E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > European Delivery Information

06-14-2005, 02:27 PM   #89
Blue330i2006
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Blue330i2006

LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2005, 05:15 PM   #90
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue330i2006
LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
Great thread.

Weird way to end it!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2005, 05:13 PM   #91
patayres
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW R1200C

I'm considering using the ED program and just need a little more information. Namely, what are the expenses incurred beyond the agreed upon ED price and handling/delivery charges? Federal taxes? State taxes (I understand this varies state-to-state, but being that the car will be driven in the EU and essentially imported as a used car... are there known loop holes to be aware of?) Licensing fees? Basically, I'm looking for the total price for the ED program. I'm currently stationed overseas with the military and have the opportunity to buy a new BMW through the military purchase program. I'm planning to buy a 325i w/ steptronic, premium package, heated seats, and xenon lights (black/black right now but I haven't completely decided colors). With the military sales program, the vehicle is federal tax exempt and may be state tax exempt depending on state and length of overseas ownership. I can take UK delivery for $33,125 then spend another $1K for shipment back to the States next year. I also have the option to have it delivered to a US dealer for $34,525. These prices are non-negotiable. Based on info gathered here, it looks like I could get the same car through ED for approx $32,875 (that's assuming $1,500 over ED invoice). So I'm considering ordering the car from a dealer in the States and flying down to Germany for delivery (really cheap from the UK) and sending the car back to meet me when I get back Stateside. Any advice is appreciated. Great forum, by the way... hope to stick around and make some contrbutions...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #92
parafrog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i BlkSaph

i'm in the same position you are in. i'm stationed at aviano, italy and have ordered my 330i spt, prem, cld pkg.

i'm opting for ED as i'm going to fly up to munich and drive it back down south (ryan air rules! you know what i'm talking about) to italy,

as for ordering from the states, it all depends on how long you are going to stay overseas and which state you are going to have it delivered to when you return. some states base tax on how long you have already owned the vehicle and/or the odometer reading before it reaches the state. "new" means different things to different states. my home of record is texas. if i have it shipped there, i'm paying tax.

if i get stationed in arizona, i claim that i'm a texas resident and the tax gets deferred and i just pay a registration fee (if there is any). if and when i move back to texas i pay tax on the current value of the vehicle, which will have depreciated by then.

i thought about this too, and ended up purchasing through the military sales program. you get a great price! i mean almost $5000 off of MSRP! then take delivery in munich and knock off almost $500 off delivery price! i mean c'mon!!!!

you don't want to take your chances back in the states. it's cut throat there right now. people are paying way over MSRP just to own on of these.

make the decision you fell comfortable with and let me know how things go. i'm interested to hear from you. best of luck and happy driving. can't wait to get mine.

parafrog out!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 11:06 PM   #93
sipark
Rep
Drives: X5

How are the pickup dates determined? How many weeks prior to the pick up date do they let you know? Do you have to pick up the car on the specific date or is it flexible? I'm thinking about doing a ED and would like to know how/when you make your travel arrangements..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 11:34 PM   #94
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipark
How are the pickup dates determined? How many weeks prior to the pick up date do they let you know? Do you have to pick up the car on the specific date or is it flexible? I'm thinking about doing a ED and would like to know how/when you make your travel arrangements..
You pick a date and your CA will check with BMWNA to make sure that it's available. Typically need about 60-90 days in advance.

I am not sure about the flexibility though, but you don't want to get too carried away because the free ins. and registration is good for 14 days and the clock starts ticking on the date that you gave them and they ok'd. If you arrive a date later then the requested date shouldn't be too much of a problem. You can check out bimmerfest.com and do a search. Great ED info there.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 03:23 PM   #95
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Anyone going to be doing an ED during the last week of July (24th - 30th)?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #96
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

This question goes out to everyone who have gone through ed.

1. Once u pick up the car from the center you are free to travel to wherever you wish? So, this would mean you are on ur own to decipher local roads through the country with ur maps and navi in ur car.

2. Can I pick it up and drop it off the very next day or is there a time limit that I must stay within the program? How long have each of u stayed in europe?

3. What was ur total travel expenses including meals/entertainment/plane tickets etc. during ur time within the ed program? (I am assuming this would have to be lower than $3k to make up for the price of the ed discount.)

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #97
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

1. You're on your own....you can drive anywhere you want but make sure you understand the insurance coverage. Pretty much all of Europe is OK. For outside of Europe you should check with BMW as you may not be insured everywhere you plan to go.

2. You can drop it off the same day if you want. No minimum time or mileage is required.

3. Everyone's different. I'm sure some do it using FF miles and stay one night at the Marriott using Priceline for $60....total cost maybe $200. Others pay $500 to $1000 for the airline ticket and about $300/day for hotel, meals, etc.
What's your budget?

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #98
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Simply put my budget would have to be lower than the $3k i'll be saving through the ed program because it wouldn't make sense to spend over that amount since i don't have no significant other to go along with and don't know anybody in europe. I have less than 3 days of vacation time at work bc i was hired after the halfway mark of the year and I don't want to push the limit with my new employer.

On the website it says you need to schedule 3-4 days in advance in order for you to drop ur car off at the dock. Is this true?

I thought in europe they use different fuel, right? or do they just number it differently
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2005, 03:53 PM   #99
glockz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Very informative thread..thanks for all the useful information! I'm now leaning towards ED and was curious if there are any recommended dealers in the Southwestern Ohio area?

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to my first BMW!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2005, 05:50 PM   #100
scubajag
Scuba-JAG
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2006&07 B.R. E-92

Will be picking up my car on August 4, 2005. Anyone else joining me.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2005, 07:03 PM   #101
Username18
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

ED Pickup

ED pickup on aug 25th!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2005, 07:15 PM   #102
Athos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec
Simply put my budget would have to be lower than the $3k i'll be saving through the ed program because it wouldn't make sense to spend over that amount since i don't have no significant other to go along with and don't know anybody in europe. I have less than 3 days of vacation time at work bc i was hired after the halfway mark of the year and I don't want to push the limit with my new employer.

On the website it says you need to schedule 3-4 days in advance in order for you to drop ur car off at the dock. Is this true?

I thought in europe they use different fuel, right? or do they just number it differently
I doubt that it would be worth it for you to do ED if it is just to save money. By the time you pay for airfare, hotel, food, etc. it will wipe out most of your savings. It also takes longer to get the car because you have to wait for it to be built and then wait for it to be redelivered after you drop it off in Europe. If you are only going for a few days it's a lot of hassle for the jet lag, etc. I suggest you do a regular order.
      07-31-2005, 07:20 PM   #103
Athos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parafrog
you don't want to take your chances back in the states. it's cut throat there right now. people are paying way over MSRP just to own on of these.
Huh? Many people are reporting $1000 to $1500 over invoice for U.S. delivery. A number of people I've corresponded with in the San Francisco area have paid about $1000 over invoice. I'm sure that there are a wide variety of prices paid and some of these is regional, etc.
      08-01-2005, 12:51 PM   #104
34Three
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 6spd, e36, e30

Its worth it for the experience!

Having personally saved over $5,400 on my 330i via ED it is indeed "worth it". That said I'm using miles to get there and strategically selecting hotels but they are seldom more than $100 US per night.

On top of this financial savings is a unique memorable experience that I've been looking forward to for over a year. Immediate gratification no...but that's not the point. I would guess most folks here on the board already "get this" so to speak.

This is my third 3 so long term romance may be altering my judgement. Plus I like really good dark beer...so there!

"you always regret the things you didn't do more than those you did!"

DO an ED!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #105
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

34three put it perfectly. I would only add that there are many things even better than dark beer to be enjoyed on an ED. And this is from a dad that brings his kids along.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #106
cpcollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I have to say that European Delivery is a fantastic experience top to bottom. My wife and I picked up our SG 330i back on July 8th, dropped it off on the 15th, and now we eagerly await its homecoming. We kept a blog (http://autobahnanza.blogspot.com) while we were there to keep friends and family updated. It's not really car-focused, but there are a few pics scattered about.

Someday I'll pull together a site dedicated to my ED car pics...

Here's a link to one of my favorites...
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1...0/IMG_2565.jpg
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2005, 01:55 AM   #107
Athos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Three
Having personally saved over $5,400 on my 330i via ED it is indeed "worth it".
I don't understand how you arrive at such a large number. Sometimes people compare an ED wholesale price with a US MSRP price. A properly negotiated stateside price would be based on US invoice leaving only about $2500 difference. There should be no savings, for example, on options. The ED wholesale and US wholesale on options should be about the same. I wouldn't tell anyone how much they did or didn't save, etc. but I have found the price savings is pretty consistently around $2500 with a true apples to apples price comparison. One of the advantages to ED in some regions of the US is that dealers are more willing to deal since ED deliveries don't come out of their inventory allocation. However, the converse is also true in other regions and with some dealers--they only offer a car at a larger margin over ED invoice than they would US delivery.
      08-03-2005, 04:32 AM   #108
kahala12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 330I

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos
I don't understand how you arrive at such a large number. Sometimes people compare an ED wholesale price with a US MSRP price. A properly negotiated stateside price would be based on US invoice leaving only about $2500 difference. There should be no savings, for example, on options. The ED wholesale and US wholesale on options should be about the same. I wouldn't tell anyone how much they did or didn't save, etc. but I have found the price savings is pretty consistently around $2500 with a true apples to apples price comparison. One of the advantages to ED in some regions of the US is that dealers are more willing to deal since ED deliveries don't come out of their inventory allocation. However, the converse is also true in other regions and with some dealers--they only offer a car at a larger margin over ED invoice than they would US delivery.
Well just my point of view, here in hawaii as in most of the mainland usa, the dealership will not budge much off of msrp list, as bmw of honolulu wanted list,their reason as in all others "the cars are in high demand" so I in turn will use my example. Many dealers will deal with euro del, because for now anything over invoice is profit, that in a smart salesperson mind, is money in the pocket, most euro del are in turn patient, price minded, educated people. They will make more profit off of people that have gotta have that car NOW and do not have patience or want to experience the fun of traveling to a great place and experience a different cultute.

If I ordered a 330 with premium, metallic paint, auto,comfort access, fold down rear seat, sports package, I will indeed save around $5000, but in turn I will not deal with bmw honolulu,just pure a**holes there, so I in turn deal with my old salesguy in cali, and gave me invoice, plus 1200 for his profit.So euro del is well worth the savings and time, plus just pure kick in the pants fun to drive where these great autos are conceived. :thumbsup
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2005, 05:27 PM   #109
34Three
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 6spd, e36, e30

yes $5.4K is my apples to apples number because I bought a uniquely configured car (330i non-sport 6spd manual in Electric Red with Cold/Leath/Sirius)

Not easy to find that one on the dealer lot at $1000+ invoice. I'd be forced into a $44,000 boring black/silver sport automatic with loads of useless techno crap I don't want or need.

Guess I actually saved close to $9k when I put the apples in my car.

Brother you're preaching to the wrong crowd on this forum...ED is EXCELLENT!!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #110
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Everyone is right in their own way here. Athos correctly notes that the invoice price difference btw ED and regular delivery for a 330 is $2,510 (2,150 for 325). Unless the dealer is willing to cut more off the ED that is the difference. Airfare, hotels, jet lag, the wait, putting up the cash before you get your new car back in the states (and having to keep your old car until the ED arrives) make it a difficult option. That is probably why only 1% of buyers opt for ED.

Others have noted that their dealers were willing to cut more off an ED, for reasons involving allotment. They got a great deal via ED. Some can get a free ticket to Munich. And save not having to rent a car. But anyone can get a reasonable fare off-season, and there is the 2 for 1 Lufthansa deal. Stick to reasonable hotels, and getting to enjoy Germany and beyond, and it is a wonderful experience. The few Gs I save are a deal maker -- I have to convince the wife that a BMW is a good deal compared to a, gulp, Accord or a Camry.
Appreciate 0