E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Have CCC and want MultiMedia integration?

04-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
threethirtyfive
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335, '04 R32

Garage List
Have CCC and want MultiMedia integration?

One of the first things I complained about on my 335 was the lack of reverse cam. The $400-$800 options seemed ridiculous as I would be just using this for a cam.

Thank you ebay.co.uk

xCarlink now sells the com box that... Wait for it... Is the same one other vendors are selling for $400-$800. Same system, same features, granted this didn't have a pre wired relay for camera power but that took all of 10 minutes.

I am into the whole system for around $375 including camera and com box. Frankly the MMN camera cost more than the box. It's a quality piece I just think he has it priced a bit too high. If you use the $20 eBay license plate light can you are only in $20 rather than $190 and the cam is the same. I just really liked the trunk release cam location.

Do it right and this costs less than $200. I'll post some pics soon. Best part is I added a y cable to have rearview while driving and picked up the version of the MMN front end cam for $40 which will make not ruining my bumper easier haha.

Will post links and photos soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Very interested in this. My wife is getting on me about putting a backup camera in since her other car and previous cars all had one. But the price for the box was a little steep (I'm used to $200 options for Japanese cars).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
threethirtyfive
Banned
Rep

Garage List
This is the guy. You'll be surprised what offers they will accept.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-iDrive-V...item3cd1094ef6

The camera is your call 100%. Power wise the green line from the system WILL power the rear camera reliably without any need for additional work on an AT a MT will be different but still easy to setup.

I would recommend pulling power from an ad a line fuse which allows for camera while driving as well as a stronger clearer image. You can also relay the fused power using the green wire to activate however I wanted the camera on while driving option.

You can also add a cheap recording device and record the video input from the cameras. Adding a front cam, a video in source (DVD, iPhone etc), a AUX Y, and a video Y you could... Have front and rear recordable cameras if needed, play videos through the system for kids etc. and use the OEM audio and controls, have back up, have parking front cam (great for parking blocks). Pretty fun setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
threethirtyfive
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Here you go. Camera while driving still playing my iPod through the OEM hookup. By this weekend I will have the front as an option. Regardless of what I am doing it will always go to the reverse cam when I hit reverse and the OEM button usage is great

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just ordered one last night. Estimated an offer based on what you said and he took it. by far the cheapest box I've found, thanks for the tip. Have you installed the front camera yet? I'm about to order that too and am trying to decide where it would mount. Finally, how were the instructions with the unit? Or did you have to do some research to get it all going? I've done similar stuff on other cars, but have zero experience with BMW's or anything German. Thanks again; this is saving me a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Dr.M.Kassab
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 330i Sedan

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
hey guys.. i actually found this
http://www.ascautopark.com/product/s...lang=en&id=467
same kind of interface .. but i have noticed thatit has --SD-- and --USB-- near the antenna plug.. none of theh other shops have it..
any opinions?
      05-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
threethirtyfive
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191
Just ordered one last night. Estimated an offer based on what you said and he took it. by far the cheapest box I've found, thanks for the tip. Have you installed the front camera yet? I'm about to order that too and am trying to decide where it would mount. Finally, how were the instructions with the unit? Or did you have to do some research to get it all going? I've done similar stuff on other cars, but have zero experience with BMW's or anything German. Thanks again; this is saving me a lot of money.
Awesome news! Install is straight forward. For the cameras I ran an add a fuse to pick up 12v, ground the camera and you're done.

I did install the camera. My advice would be to get it from Frys. DP Video and it $40 with night IR.

I'm loving it. The cameras are so much help.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Dr.M.Kassab
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 330i Sedan

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
i have a question for the people who installed cameras with CCC interface and already have PDC:

if you press the PDC button manually.. will the camera be activated? or just the PDC will appear on the screen?
      05-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

I don't care about video input, but would love to have iphone connectivity. I have the OE ipod cable, but it only works with older ipods. Anyone know if the USB input would allow this?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
So glad I came across this thread. I just ordered the multimedia unit. Can't wait for it to come in. With that said, any advice on rearview trunk latch cameras? Where to buy? etc.? I saw a bunch on ebay but seems like they are all from China. The US based sites are pretty steep.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Finally installing this. Couple of questions. Where are you actually mounting the box? Is there enough room behind the DVD/CD player? And what are you doing for audio input. There are RCA outs on the box, but do you splice into the aux?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Finally installing this. Couple of questions. Where are you actually mounting the box? Is there enough room behind the DVD/CD player? And what are you doing for audio input. There are RCA outs on the box, but do you splice into the aux?
There is enough room behind the DVD/CD player.
      06-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
From what I understand, you need an aux to rca cable and directly plug into the aux in your center console. I'm waiting on my rearview camera to come in (I think tomorrow) and will be performing the install. If you know another way, please share.

Also, unless I'm totally off about this, my understanding is that you need a aux y cable if you want ipod music and video. However, you need 2 ipods or unlplug from unit and plug into center console. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure how the music will be played or controlled from the unit.

EDIT: Also, if you are using ipod for video, you need an apple av composite cable.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks. Looking at it some more, it looks like I can just plug directly into the RCA's since each input on the box has L/R as well as video. I'll give that a try.

BTW, this may be a silly question, but is there anything we need to plug into the RGB input? I know the box is universal and they just adapt the wiring. Couldn't find any wires that fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRichieX View Post
From what I understand, you need an aux to rca cable and directly plug into the aux in your center console. I'm waiting on my rearview camera to come in (I think tomorrow) and will be performing the install. If you know another way, please share.

Also, unless I'm totally off about this, my understanding is that you need a aux y cable if you want ipod music and video. However, you need 2 ipods or unlplug from unit and plug into center console. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure how the music will be played or controlled from the unit.

EDIT: Also, if you are using ipod for video, you need an apple av composite cable.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. Looking at it some more, it looks like I can just plug directly into the RCA's since each input on the box has L/R as well as video. I'll give that a try.

BTW, this may be a silly question, but is there anything we need to plug into the RGB input? I know the box is universal and they just adapt the wiring. Couldn't find any wires that fit.
From what I read, the L/R in the av plugs with the video are audio inputs. And there is a separate only red/white for audio output so that needs to connect to an Aux to RCA cable and the aux plugs directly into the aux in the center console. That's how you get sound from the av1 and av2.

I'm not too sure what RGB input you are referring to.

Mind this that I have not done the install yet. Hoping my camera comes in tomorrow and I'll tackle it then.

Have you done the install? Everything work? Any tips would be appreciated as in how did you route the camera, where did you mount the unit (glovebox? behind dvd/cd player?) Front camera?

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Shadow, on the harness does it say ccc or cic? I ripped apart my car today and everything worked except original bmw idrive screen. After checking wires and testing for hours, i saw that my harness says for cic.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'll check later tonite, I honestly never looked. The box itself says CCC, but I didn't look at the harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRichieX View Post
Hey Shadow, on the harness does it say ccc or cic? I ripped apart my car today and everything worked except original bmw idrive screen. After checking wires and testing for hours, i saw that my harness says for cic.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So there may be an issue. My harness doesn't say for CCC or CIC. But where does the oem lvds plug go? There's no spot for it on the box or harness. I'm referring to the silver L shaped connector. Supposed to plug the oem one into the box and then the new one into the screen. But can't figure out where oem one voes.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oem is suppose to go to the black wrapped thing connected to the interface. There is suppose to be 2 slots. One from the screen (new) and silver L goes next to it. At least thats what I think. However, for me everything else worked except for the oroginal nav screen.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ok, figured out the wiring and everything is in. My navigation does work so I guess I do have the correct harness. But I'm not getting any sound from the speakers. The screen shows the radio playing, or CD playing, but no sound comes out from the speakers period. Also I'm getting an error for the emergency phone not working.

When I first plugged it up, it took a few minutes for the navigation to come on and for all the screens to work. But upon subsequent turn ons, it came on as normal. Do I need to wait for the system to adapt, or is there a wiring harness issue? Also, I haven't fully installed everything yet. My shifter and climate controls are still unplugged, but that shouldn't affect anything? I don't want to put everything back together until it's all correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Bringing this back up. I had it all put together and working, but then the camera went out. So I decided to go with a wireless one since I didn't feel like removing the console and seats again. Now I'm trying to figure out where to power the camera from. None of the light wires can be used, camera isn't stable when car is on. So I guess I will need a relay like I had wired up for the previous camera. So the question is, where can I find a constant 12v to tap into? I know the battery is there, so anything there I can use?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #22
jmb85
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M.Kassab View Post
i have a question for the people who installed cameras with CCC interface and already have PDC:

if you press the PDC button manually.. will the camera be activated? or just the PDC will appear on the screen?
+1
Appreciate 0