E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > M/S mode really makes a difference?

06-18-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
simont
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport Touring

M/S mode really makes a difference?

Had my 335i M sport touring Auto for a month, mainly drive in the full auto D mode and did not have many opportunities to use the Manual / Sport mode to the full. Did use the kick down function a few times and the acceleration feels linear and smooth and it arrives (with very slight delay) after you pressed the acceleator harder (not full throttle).

Just wondering if the M/S mode does make a noticeable difference in terms of throttle response and acceleration?

I presume that if you just press the flappy paddles wilst in D mode, is it just an manuallised D mode, and does not turn into full Manual/Sport mode (with the aggressive setting) unless you slot the gear lever to the left?

Is it true that the ECU "memorise" and "adopt" your driving style in its mapping so that it's better to drive more aggressively once in a while?

Also is the speed of changing and engaging gears by paddles or by gear lever the same?

Finally What's the difference in terms of fuel consumption if you use either mode all of the time?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
A huge difference IMO.

I use "D" for gentle driving but use DS most of the time - revs higher and more aggressively but I also find it better for very low speed stuff like getting up my stupidly steep driveway. Also better for pulling away from junctions - D tends to stay in 2nd.

For the quickest downshifts, use DS mode but flick the paddle shifter down a cog then almost instantly floor it - I find this is the quickest way to get going quickly. Even DS kickdown has a bit of a delay - paddle shifting reduces this delay but it still hesitates more than a reall good MT.

MPG wise, D does improve mpg as the car is always revving lower - not sure by how much but for a 335i, I'd say a few mpg on a long trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
A huge difference IMO.

I use "D" for gentle driving but use DS most of the time - revs higher and more aggressively but I also find it better for very low speed stuff like getting up my stupidly steep driveway. Also better for pulling away from junctions - D tends to stay in 2nd.

For the quickest downshifts, use DS mode but flick the paddle shifter down a cog then almost instantly floor it - I find this is the quickest way to get going quickly. Even DS kickdown has a bit of a delay - paddle shifting reduces this delay but it still hesitates more than a reall good MT.

MPG wise, D does improve mpg as the car is always revving lower - not sure by how much but for a 335i, I'd say a few mpg on a long trip.
I couldn't put it any better myself!
I love the flexibility of the system and the only minor niggle I can find is that I would really like it if the display showed what gear you're in regardless of mode. It depicts M1, M2, etc., why not D1, D2, etc., instead of just D regardless of what gear you're in?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
If it's anything like the DCT box, then yes it does adapt to your driving style.

I recently had my cars engine a gearbox softwear updated and when I first drove the car, it was terrible, jerky in traffic and held the revs too long in full auto mode,fuel consumption was down by 10%.

I took 1000 miles too sort itself out and is great now.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 05:10 AM   #5
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

I believe the learning element of the box resets after every drive, so it's not a compound thing.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #6
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
I believe the learning element of the box resets after every drive, so it's not a compound thing.
I don't agree, if that were the case every new trip would be as per the first day we picked our cars up, mine is definitely held it's perception of how it thinks I drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #7
simont
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
If it's anything like the DCT box, then yes it does adapt to your driving style.

I recently had my cars engine a gearbox softwear updated and when I first drove the car, it was terrible, jerky in traffic and held the revs too long in full auto mode,fuel consumption was down by 10%.

I took 1000 miles too sort itself out and is great now.
Creepy Coupe,

Is the engine and gearbox ECU software update free of charge (If not any idea of the cost)? Can I ask any BMW dealer to perform it on my 2007 car? Will it invalidate the warranty / insurance? I presume you are not talking about a remap?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
Skid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: It's a Mini Adventure

Garage List
simont have a look at this post.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356453
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simont View Post
Creepy Coupe,

Is the engine and gearbox ECU software update free of charge (If not any idea of the cost)? Can I ask any BMW dealer to perform it on my 2007 car? Will it invalidate the warranty / insurance? I presume you are not talking about a remap?

Thanks
It's free, but you can't just ask them to update it, you have to have a reason, so tell them the engine takes longer to start and it cranks over for longer.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't agree, if that were the case every new trip would be as per the first day we picked our cars up, mine is definitely held it's perception of how it thinks I drive.
I might be wrong it's true. But I did read a thead on here and someone posted up really detailed informaiton about how it worked.

According to that, there are something like 3 programs it uses in DS mode and that these go back to default each time you drive. I'll see if I can find it, was really interesting actually.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here you go, writen by HighlandPete....

"There is no memory in the driver adaptive part of the gearbox. It only adapts to the installed programmes (XE or E in comfort program, S or XS in sport program) and is doing so as you drive, responding to your current conditions, sensor and driver inputs. Each time you start the car it begins again. Just flicking across to D/S breaks the adaptive pattern as well. So drive like granddad and need a quick response, just flick the stick and you are now in one of the sport programmes. Back to D and it all starts adapting again.

Adaption values in the software are a different thing altogether, not to be confused with the continuous driver adaption.

Remember... to quote BMW, "The driver-type adaptation is restarted each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill".

HighlandPete"

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
simont
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
Thanks, that's really useful.

Quote:
It's free, but you can't just ask them to update it, you have to have a reason, so tell them the engine takes longer to start and it cranks over for longer.
Thanks, I think I'll experiment with the D/S mode a bit more first to see if I can get the best out of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I couldn't put it any better myself!
I love the flexibility of the system and the only minor niggle I can find is that I would really like it if the display showed what gear you're in regardless of mode. It depicts M1, M2, etc., why not D1, D2, etc., instead of just D regardless of what gear you're in?

My 335i with DCT does say what gear I am in. e.g M1, M2 or D1, D2 etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
For me, the DS mode does make a difference...keeps the revs in the upper range....BUT nothing beats a real manual gearbox for driving experience!...no dct,dsg,smg,tiptronic,steptronic, or whatever...

Even, when I want to kickdown and it is mechanically safe to do so, it will be the autogearbox which decides to engage the desired gear or not...on several occassions, when braking at high speed, I try to kick down at the same time....the autobox won't engage the gear!....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
cdb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

as has been said, DS mode holds the gears longer for me, and makes everything more responsive...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:18 AM   #16
polonus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ESS VT2-575; 14 F30 328i

Sorry for bumping old tread, but I have another question about that transmissions, related to this subject.

I Have F30 328i. In D it has 3 options: Comfort, Sport and Eco Pro - and this is pretty much simple. When I move gear lever to left, to M/S position it become automatically in a "MS" mode. What the heck is a "MS" mode? It displays gear I am in, as "S4", or "S7" etc. and is fully automatic. What is the difference between DS and MS?

If I only chanage gear once manually, it becomes M mode, and displays gears as M2, M5 etc. To come back to MS mode, I have to go back to D and move again into M. But what is the difference between driving in DS and MS, except no start-stop function?
Appreciate 0