E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > UUC Short Shift Kit (SSK) & Double-Shear Selector Rod (DSSR) **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

03-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

UUC Short Shift Kit (SSK) & Double-Shear Selector Rod (DSSR) **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

About 3 weeks ago, my clutch let go on the dyno during a run where I produced 526 rwhp (dynojet corrected). I knew I had to replace the clutch, but I felt if I had the transmission dropped then maybe I should improve some other drivetrain aspects of the 135/335. After some thought I decided that I would update the following:

1. Short Shift Kit
2. LSD
3. Clutch/Flywheel

I have never been happy with the BMW stock shifter at all. It is tall, luggy, sloppy, and has significant side-to-side play. While in gear, I can move my knob 1/2" - 1" in all directions. In my opinion, it really is a very poorly designed shift lever and linkage. I decided this was the ideal time to replace the shifter / linkage and this launched me into my search.

There are short shift kits out there, but not all the kits address all the issues with shifter. Some only change the height, but not the pivot point, some only address the shift, some are shorter but the effort to move the shifter increases, etc. There was one company that seemed to address all the shift problems almost as a science and that was UUC. All you have to do is visit their website and spend about 30 minutes reading about their short shift kits (SSK) / double-shear selector rods (DSSR) and you realize this company takes shifting very seriously. UUC bolsters some strong positives to their shifter:

Quote:
- The exact same 35% reduction in shift travel (100mm from 3rd gear to 4th gear total travel) is retained at stock height, and down to over 40% when height is adjusted to the short end of the adjustment range.

-Completely self-contained and self-adjusting primary pivot bearing assembly.

-New full-length internal vibration absorbing material that surpasses any OE or aftermarket material for longevity and retention of design specifications.

I felt I had some good info on the UUC products and I decided to make the plunge. I ordered the following:

1. UUC Short Shift Kit Evo 3
2. UUC DSSR

Experience with UUC

There are a lot of first time BMW owners because of the N54 in the 135i/335i. Many of us have no clue who UUC is and I was one. UUC has been making BMWs better since 1998. UUC is not a reseller, but a manufacturing company. They don't sell someone elses SSK and DSSR, they design and make their own SSK and DSSR. For us, this means we have BMW enthusiasts that have our needs in mind when designing the products.

I was fortunate during my order to chat a little with Rob at UUC. He immediately gave me great confidence in UUC as a company. He was tremendously knowledgable on their products and made me feel very good about my choice. Shortly after my order, I received an invoice via email from UUC and tracking info not long after.

UUC took great care to make sure the package arrived to me undamaged with superior packaging and protection.

The SSK and DSSR were protected well in a smaller cardboard box.

The smaller box conatined the SSK, DSSR, all connecting hardware, locktite, lubrication tubes, and instructions.

This is the DSSR and connecting hardware. You can tell this is a superbly machined item and I mean top notch.

To be quite honest, the shifter is nothing less than tremendously well engineered.

The shift pivot point.

The shifter locking hardware.

The alloy steel upper section of the shifter. You can see the height adjustment and locking screw.

Finally the hardware to install the short shifter.

The shipping process was easy and painless from UUC and I really have had a great first experience with UUC.

Install

Since my transmission was lowered, some things may not completely apply to all.

UUC comes with a superb instruction manual. It covers things quite well, so I will only supplement it.

Starting the process is as simple as removing the shift knob. Do you really just pull up the knob? Yup.

Lift out the knob and remove the boot. The boot is held with 2 clips on the driver's side and 2 clips on the passenger side of the boot.

Below you see the foam surrounding the shift knob and the rubber boot that seals the passenger cabin. You will need to remove both to re-install later.

At this point, I dropped down below the car and removed the shifter assembly from the car. The shifter assembly is held in the front by two vertical clips and 2 bolts in the rear. You can see the bolts removed in the picture below.

This picture below shows the front clips holding the shifter assembly. The UUC kit replaces these, so don't worry if you damage them.

Finally just unclip the knob itself from the shift rod shown below. It is held on by a slide pressure clip that is replaced in the UUC kit so you don't have to worry about damaging it.

If you are doing the DSSR, it is a simply replacement for the stock part using the included hardware from UUC. Look at the difference between the DSSR and the stock shift rod. Just a small difference. LOL!

Remove the stock shift rod andiInstall the new DSSR using the included hardware. Always remember to lubricate parts that will pivot.

This is what it would look like with the tranny on the car.

Install the cup according to the UUC instructions using the included locktite on the allen key screws.

Now let's get this whole kit assembled. Reinstall the shifter assembly in the car with the new locking clips for the front and the bolts for the rear.

Back into the cabin to finish the shifter. The UUC instructions describe how the components will go together in the shift cup. Don't forget to install the lower pivot bushing into the cup! Lubricate the heck out of the pivot ball and drop it into the cup noting the lower bushing is in place. The orientation of the shifter arm will have it bending forward and toward the driver's side if you install it correctly.

The locking circular clip can be a bit tricky if you don't have a good set of needle nose pliars. The locking clip has holes for a thin tip needle nose pliar set and that is what I used to lock it in place easily.

Drop back below the car and assembly the shift lever to the DSSR using the included hardware as instructed by the UUC directions.

Reinstall the rubber lower boot that seals the cabin and foam surrounding the shift level.

Adjust the height of the lever using the allen bolt on the side of the shift and lock it in place. Throw your knob back on and shift boot and your install is done.

Results

First lets compare the stock level to the UUC short shifter.

Stock lever.

UUC lever.

The difference is almost comical! The UUC has superior build quality (T-304 steel), superb acoustic dampening, and better ergonomics.

When I took the car out for a drive the difference was remarkable. The UUC DSSR completely got rid of the lateral slop and I mean completely. Before I could put my car in gear and move the lever all over the place, now it is absolutely locked in place. I didn't expect the improvement to be so dramatic to be honest.

The UUC short shifter height was great for me just how it came from the factory. It centers 100% perfect on my car for neutral. The shifts are 35% shorter when the lever is at the highest adjustable height and 40% shorter when the level is at the lowest adjustable height. The shifts are tremendously precise on the UUC SSK and they are noticeably shorter.

Now it was time to take the car for a drive! The difference is immediately noticeable. You really don't realize how bad and long the stock shifts are until you get an SSK. Now, I can aggressively drive my BMW with short and accurate shifts. It really gives you more confidence in each shift and connects the driver better to the car. There is virtually no increase in pressure to change gears thanks to UUC altering the pivot point on their SSK. Overall the shifting is enormously improved!

Finally, I have to admit I have had some concern about going with a SSK because sometimes you can get a little gear noise in the cabin. The UUC SSK has superb accoustic dampening. There is no gear noise whatsoever in the cabin from the shifter at all. I did notice a slight bit more notchy feel when engaging gears every once in a while, but it is very minimal

Conclusions

I am really glad I got to learn about UUC and their history with BMW. My introduction into their product line was with the UUC SSK / DSSR and I couldn't be happier. Rob at UUC was very knowledgable and tremendously helpful through the process. UUC's shipment communication was fantastic, the items arrived in pristine condition, and the build is second to none. The installation instructions were very good and easy to follow with many illustrations.

From a performance standpoint, I couldn't have asked for more. This UUC DSSR completely removed all the slop that was present in my stock shifter. The UUC short shift kit reduced the travel from 35%-40% and improved the design of the stock shifter in every aspect. The shifts are now very accurate and precise with little to no increase in effort. There is no gear noise whatsoever so this is a well acoustically dampened lever. Finally, it is height adjustable to meet the driver's needs. There is a very small increase in gear "notchiness", but it is minimal at most.

I would definitely make this purchase again with all the information I now have.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

this SSK was one of the first mods i did to my car, and i tell everyone it is a MUST!!! i should probably pony up and get the DSSR now too, as i'm pretty sure it was unavailable when i bought my SSK.
      03-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Great write up! Thanks!
      03-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Great DIY..I'm shocked you had that much play (1/2 inch to 1 inch) when in gear..that doesn't sound right...On my stock shifter I have ZERO play..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I installed the UUC SSK in my 99 540 Sport 6M in 2004 at 35K miles (before they came out with the DSSR). Hugh difference!! Made the manual really feel responsive and you didn't have to "fish" for the shift slots like the stock. I agree, it is a bit "notchy", but I like it. Once you get used to it, don't even notice it.

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S Guards Red

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
just installed the ssk a few weeks ago, now im REALLY wanting the dssr! very nice writeup. UUC is great, I got to ride around in John's e90 M3 when I was picking my ssk up... insanely good driver, I have never experienced driving like that! Everyone I met at UUC was very knowledgeable, highly recommend the ssk. by far the best mod I have done to my car!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
kirby135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

for those of you that did the SSK...did u also switch out CDV?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

Thanks Former Boosted for you write-ups! You are an excellent contributer to this forum!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S Guards Red

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby135i View Post
i did, and half the reason I'm so happy with UUC, they guided me through the process very well (I ran into issues with bleeding the clutch, a true PITA without a power bleeder!!!!!)

further, I feel that the cdv delete was just as big of a change as the ssk. it should be the first thing you do for a 6mt imo...

and a huge thanks to Former Boosted IS for this review and writeup, always great info!
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I see you still have the stock shift knob.. get rid of that thing it's part of the problem! get the m-sport one asap
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
The UUC ssk is the best. I had it on my 330ci and just loved it.

Great DIY!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
dtp3347
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver E92 335i

I switched from the BMW SSK to this one after some convicing by John at UUC. Definitely a HUGE difference in quality and shifting feel. Was a very worthwhile purchase.

PS. dropping the drive shaft wouldve made it 10000x easier for us lol

Edit : also if anyone is looking for sway bars ask UUC about them. Their Swaybarbarian bars are incredibly well made and im definitely going to pick up a set when i get some extra cash. Really everything that UUC makes is incredibly well designed and manufactured.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby135i View Post
Yes. Great combination, I'm very happy with both. In particular, it's one modification that you really use a lot and feel distinctly every time you drive. Even more so if you swap cars from time to time...!

Thanks also to FBIS for the great write-up that describes exactly what I'm experiencing as well - I have the SSK+DSSR since about 6 weeks ago and it's truly great.

@FBIS: I still have some (albeit little) slop when in gear. I read on the M-Forum that sometimes the washers used by UUC are undersized which induces slop - do you think that's the cause?

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
Jon3sy
Rep
Drives: 93 BMW 325is 87 Porsche 911 C

Ive got quite a few UUC parts on my 325. Real top notch quality and this is the best short shifter ive ever felt.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

is this even possible with the tranny still in place. I'd really like to change to this set up but I'm a weekend driveway mechanic and don't have time to go to a shop to get this done during the week. I'll hhave to peak under there some time to see if it's even possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Wow, BMW folks definitely like their SSKs....

Nice writeup.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #17
dtp3347
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKhan85 View Post
is this even possible with the tranny still in place. I'd really like to change to this set up but I'm a weekend driveway mechanic and don't have time to go to a shop to get this done during the week. I'll hhave to peak under there some time to see if it's even possible.
yes it is possible but it wouldnt be fun on ramps. We did it withough removing the driveshaft or the exhaust but I have a lift.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #18
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I can see how the double-sided shift rod could improve shift feel by exerting force evenly on the tranny lever...

I wish they'd sell just that part.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
dtp3347
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
I can see how the double-sided shift rod could improve shift feel by exerting force evenly on the tranny lever...

I wish they'd sell just that part.
they do. thats the dssr
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #20
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp3347 View Post
yes it is possible but it wouldnt be fun on ramps. We did it withough removing the driveshaft or the exhaust but I have a lift.
Dtp's lift was really helpful in installing the DSSR. However, I had to reinstall it on ramps and it was close to impossible but I managed to do it. My small hands helped a lot.

I still have a lot of in-gear slop with the DSSR. I also have 37k miles on my car so maybe that's why.

The Evo3 + DSSR is a great upgrade though - one of my favorite mods.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #21
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Great DIY..I'm shocked you had that much play (1/2 inch to 1 inch) when in gear..that doesn't sound right...On my stock shifter I have ZERO play..
yes u do...probalby just dont realize it.

Love my UUC ssk and DSSR as well.

good product.

FBI....glad u picked up that one, you'll enjoy it. UUC makes great pieces, lately their clutches seemed to be less than perfect though.
      03-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #22
JacksonHandy
Clearing the Way
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I ordered mine on the 1st. It hasn't shipped yet. I'm getting antsy. Like Ricky Bobby says, I wanna go fast.

SCTW!

Mods? Maybe, Maybe not.....
Appreciate 0