E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Discs

09-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Discs

Dear Friends,

I drive an E93 335i,

Need some help selecting discs - I have some yellow stuff pads but also need discs.

I don't want a BBK but a step up from standard could be nice ?? Any pointers to something grooved / drilled ? Heard some horror stories hence why I'm reaching out.

Or should I just go OEM and be done with it ?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Someone mentioned the z4 35is disks which are apparantly better then stock and fit easily.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

yea they are meant to be ever so slightly better... but i think people prefer them in teh states mainly due to the design and aesthetics.

The OEM discs are actually very good! Especially once combined with a great pad, cable and fluid setup.

But i know what you mean bud. I want to upgrade the performance of the disc as well as improve the looks behind the wheel.

Everywhere i have looked, various discs have their pros and cons. Some warp too easily, some are too noisy etc...

I was looking at some Stoptech drilled rotors. I love drilled rotors and people say the crack... but they should be ok for road use. I do not think they like High track temps and are more prone to cracking then.

Someone please correct me if i am wrong, but this is all hear say from experienced track junkies.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The guys in the US rate the stoptech stuff and it was those that I am investigating.

Can we get them in the UK.?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

I went with the Combo of slotted Stoptech and EBC yellow pads due to alot of good and bad reviews from the US. I don't mind spending money to try things but here is what i think after driving a few hundred miles on them.

Old disc wrapped due to extreme braking, my cool carbon pads still had half of life left. i wanted to get rid of brake judder but it was beyond cure and didn't want to risk the putting old pads on and getting the same thing.

My new set up:

Disc :Slight shake when initial braking - this is to be expected as there is less surface and the slot can contribute to the shake abit. Seems to gone away after braking in.

EBC yellow - LESS initial bite but then it clamps hard the more you step on it. Giving it quite a good linear feel but some times there is a few toilet moments because of the less initial bite( i know this is because the disc is not upto temp) i might just get another set of cool carbons after my track day event..

Have you tuned you car? if not just by upgrading the disc alone would be nice enough, don't go with EBC disc. My friend who has a Golf R and has change to them , threw them in the bin.

I got mine from here

http://www.srbpower.com/products/STO...006-%252d.html

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks mate,

Car is tuned with jb4, DP's , FMIC , DCI and just had new sparks and service !

Have some yellow stuff pads waiting to go on but need new discs hence this thread and will probably go with the stop tech - did the rear discs cone with handbrake shoes ?

thanks for response and feedback mate
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Yoro have you followed the bed in procedure for the yellow stuff pads? Can take around 1k miles plus until they are perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Yoro have you followed the bed in procedure for the yellow stuff pads? Can take around 1k miles plus until they are perfect.
+1

I had EBC slotted discs on the E60
Quite noisy, particularly under light/normal braking, but not bad when using them for what they were intended.

Mike
Appreciate 0