E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Valentine 1 Remote - Best Location in E90/1?

07-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Valentine 1 Remote - Best Location in E90/1?

Folks:

I'm looking for opinions/suggestions as to the best place to mount the remote display for my Valentine 1 on my 2008 E91. As you can see from the pic, I currently have it in the little tray on the center console, but I'm not wild about this for aesthetic and practical reasons. Aesthetic in that it looks a little temporary (I know I could eventually drill a hole in the bottom of the tray to run the cord out of...but still); but more important, practical as the display does little good if I have to lower my eyes from the road to see it.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out a good place for it that doesn't mean looking down. I've seen the post where someone used a binder clip to secure it to the little ledge right below the tach or speedo...but IMO that blocks the bottom gauges. Plus, it requires snaking the cable up around the steering wheel column, which also seems sort of ugly. Same deal with the mod where it's mounted in the ashtray. It could also probably be affixed to the upper dash somehow, but that would make it visible from behind and the side (e.g. to anyone following or to my side), and that sort of undoes the purpose of the remote.

Frankly, simply not using the display is possible in that it's easy to see the detector (and mute it, etc.) where I have that mounted (top of the windshield to the right of the mirror) is quite accessible; but I've gotten used to operating the thing entirely in stealth mode in my previous car (MINI S), and I'd like to be able to do that in this car.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
ash tray or on the steering column custom setup
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

here you go, lots and lots of ideas

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35659

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...?t=1609&page=9
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Thanks for the links!

Lots to plow through there...but a quick look shows that the two problems I point out - i.e., the remote either blocks gauges or is mounted in a place where you need to look down/away from the road to see the arrows and bogey count - stand for nearly everyone. (well, except for the guy who posted pictures of how he has it mounted in his A4 )
Appreciate 0