E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > hiccup on moderate acceleration

12-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

hiccup on moderate acceleration

I've had my procede rev 3 for a while now, with 50/50 e85 and 80/20 pwm.
on rare ocassion, on moderate acceleration, i would get a hiccup like symptom.
then a couple seconds after that, i see the procede booting up.
it does perfectly fine when i drive like a grandma or when i'm at the track/auto-x.

I was logging it earlier today, you can see from the log that all the values are pretty much blank during these seconds.
Anybody ever experience this before?
no codes ever, and i wonder if it's a misfire or procede hardware got reset.
I've ran across this type of problem in the past, and "fixed" it by switching the power trigger for procede (the other orange wire on green connector).
now it's come back.

any input is appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
335okc
Captain
Rep

bump, nobody ever have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
335okc
Captain
Rep

keep getting these hiccups. i do notice that it happens when the meth isn't flowing yet.
i think it's just a misfire, i wish there's a stupid code to know which cylinder.
i wonder if i just don't have enough ethanol in my fuel mix.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I used to get those temporary dropouts too.

Usually in the fueling side ie AFR's and fuel trims.

Could very well be a misfire.....but then you would think there would be a code stored.

A few other members on here have reported similar droputs in specific channels, so it's obviously not a pc usb connection issue.

Mine has not reappeared for quite a few months now....and I couldn't tell you why

It never hurts to do a complete firmware/map update and clear all your adaptations and see what happens after that.

BTW, I am running the 3-13 maps and firmware.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Sounds like power is still dropping out of Procede momentarily.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Garrett@Vishnu
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2K

I agree, it seems as if the PROcede is losing power momentarily, we recommend that you tap into pin slot 8 on the green power source. I would also recommend running a datalog while parked with the ecu cover off, try moving the wires around while logging to see if the power cuts out while you are adjusting them. Also wouldn't hurt to update to the newest maps and firmware available.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett@Vishnu View Post
I agree, it seems as if the PROcede is losing power momentarily, we recommend that you tap into pin slot 8 on the green power source. I would also recommend running a datalog while parked with the ecu cover off, try moving the wires around while logging to see if the power cuts out while you are adjusting them. Also wouldn't hurt to update to the newest maps and firmware available.
If that was the case.....then why does his datalog still show rpm telemetry during the dropout?

Also - did you notice what appears to be two huge ignition timing fluctuations for no apparent reason just prior to the dropout?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
335okc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett@Vishnu View Post
Thanks for the tips.
I've done the slot 8 pin log ago. and that's what i meant by "fixed" it in the past.
I've done the newest maps and firmware ( i was already in newest firmware, but i reflashed anyway)
i haven't tried wiggling the wires around, will try that.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
335okc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
If that was the case.....then why does his datalog still show rpm telemetry during the dropout?

Also - did you notice what appears to be two huge ignition timing fluctuations for no apparent reason just prior to the dropout?
that's what puzzles me, the RPM seems to read something, everything else is blank.

which ignition timing fluctuations are you talking about?
i think the points where timing goes to 0 is when the AT shifted.
keep in mind this is not a pull, this is just me moderately accelerating through gears.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Remove the meth pump's fuse, then go for a ride and try to get it again. Probably wont show up again, I saw that before and it was related to the inrush of current caused by the pump's starting with the boost switch around 3-4 psi. It sort if disturbed the Procede power and created that hiccup, like if the Procede rebooted.

Fix was to add a large capacitor either on the Procede power wire or across the meth pump's power wire.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
335okc
Captain
Rep

here's the raw log.
I'm actually missing 0.5 second worth of logging in the raw log.
it's very odd, even the CAN DME code resets.
but no other code than the 12140 (intentional)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
335okc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalud View Post
Remove the meth pump's fuse, then go for a ride and try to get it again. Probably wont show up again, I saw that before and it was related to the inrush of current caused by the pump's starting with the boost switch around 3-4 psi. It sort if disturbed the Procede power and created that hiccup, like if the Procede rebooted.

Fix was to add a large capacitor either on the Procede power wire or across the meth pump's power wire.
Wow, that's an idea i haven't tried. did you have this problem in the past?
Since my pump is at the trunk now, maybe i should just use a different relay for the meth pump, keep the trigger.
i wonder how hard it is to tap the battery directly (elegantly).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
335okc
Captain
Rep

earlier today, my flasher was stuck on when i had another episode when meth was spraying. the only way i get it unstuck is to have meth kick in again and the flasher went off. i'm starting to wonder if this is all electrical issue instead of misfire.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
Wow, that's an idea i haven't tried. did you have this problem in the past?
Since my pump is at the trunk now, maybe i should just use a different relay for the meth pump, keep the trigger.
i wonder how hard it is to tap the battery directly (elegantly).
Yes I did. When the pump kicks in it creates a current spike that in turn makes a voltage drop, depending on where you are connected and where the Procede is connected...

I used that capacitor: http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...5-1-ND/2650335

Try disabling the pump (remove fuse) and run that way for a couple days, you'll see if that's the problem.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
earlier today, my flasher was stuck on when i had another episode when meth was spraying. the only way i get it unstuck is to have meth kick in again and the flasher went off. i'm starting to wonder if this is all electrical issue instead of misfire.
Your Procede reboots when the meth pump starts (at 3-4 psi) just before it starts spraying. I even got once (out of 10's occurence) multiple DME codes pointing to connectors being disconnected (MAF, MAP, TMAP etc... implausible values etc) all at once right after the event. That's what confirmed the issue for me. Then I removed the meth pump's fuse and was unable to get the issue again. Placed fuse back, got the issue. Added the capacitor, then no more issue. Simple fix.

Could also be the Procede power wire being loose... Just don't jump to conclusions too fast. Test without the fuse first.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
335okc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalud View Post
Your Procede reboots when the meth pump starts (at 3-4 psi) just before it starts spraying. I even got once (out of 10's occurence) multiple DME codes pointing to connectors being disconnected (MAF, MAP, TMAP etc... implausible values etc) all at once right after the event. That's what confirmed the issue for me. Then I removed the meth pump's fuse and was unable to get the issue again. Placed fuse back, got the issue. Added the capacitor, then no more issue. Simple fix.

Could also be the Procede power wire being loose... Just don't jump to conclusions too fast. Test without the fuse first.
which fuse are you referring to? the only fuse i know (30Amp inline fuse) also power the procede in the DME box. if i take that out, i won't have power to the procede right?
Can i just do map 1 to test without the meth pump?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Okay no I was wired a bit differently (n55)... Instead disconnect the pump's power wire on the relay.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Running the Procede on map 1 will exhibit the same problem because its related to the pump starting (with the boost switch) and not the activation of the meth injector.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #19
335okc
Captain
Rep

thanks for the insight. i forgot the pump is triggered by the boost.
why did you pick that particular capacitor? there are bigger Automotive capacitor it seems like.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Did you feel the hickup or only in the logs? Do you have canclear on?

Kalaud, I need to read over your posts again... so you suspected a spike through the relay? I'm curious and need to freshen up on the wire routing.

I once had an issue where the car died... took a little bit to get it started again. At the time didn't think about Procede loosing power, but later I'm sure this is what happened. I grinded part of the ECU cover down to make a nice pathway for the wires... they were a little pinched before. Never happened again.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #21
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
Kalud, I need to read over your posts again... so you suspected a spike through the relay? I'm curious and need to freshen up on the wire routing.

I once had an issue where the car died... took a little bit to get it started again. At the time didn't think about Procede loosing power, but later I'm sure this is what happened. I grinded part of the ECU cover down to make a nice pathway for the wires... they were a little pinched before. Never happened again.
The relay itself has nothing to do in the problem, its just the inrush current drawn by the pump that is starting once the boost switch triggers.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the insight. i forgot the pump is triggered by the boost.
why did you pick that particular capacitor? there are bigger Automotive capacitor it seems like.
I used that capacitor because I found it easier to source quickly, I don't think you need a larger capacitor, but it would works too.
Appreciate 0