E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery overcharging and dies?

09-21-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
AndyDaBoss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg 08' E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.50]
Battery overcharging and dies?

So recently i installed subs/amp in my 2008 335i. I pulled out the negative wire before doing all the install. now after a day or so since installing my system my car died on me. (wouldnt start, no lights, ticking noise in glove box) I jumped start the car and went to a shop to test the battery. The multimeter read 14.5 volts which i believe is more than what i'm suppose to have which is 12 volts. I replaced my battery 2 years ago so it shouldnt have any problem holding a charge but maby is it because i disconnected the battery? i heard that you have to reprogram the battery after disconnecting it but i'm not sure if thats the case. i also pulled up 2 codes

2AB4 DME, internal error: RAM-checksum
2DEC Power management, battery control

Do i have to replace the battery or reprogram it ?

really need help because the car died on me the other day again and i wouldnt want that to happen again .

thanks

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

You need to register the battery if you changed it out if you replaced it with the exact same AH battery. Otherwise it has to be registered and that AH rating changed to what you have.
However I would charge the battery and take it to a parts store that can load it and see if it is truly DOA. You don't need to do anything when removing the negative post but if it was disconnected a long time you might well have some issues but not everything being dead.
Is it possible the sub install is drawing pwr and causing a huge parasitic load?
You can check if this is true however by putting your VOM between the neg post and the neg cable, neg cable not connected. Allow the car to go to sleep and measure the amp draw. Our cars should not draw more than 40miliamps but could be a bit higher since ours are so heavy in the electronics area. However if you see say 100miliamp or more you have something drawing pwr that should not.
Hope this helps some...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

The overcharging could also be due to a bad alternator or bad IBS unit. Better get a competent mechanic to check out the entire charging system.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
AndyDaBoss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg 08' E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
You need to register the battery if you changed it out if you replaced it with the exact same AH battery. Otherwise it has to be registered and that AH rating changed to what you have.
However I would charge the battery and take it to a parts store that can load it and see if it is truly DOA. You don't need to do anything when removing the negative post but if it was disconnected a long time you might well have some issues but not everything being dead.
Is it possible the sub install is drawing pwr and causing a huge parasitic load?
You can check if this is true however by putting your VOM between the neg post and the neg cable, neg cable not connected. Allow the car to go to sleep and measure the amp draw. Our cars should not draw more than 40miliamps but could be a bit higher since ours are so heavy in the electronics area. However if you see say 100miliamp or more you have something drawing pwr that should not.
Hope this helps some...
i just got the battery, starter and alternator tested and it tested out to be okay so hopefully it wont die on me again. system has been removed just for reassurance

Appreciate 0