Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rim question (iForged / Work / ...)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Zürcher
stay modded
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3

Rim question (iForged / Work / ...)

Hello everybody

First i would like to introduce myself since i'm new on e90post.com

I live in Switzerland and i'm 26 years old. I just sold my BMW Z4 and ordered a AW E92 335i with black leather interior and M-Package. I also ordered Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers.

Now i'm looking for new Rims. Acctually i fell in love with the iForged Triumph but i read a lot of bad things about the quality of iForged wheels. What could all the iForge customers tell me about their experience?

I would like to order the wheels in 20inch and with a gold matte disk. I'm not sure if i still like the golden wheels after two years. Therefore i'm looking for three piece wheels which could be disassembled and repainted (for example in black or silver). Is it true that all three piece wheels from iforged are bolted AND welded? This would make it impossible to disassemble the rims and repaint them, which is acctually a no-go criteria.

A alternative would be to buy the Work VS-XX with golden disk. According to my expirience the work wheels are a very good quality. I never had any problems with my Work-Wheels which i had in past. And a big plus is that the Work-Wheels are not welded, so i could disassemble the wheels and repaint the disk.

I know, my enlgish is not the best but i hope you understood everything. If not, don't hesitate to ask me. I will try to explain then

Regards
Zürcher
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

work.

imho, if i'm going to spend that much money, i would want wheels from a wheel company like bbs, work, rays/volk, etc... rather than a boutique wheel company.
      12-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
ifaudi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E55 AMG [E92 Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zürcher View Post
Is it true that all three piece wheels from iforged are bolted AND welded? This would make it impossible to disassemble the rims and repaint them, which is acctually a no-go criteria.

I was able to disassemble my iForged 3 piece wheels. I believe the 2 piece iForged wheels are welded.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Work, Volk, DPE, Enkreuz, BBS, VIP and HRE are all great wheels. These companies make high quality wheels so you cant go wrong with any of them IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
bimmerguy2006
BMW Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Agree 100%. Work rims are some of the best JDM Wheel manufacturers, only topped by Volk/Rays Engineering. Not a single person on my team has had problems with Work or Rays. BBS would be at the top of the list as well for DTM style rims. Stick to those and you cant go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
adrock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [9.58]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
work.

imho, if i'm going to spend that much money, i would want wheels from a wheel company like bbs, work, rays/volk, etc... rather than a boutique wheel company.
+1

I have had non-stop quality issues with my iForged wheels. Thats not to say that all their wheels are poorly manufactured, but it's pretty unusual to hear anything bad about BBS, Volk, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Some IForged can be good, some can be bad. I've read many horror stories about IForged wheels. My best guess is quality control isn't there. I have only heard of one story with DPE wheels, but DPE was quick to correct the issue.

Can't go wrong with BBS wheels though.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy2006 View Post
Agree 100%. Work rims are some of the best JDM Wheel manufacturers, only topped by Volk/Rays Engineering. Not a single person on my team has had problems with Work or Rays. BBS would be at the top of the list as well for DTM style rims. Stick to those and you cant go wrong.
work is part of rays isnt it? just like volk is part of rays. i think rays is the main branch and work and volk are subbranches
      12-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
shragon
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
work is part of rays isnt it? just like volk is part of rays. i think rays is the main branch and work and volk are subbranches
no, work is by itself.

volk and rays is part of mackin industries.
      12-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
i have to admit i am pretty disappointed with my iforged wheels.... they look nice.... i had a couple problems with them at the beginning but Dan fixed everything up.... but the rears dont fit on the hub properly.... way too tight.... it literally takes me 30 minutes to take off the rear driver wheel. rear passenger wheel isnt as bad, but takes at least 10 mins to get off..... the front wheels come off right away...,.. the front wheels go on and off like my OEM wheels....

i also thought that by ordering a 2 piece wheel from iforged, i would have been able to take out the center.... but that is not so.... stupid thing is welded.... and they put removable bolts on a 2 piece welded wheel.... the only good thing about the wheels are that they are forged..... i honestly think they are way over priced for what they are.... if i would have known hey would have been like this, i woud have dished out the extra $$$$ and got some DPE's
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #11
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 JKU Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
no, work is by itself.

volk and rays is part of mackin industries.
close ....

Mackin Industries is the US distributor of Rays wheels ...

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/

Rays wheels include:

Volk
Gram Light
NISMO
TRD
Ralliart
G-Games
Versus
and a few others

Work Wheels are manuf by Work

http://www.work-wheels.co.jp/

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
shragon
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3This View Post
close ....

Mackin Industries is the US distributor of Rays wheels ...

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/

Rays wheels include:

Volk
Gram Light
NISMO
TRD
Ralliart
G-Games
Versus
and a few others

Work Wheels are manuf by Work

http://www.work-wheels.co.jp/

12-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
Bimmerboy87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have iForged and i love them to death Im actually on my 2nd set. There is a sponsor on this forum, themodcity, his name is Dan, everyone goes to him, because he guarantees perfection on the wheels. everyone on this forum that got iforged from him has been very happy. he also sells others, I myself was his customer and my iforged are perfect! make sure to check him out.

P.S. Any problems if you seen them on this forum, have been old problems. about 5 months ago they got some serious high quality control, which is why you see everyone recently having good results.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #14
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

With Work wheels you won't have to worry about vibrations while driving in the rain. Iforged (and HRE for that matter) have been known to collect water in the barrel and cause vibrations in wet weather. This is of course with their reverse lip wheels. I don't think they have issues with their stepped lip wheels.

Work wheels do not have this issue at all. BBS and Volk won't either. 20" Work with a stepped lip would look great.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #15
BimmerFan61
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifaudi View Post
I was able to disassemble my iForged 3 piece wheels. I believe the 2 piece iForged wheels are welded.

Not true. If you get the polished lip they are welded but a chrome lip is not welded. I cant figure out for the life of me why guys get polished lips

Rubbing mothers every month just to get it to look decent. Order the chrome lip!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #16
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerboy87 View Post
I have iForged and i love them to death Im actually on my 2nd set. There is a sponsor on this forum, themodcity, his name is Dan, everyone goes to him, because he guarantees perfection on the wheels. everyone on this forum that got iforged from him has been very happy. he also sells others, I myself was his customer and my iforged are perfect! make sure to check him out.

P.S. Any problems if you seen them on this forum, have been old problems. about 5 months ago they got some serious high quality control, which is why you see everyone recently having good results.
It's a good thing to hear that IForged has fixed their recent QC problems. However, if you do a little research on their past (try other forums), they have a long history of being hit or miss.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #17
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifo View Post
Not true. If you get the polished lip they are welded but a chrome lip is not welded. I cant figure out for the life of me why guys get polished lips

Rubbing mothers every month just to get it to look decent. Order the chrome lip!
Probably because over time, no matter how well you take car of the chrome, it either flakes, peels, or begins to chip. Plus, unless you're really committed and clean it often, the brake dust will pit the chrome. JMO.
      12-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #18
jbimmer3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Work all the way

My fav

Car pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 11:14 PM   #19
docg
Rep
Drives: metallic black 335i coupe

Just received my iforged daytona's and it has scratch in lug nut area. Don't know how inspector could have missed that. I waited 9 weeks for these wheels, if they tell me to send these back. Am scared it will take another month to get it back. What would you guys do? Its in the lug nut area, paint has peeled off. You would see it installed because the bolt pretty hard to see when installed. Would you send it back or just get some touch up pain. Its about 10x 2 mm
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 01:47 AM   #20
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

You waited 9 Weeks! 9 Weeks?

JL
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 02:26 AM   #21
Eurofreak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by docg View Post
Just received my iforged daytona's and it has scratch in lug nut area. Don't know how inspector could have missed that. I waited 9 weeks for these wheels, if they tell me to send these back. Am scared it will take another month to get it back. What would you guys do? Its in the lug nut area, paint has peeled off. You would see it installed because the bolt pretty hard to see when installed. Would you send it back or just get some touch up pain. Its about 10x 2 mm

They sold you wheels that were mounted with lug nut marks? Are you serious?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 02:51 AM   #22
AW335iCoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW 335i

If you want the biggest lip, go with the iforged, they are the best quality for the price. I have iforged as well, and truly i will never go with any other wheel But iforged, I give them
Appreciate 0