E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Things I wish to see changed in the Next Gen 3 series

10-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #89
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
You guys do realize that if you hold the unlock button on the fob then the windows roll down.... and if you then hold it again they roll back up
Nope... Holding the "unlock" button will not roll the windows up once they are down. The "lock" button is supposed to do it - and it does in martkets outside North America. This feature is intentionally disabled in N.A.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #90
Marcumac
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosetta Stoned View Post
- adjustable pedals & telescopic steering wheel
We already have this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
You guys do realize that if you hold the unlock button on the fob then the windows roll down.... and if you then hold it again they roll back up
The windows will not roll back up.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #91
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed792 View Post
My dad had an old truck, I think an F-150. The doors would stay locked until you pulled on the handle (from the inside), then they would unlock and open in a single pull. If that old truck could do it, why can't the BMW? And yes, it did have power locks.
MB also auto-locks the doors when in motion, but needs a single pull to unlock. BMW could program it the same way - it sure is an oversight.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #92
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodb View Post
Why are you turning your fog lights on every time you get into the car? Just to annoy oncoming traffic? Or do you live in a permanent fog?
I mean at night.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #93
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
Nope... Holding the "unlock" button will not roll the windows up once they are down. The "lock" button is supposed to do it - and it does in martkets outside North America. This feature is intentionally disabled in N.A.
ahh, you are correct. You can unroll them with the fob...but not back up again. To roll them all up you have to use the actual key within the fob and turn it to the locked position...That will roll all the windows up.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #94
Riding happy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Warp speed button
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #95
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
My dad had an old truck, I think an F-150. The doors would stay locked until you pulled on the handle (from the inside), then they would unlock and open in a single pull. If that old truck could do it, why can't the BMW? And yes, it did have power locks.
It's not a matter of BMW being "unable" to do it. The "two pulls" design is an intentional safety feature. During emergency maneuvers or particularly sharp turns, some people would instinctively reach out to grab the first thing available. There are documented cases of people getting injured because they accidentally opened the door by grabbing the inside handle.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #96
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
It's not a matter of BMW being "unable" to do it. The "two pulls" design is an intentional safety feature. During emergency maneuvers or particularly sharp turns, some people would instinctively reach out to grab for something. There are documented cases of people getting injured because they accidentally opened the door by grabbing the inside handle.
This is a non-issue when the car is standning still.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #97
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
It's not a matter of BMW being "unable" to do it. The "two pulls" design is an intentional safety feature. During emergency maneuvers or particularly sharp turns, some people would instinctively reach out to grab for something. There are documented cases of people getting injured because they accidentally opened the door by grabbing the inside handle.
If it's that big of a safety feature they would have included auto locking when the e90 was first released. They wouldn't let you turn it off now. And they could always program it to work that way in park only. My god, it shouldn't be that hard to wrap your head around (BMW)... EDIT= I changed my wording slightly to how I really meant it. At first it sounded like I was bashing Ti335 which wasn't my intention.
      10-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #98
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzara2000 View Post
-Anthracite trim option
-Stereo Bluetooth
-better place to put your iPod/iPhone and not in the center console
-aluminum pedals
-an actual dipstick vs electronic bullshit
-better quality windshield, one that doesn't chip as easily
-better air conditioner, one that actually keeps the cabin cold
Your car must have some real issues. I've not had either of the last two problems in your list.

I rather like the way the iPod placement works. It's out of the way; but then I don't like there being anything in my interior cabin besides the cups in the cup holder and myself and the passenger in the seats.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #99
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
And they could always program it to work that way in park only. My god, it shouldn't be that hard to wrap your head around (BMW)...
I'm not sure they could actually do that with programing alone. It's a mechanical rather than electrical system - the first pull moves the lock, the second pull unhinges the door. They'd need to make the locking mechanism much more complicated in order for it to be able to make two different responses to the same action (single pull of the door handle), which seems more hassle than it's worth...They could, of course, program the computer to unlock all doors when the car is in park but that creates other issues...What if you're stopped in a bad neighborhood and don't want the doors to unlock?

How hard is it to pull the door handle twice anyway? Maybe I'm just so used it that I don't find it annoying...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #100
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
If it's that big of a safety feature they would have included auto locking when the e90 was first released. They wouldn't let you turn it off now. And they could always program it to work that way in park only. My god, it shouldn't be that hard to wrap your head around (BMW)... EDIT= I changed my wording slightly to how I really meant it. At first it sounded like I was bashing Ti335 which wasn't my intention.
It was included on the E90 at launch. It was also a dealer program option on the E46.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #101
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
It was included on the E90 at launch. It was also a dealer program option on the E46.
No, it apparently wasn't... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105935

Quote:
I'm not sure they could actually do that with programing alone. It's a mechanical rather than electrical system - the first pull moves the lock, the second pull unhinges the door. They'd need to make the locking mechanism much more complicated in order for it to be able to make two different responses to the same action (single pull of the door handle), which seems more hassle than it's worth...They could, of course, program the computer to unlock all doors when the car is in park but that creates other issues...What if you're stopped in a bad neighborhood and don't want the doors to unlock?

How hard is it to pull the door handle twice anyway? Maybe I'm just so used it that I don't find it annoying...
As most people have said, it isn't hard for owners, but it sucks when you have new passengers in your car and they use way too much force on the door. Single pull of the handle is done on many cars and shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Having it react differently in drive being tough would depend on how they design it (fully mechanical or have something electrical trigger the actual unlock).

Anyway, we have now beat down this topic to death.
      10-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #102
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I'm used to it, too. The problem is everyone else who rides in my car isn't. They either think I've locked 'em in or, in the example of my bone-headed father in law, damn near rip the handle out of the door. You shouldn't have to give your passengers instructions on door use.

They could have a traditional single-pull mechanical linkage with a system that holds the lock closed on the first pull when the car is moving. The hardware for this is already there (try pushing down on the lock plunger if you don't have the key- impossible).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #103
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
Yea, I find that my BMW is the most ergonomically correct and intuitive car I've driven. Try driving a Merc S-Class, where you have to take almost your entire hand off the steering wheel to reach the turn signal controls, or the Infiniti G37, where you have to lean completely out of your seat in order to reach and operate the navigation controls, or any modern Lexus, where you must come to a complete stop before you can use any of the navigation controls.

And people say BMW's are poorly designed...
I would have to agree with this poster. The only other carsI've found with ergonomics as good as the BMW's is my old, '89 Honda Accord Coupe.

The main issues I have with the current e92 is relatively minor. On the inside I'd:
  • move the window buttons back to the center console
  • make the glove box large enough to hold the owner's manual
  • put the auto-wiper "on" indicator somewhere I could see it
  • install a dedicated dimmer switch/knurl for the dashboard lights
  • provide more flexibility in the configuration of the interior, such as offering piping and carpet color selections that the buyer can choose
  • offer real, top-quality hides
  • offer more interior colors -- dark and light greens, better browns, true white, dark and light blues
  • offer a "full leather" interior option

On the outside, I'd:
  • Use smoother paint
  • Offer some "exciting" colors

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #104
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I'm used to it, too. The problem is everyone else who rides in my car isn't. They either think I've locked 'em in or, in the example of my bone-headed father in law, damn near rip the handle out of the door. You shouldn't have to give your passengers instructions on door use.

They could have a traditional single-pull mechanical linkage with a system that holds the lock closed on the first pull when the car is moving. The hardware for this is already there (try pushing down on the lock plunger if you don't have the key- impossible).
Haha, fair enough...I hardly ever ride in my car with anyone other than my gf and, occasionally, parents (who also drive BMWs), so I didn't even think of that.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #105
tizzyd
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6MT

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
DCT

Kill Active Steering, in my opinion it is the worst option, I hate it with a passion

Make the BMW Peformance Flash Standard so the N54 has 326 hp/330 ft lbs out of the box

No xDrive badge on side

Better looking brakes

Michelin Pilot Sports standard with sport package, not re050a's

Sports suspension avaliable with xDrive

Launch Control

Please let the new M3 stay naturally aspirated

Bring back SG

Alcantara M-Sport seats available in U.S.

Debadge (model designation deletion) as option from factory like it is in Europe

LSD included with ZSP/ZMP

DPC (The system on the X6 and both X Ms that pushes torque to the outside wheels) on xDrive models

DCT (yeah, its on here twice)
2007 E60 M5 6MT (Interlagos/Silverstone Full) | 2013 F10 M5 6MT (Imola Red/Black Full) | 2022 BMW M5 CS (Brands Hatch Grey) | 2006 E46 M3 Comp 6MT (Silver Grey/Black, CSL clone) | 2011.5 E92 M3 (Fire Orange/Black Recaros, 4.6L Stroker, GTS Clone) | 2011 1M (Valencia Orange/Black)

Last edited by tizzyd; 10-14-2009 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #106
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet,

1. Rain sensing sunroof that closes if you accidently leave it open in a parking lot and it starts to rain!

2. Wipers automatically come on when it rains.

3. Bring back the flash light in the glove box

4. make the umbrella in the door standard on the sedan as well as the coupe

5. inertial tire pressure monitoring instead of TPMS so wheel swap out is easier.

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #107
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Oh yeah and DCT w/launch control for sho!

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #108
cjava
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Things I would love to hand over my money for:

1. HUD
2. Night vision camera
3. Ventilated seats
4. LED angel eyes
5. Fixed HPFP
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #109
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Similar dimensions as the e9x's but 10% lighter
Standard BMW Performance Flash
Better, non-RFT tires
BMS JB3 v2.0 | BMS DCI | Berk Tech Sport Exhaust | UR * DPs | CoolingMist Meth Kit w/ CMGS | H&R OE Sport Springs | Breyton GTS-R | Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs | GP Thunder 8000K Low Beams/Angel Eyes/Cornering Lights | LED Interior Light Kit | Window Tint | Smoked Tail Lights | Smoked License Plate Cover
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #110
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
No you cant! You can buy an aftermarket thing that disables this. However on a stock car, once the doors are locked you MUST pull the handle twice or press the unlock button. The doors do not auto unlock when pulling the handle.
dont know if you have CA or not but all i have to do is touch anywhere on the door handle and my doors unlock. i dont have to pull twice so ya rtfm if you have ca