E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > how do i improve my 335xi steering feel?

03-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
eitanshay
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

how do i improve my 335xi steering feel?

Heya,
I've been lurking here for some time but rarely post anything.
I recently sold my 911C4 and purchased a 335xi 6mt. before that I had a miata.
The 335xi seemed like a logical decision for the spirited-minded driver who needs to carry more than a 911 can offer.

To the most part, it delivers. however, what i'm missing the most is the precision handling and feedback from the steering wheel I had in my previous rides. I understand the AWD doesn't help, but since I live in the midwest i rather enjoy the benefits in the winter.

my question to you is, what can i do in order to improve the car's handling? in particular - make it sharper, more accurate and reduce the initial under-steer that i feel. (it feels that when i turn in, the first second feels like it understeers, followed by a natural steering).

thanks in advance,
E.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Look into the M3 parts for your suspension (tension rods, lower control arms) they come with stiffer bushings and will give you more feedback through the steering wheel (as well as add a bit of negative camber). There are some threads on this already that you may want to read to get a better idea of what you need.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You will NEVER be able to achieve the same sort of steering feel and feedback in the 335Xi compared to the two cars you listed.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You will NEVER be able to achieve the same sort of steering feel and feedback in the 335Xi compared to the two cars you listed.
I wouldn't say never, but there is a significant weight difference from those others.

But with a good set of coils you can make the xi into a handling beast.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
I wouldn't say never, but there is a significant weight difference from those others.

But with a good set of coils you can make the xi into a handling beast.
I've sat in and rode with a few Miatas, both stock form and Spec Miata racers. The Xi will never even come close in the "handling" department. Not when it's about 1,500 lbs heavier.

I've sat in, rode with, and drove a few 996 and 997. The Xi will never even come REMOTELY close in the "handling" department. Not when it's about 800 lbs heavier.

You can not defy the laws of physics.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I've sat in and rode with a few Miatas, both stock form and Spec Miata racers. The Xi will never even come close in the "handling" department. Not when it's about 1,500 lbs heavier.

I've sat in, rode with, and drove a few 996 and 997. The Xi will never even come REMOTELY close in the "handling" department. Not when it's about 800 lbs heavier.

You can not defy the laws of physics.
I did mention the weight difference, but he didn't say actual handling, he just said, "feel".

He can get a more responsive "feel" with upgrading some xi suspension parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
eitanshay
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

thanks for pointing me at the right direction. i will look into M3's tension rods & lower control arms.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I'll save you the time: M3 bits don't work on the front of the xi's.

However, you can be the guinea pig and see if the M3 bushings for the front arms can be pressed into the stock xi arms. A tech at the shop I use said that this method was pretty popular with the e46 xi guys.

Best of luck. I have a feeling the xi, properly setup, can be a track monster.
Appreciate 0