance garages always inflate the costs don't they? 4.5k for the repairs? I would've thought half that at the most, not that I know though.
Appreciate 0