E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2010 Sirius Problem: Workaround

01-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 335i

Lightbulb 2010 Sirius Problem: Workaround

Re: 2010 Sirius Radio Perpetual "Acquiring" Status Problem

So, I recently took delivery of my '10 E92 with Sirius and, like many other recent owners of this model year with this option, am experiencing issues with the Sirius satellite radio. Namely, being stuck perpetually in "acquiring" status, among other things.

Well, this issue really p!ssed me off b/c I had significant quality problems with my last vehicle and it is tough to swallow to have such an issue on a brand new vehicle.

Putting my rage aside, I did some testing and found that the following process will allow you to use Sirius. NOTE -- this is NOT a BMW fix, really just a "band-aid" until the crew in Munich get around to actually deploying the software code that SHOULD have come with this vehicle in the first place. You know, the code that doesn't get Sirius jacked up and that doesn't send the passenger seat belt butler forward when no passenger is present in the seat? Yeah, that code. The one that SHOULD HAVE BEEN TESTED IN THE FIRST FREAKING PLACE.

So, if you want to be able to use your Sirius option, here is a workaround:

i) Enter vehicle & insert key -- DO NOT START ENGINE
ii) Adjust mirrors, put on seat belt -- kill a few seconds
iii) Watch Sirius status change from "acquiring" to a station name
iv) Start vehicle & drive off with functioning Sirius stations

MODS
-- Please note, I put this thread here b/c the AV forum gets very little traffic, comparatively speaking and I've seen several posts about this issue recently.

It would really be great if BMW's software code didn't get worse with a new model year. The quality issues I've seen with this new vehicle and my last E92 make me seriously wonder if they got the Ford Pinto TQM managers working in Munich on the E9x...

Last edited by Kerosene Hat; 01-01-2010 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
FYI
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI B 65 37 09 RAD2.pdf (16.6 KB, 1342 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
assclown
The Main Act
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Thank you for posting the SIB!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, montego Blue

Just picked up my 2010 335d with L7 and sat radio. I have the same issue right out of the box. Sat radio will not acquire. Your work around didn't work for me. How long should I wait before starting the car? I didn't wait long. Maybe that is why it didn't work for me. Waiting to see what dealer is going to do about issue.

HS
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
Rep

Tested your work around this morning in the garage, and that seemed to work. Sometimes it would drop out but that maybe to being in the garage, I will test this on the street soon and report back. If this works I will not be as pissed. Mine acquired fast I hardly noticed it...

HS
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonScott View Post
Tested your work around this morning in the garage, and that seemed to work. Sometimes it would drop out but that maybe to being in the garage, I will test this on the street soon and report back. If this works I will not be as pissed. Mine acquired fast I hardly noticed it...

HS
I find I need to wait about 15 - 30 seconds. For me, this entails basically putting my seat from position "2" (memorized for exit - fully reclined, etc to protect side bolster) to "1" (normal driving position), and putting on my seat belt. Basically, you will see "acquiring" on the receiver display (in SAT mode, bt) and then a station name. Once you see the station name, you are good to go.

15 to 30" is a long time to wait on a cold morning in January, btw...!

Now to check out that SIB...
      01-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
FYI
Thanks for posting the SIB, but BMW's info is basically worthless to us.

The SIB is basically BMW saying to the consumer - F_ You, you just bought a 50K car, live with crap functionality. Satellite radio integration has been offered for years - somehow, it gets F'd up in the middle of a model lifecycle on NEWLY BUILT vehicles?

For real - Sirius integration is better in my buddy's pickup truck.

I stand by my comments - the code that SHOULD have come with the car DIDN'T. The FORD quality gurus could do a better job than this!!!
      01-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

I posted on this issue in early November - when I took delivery of my '10 335xi coupe. I have sen variations on this work around, and find that sometimes they work, sometimes not. I also became aware of the SIB last month through a local dealer, and yes, the approach seems to be "too bad on you", though not the dealer's fault as they are left holding the bag for BMW central. My concern is that, with the "short sheeted" 2010 model year, this will fall by the wayside as BMW has bigger fish to fry.

The issue arose, apparently because the satellite receiver "chip" was integrated into the head unit. I wonder how BMW is handling things as they move forward to 2011 MY cars?

Anyone have any infor out there?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

BMW will fix it you just need to give them time to create a programming fix...and yes the satelite radio is now internal to the radio and not an external module as it previously was in every single model until now...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
BMW will fix it you just need to give them time to create a programming fix...and yes the satelite radio is now internal to the radio and not an external module as it previously was in every single model until now...
Yeah, only problem is that Sirius has been an option for the whole model lifecycle if not longer, right?

Therefore their code should be properly developed to support this - right? Yes.

Okay, so the h/w interface changed - all the MORE reason to test your code and functionality when making a change.

The "give BMW some time" argument wears thin with many (myself included) - they have had time for HPFP (not fixed), wastegate and turbo design issues (not fixed) and various electrical malfunctions, exploding sunroofs, etc.

This is hardly a new vehicle or configuration - if BMW changes the hardware spec, that's their obligation to get it right the first time.
      01-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
Rep

I am going to give them about one month then demand my money back for the system. Now can we just add one of the off the shelf sirius receivers and will the system work? Can I switch to XM on this system with one of the XM receivers? Have XM on 09 suburban and it rocks. Also have 2 years subscription ($4.99per mounth) that allows 5 receivers and this could be one. Love that Bose radio in Chevrolet. Very cool. I might demand an equal after market system be install by BMW at their cost on XM for one year.

HS
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
I am going to give them about one month then demand my money back for the system. Now can we just add one of the off the shelf sirius receivers and will the system work? Can I switch to XM on this system with one of the XM receivers? Have XM on 09 suburban and it rocks. Also have 2 years subscription ($4.99per mounth) that allows 5 receivers and this could be one. Love that Bose radio in Chevrolet. Very cool. I might demand an equal after market system be install by BMW at their cost on XM for one year.

HS
If it's a 2010 w/ iDrive, it may not be that easy as the Sirius receivers are now integrated within the head units.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
Rep

My 2010 335d doesn't have iDrive. I will report that the work-around works for me. I let the system acquire before starting the car and the system worked just fine. I haven't had to wait for more than about 3 seconds for the lock-on, before I can put on my seat belt I was good to go and started the car. I may except this if a fix required to much dissassembly to repair. I don't want the dash torn up to make a repair.

HS

HS
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #14
mburg
MBurg
Rep

Quote:
My 2010 335d doesn't have iDrive. I will report that the work-around works for me. I let the system acquire before starting the car and the system worked just fine. I haven't had to wait for more than about 3 seconds for the lock-on, before I can put on my seat belt I was good to go and started the car. I may except this if a fix required to much dissassembly to repair. I don't want the dash torn up to make a repair.

HS

HS
Only works if you don't park in a garage!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
Rep

No, my car starts in the garage and the system locked on in the garage with the garage door up. With the door up that puts a sheet of steal above the antenna, but it still locks on.

HS
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
B-52Gunner
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Satellite radio is not always sent directly to your car via satellite, but is sometimes sent to a repeater and then to your vehicle - if you have a crappy repeater serving your area you will have issues in a built up area.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #17
Newbie328
Waiting Game
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Coupe M Sports

sucks but it works after all

I want to say thank you to the original post of this thread. You have helped me when sirius and bmw has failed. I have went to them three times for this acquiring problem and still crap. It REALLY SUCKS however thanks to your tip, it takes me less than one minute sometimes as fast as 10 seconds to get it to pop into stations then like you said turn on the car and go and enjoy.

it hasnt failed me one time since then, it only fails me when i forget and turn my car right on, besides that if bmw and sirius cant fix it, this solution i will gladly take and utilize

THANK YOU
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
mburg
MBurg
Rep

Yes, I also now find that waiting just a few seconds between inserting "key" and pressing start works. I wait long enough for the system to link to my cell phone, and this wait has workedd for the past 1 week.

i think this provides a window on where the problem might lie - something about the interruption of power to the head unit between the key insert and engine start.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #19
autobahn75
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

The whole issue with the SDARS2 is ridiculous. In fact the radio itself is horrible. It has overall low volume and poping and scratching when vol is turned up. Who makes it Jensen?

First my 2008 328xi died at 26,000 miles. By died I mean catastrophic engine problems followed by a Buy Back. Now this issue with the radio on my 2010. I am really embarrassed by this. How can a company like BMW mess up Sirius?

My car has 550 miles on it. I wish I could just bring it back. I know it sounds like an overreaction but I'm done. I don't want credit for the radio or a month's payment I just want an Accord Coupe V6 Manual. This all coming from a person who has owned (5) BMW 3 series [e30, e30, e46, e90 and e90 LCI].

Rant Ended
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #20
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie328 View Post
I want to say thank you to the original post of this thread. You have helped me when sirius and bmw has failed. I have went to them three times for this acquiring problem and still crap. It REALLY SUCKS however thanks to your tip, it takes me less than one minute sometimes as fast as 10 seconds to get it to pop into stations then like you said turn on the car and go and enjoy.

it hasnt failed me one time since then, it only fails me when i forget and turn my car right on, besides that if bmw and sirius cant fix it, this solution i will gladly take and utilize

THANK YOU
Glad to help - I kind of stumbled on this "patch" over Christmas. Unfortunately, now my radio will sometimes not even get to "acquiring" status and leave me with "00" values on the head unit. I feel like the dealer has laid his own chip on "00" on the roulette wheel and I lose when this happens.

To the poster who mentioned power interruption - yep, I agree, this sounds like a possible cause.

To Autobahn75 - yeah, I am pretty much done, too. Add to this that the dealer doesn't even give a crap when I try to call in about my sub-par experience and give them a chance to save their "5s" survey results and they don't follow up with me - I am def done with one BMW dealer in Decatur, GA and will have to see how reliable this vehicle proves to be if I even CONSIDER a 3rd BMW next time.

<rant>

I'll say it again - raising price, deleting features, and moving stadard features to paid options DOESN'T WORK. BMW NA, AG and dealers are NOT OUR CUSTOMERS - so why do I feel like I am the seller after I bought a 50K car? I just want the damn thing to work for ONE MINUTE OUT OF THE BOX!!!

</ rant>
      01-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #21
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-52Gunner View Post
Satellite radio is not always sent directly to your car via satellite, but is sometimes sent to a repeater and then to your vehicle - if you have a crappy repeater serving your area you will have issues in a built up area.
Makes sense, except my XM RoadyXT with antenna moutned on my interior rear deck got better reception than the "sharkfin" does. In my case, I know this is a sh!tty design issue - why would a $14 cable inside the car do better than the roof-mounted antenna?

Just lazy engineering & QA by BMW. Really arrogant and unacceptable.
      01-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #22
GAT20
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335ix

I have found a "fix" that works 95% of the time: Be sure your radio is already off when you start the engine. When the satellite radio starts it works normally.

Now if only the CD wouldn't rstart at a random track the world would be a wonderful place...
Appreciate 0