E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > installing KW V3's..any tips?

03-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
installing KW V3's..any tips?

I am installing my coilovers this weekend and was wondering if any of you had any tips or things to look for during installation. Anything by the strut? Metal spacer? I've installed setups previously on my other cars, so I'm confident this can be done.
      03-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

make sure to bring a partner, WD40 and a crow bar. The rears were easy and straight forwards. Just make sure to unscrew the control arm at the correct bolt to not mess up ur alignment. As for the front, one side the strut came out after applying wd40 but the other side, no matter how much wd40 we put on, the strut would not slip out. Ended up having to use a crow bar to pry the collar apart slightly and using a mallet on the strut... It took about 30 mins before we got that one side out.

O, one more thing, the front strut tops, require i think either a 25mm or 26mm socket to tighten that nut. Make sure its not an impact socket? Or maybe the one we had happened to be slightly too fat....
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
GhOsT_E90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [0.00]
I just my KW V2 last weekend. I had a bit of trouble until i figured out how to do it. The fastest way is if you can use a lift if not its probably going to be a all day thing, just my option. The rear is pretty easy, first just remove the lower nut on the shock, should be a 18mm. Next you going to need a jack under the rear lower control arm, then remove the lower control arm nut and bolt from the rear spindle both are 21mm, then lower the jack so the lower control arm starts to drop and the spring will come out. Then all thats left is the upper connection of the shock. I am not sure about the V3 rear coilover setup, but i would premeasure the adjust coilover to almost max measurement that way when the springs settle it should be about the right height. Your instructions will give you more details about what i am talking about. An if you do the measurements first your not going to have to lower and raise the car a bunch of times.

Now the fronts alittle more of a pain, My best recomendation is to have a few extra T40 torq bits, each lower control arm, tie rod, and another lower rodend will spin when you start lossening your lower rodends so a T40 bit is required to hold the rodend from spinning as your lossening the 21mm nut. Now i had the most trouble with the steering rack tie-rod ends, had to use vise grips to hold the rodend cup from spinning. I dont think BMW made them to be removed from the car so soon. Also make you take care and remove the brake caliber, i tied it up so its not hanging and i left all brake lines connected. Also your going to need a spring compressor so you can remove upper strut bearing mount, and the nut on top is 21mm. Now to get the strut out of the spindle, i found it easier to hammer a large screwdriver length wise between the open space to spread the spindle pinch area, then use a 2x4 and a hammer and knock out the old strut. Since the spindle is already open the KW strut should slide right in, just remove tap out the screwdriver and temporarly install the pinch bold and it will hold the strut in place until you reinstall the assy.

Like i said about the rear, you can set your front measurements of the coilover first, dont worry so much about thread count. Just base everything on the measurements the intructions tell you record, then once a baseline is set and the car is on the ground and the car is at a driveable height. I would go out and drive the car, drive it through some decent turns and road conditions a few days for the suspensiont o settle then readjust.

Hope it all makes sense. This weekend i have to make hopefull my final ride height adjustments, espically the rear. I am having some tire rub issues, since once i really get on the gas the rear likes to drop down under hard accealeration, but your V3s you can adjust your bound and rebound settings so you might not have that much of a problem.
Mods: JB3,RR catted DP, RennArt resonated exhaust, AFE intake, 19x8.5 & 19.9.5 Linea Corsea Strasse mounted on Nitto Invo 235/35/19front & 285/30/19rear. M3 spoiler, front spilters and ACS roof spoiler. And whooping Blue0013 around the Nurburgring all day long.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
thanks guys! luckily I have a lift..I will pass this info on to a buddy who will be doing most of the work.