E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > My E92 on ST Coilovers and VMR 710 Review! (Long with lots of pics)

06-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
My E92 on ST Coilovers and VMR 710 Review! (Long with lots of pics)

Some background about me: I price shop the shit out of everything I buy, and I gauge whether or not a few extra dollars is worth a new relationship with a vendor.

Before pic: Please ignore me on the ground.. with the helmet.. and bear.. and bad farmer's/watch tan... It's a part of the Houston group's picture challenge game. Join if you haven't

The Wheels:

I wanted VMR 710's in 18" staggered for a long time now, but never pulled the trigger since I had new tires on my stock 17" wheels and didn't want to waste them. I finally decide to pull the trigger, and guess what? They are on national back order. Not a single vendor has a complete set (since they source from VMR directly).

Supreme Power was the last vendor that hadn't gotten back to my PM yet. Eric PM's me with a phone number. It's 11pm, and I'm wondering "uh, now??" I call, and low and behold Eric is there to answer my call. We talk about how the wheels are on back order, but then a light bulb goes off. He suddenly remembers that he has a full set! I was going to buy these wheels no matter the price at this point. I was expecting the full $850+$100 shipping, but I got an amazing price instead. You'll just have to PM him to find out

Eric, whom is there at SP alone, even takes the time out to unpack the boxes while still holding the phone just to make sure that the right wheels are in there with the right offsets and finish. He takes it one step further and picture messages me the two different types of VMR center caps. He sends both sets. I got a tracking # the next day.

I get the wheels in 2 enormous boxes which are very heavily padded with sheets of cardboard. Inside are 2 boxes each containing one wheel. Every wheel has a soft cloth cover on the face, and is fully wrapped in a heavy duty plastic bag. All in all, VERY secure packaging.

The Coilovers

This was a very hard decision for me. I bought Supreme Power's lowering perches, but ultimately decided to forego it and go straight to coils. I price shopped KW V1's everywhere, and nothing was cheaper than about 1100. Sonic Tuning offers a kit for 850, but since they don't have a large reputation yet, I decided to write them off as well. I then discovered ST V1 coilovers. They are the same as KW V1 but use galvanized instead of stainless steel. Since I live in Texas where it never snows, this was no issue for me. They were also significantly cheaper.

Alan from **********s and Eric from PYSpeed both did their best to get me set up with these coils, and their customer service was superb. Alan is readily available via phone, and Eric is also readily available via AIM as well as phone. The AIM feature was GREAT, and I recommend the other vendors participate in it as well.

After putting in an email to Eric from Supreme Power, he gave me a price I couldn't refuse, once again. I paypal'd the money and he even accommodated my special delivery date for me (since I was out of town for a week and didn't want people nicking it off my porch).

I got the coils from Fedex. The packaging has some really lame Ford-esque car illustration on the box, but it's well packed inside.

The coils felt of high quality for the price, but obviously no Ohlins. I had no qualms.

Eric from Supreme Power was a true pleasure to work with. We have 63 emails on log as well as 21 PM's and several phone calls. He's answered every question I've thrown at him within a day, and even "goes to the back" to look for parts per my request. Oh, and he sent me a machined aluminum license plate frame that I know costs something like $30 to make.

The Installs (Houston)

I called every shop. Price quotes ranged from $300 to $900 just for coilover installs. I decided to go with EVS Motors for several reasons: Price, reputation, customer service, and their leverless tire mounting machine.

I called Ted to talk prices, and eventually met up with him. Stand up guy. I ended up referring several people including another member with an E90 for Sonic Tuning's S1 coilover install. Ted gave me a very fair price and I eventually left my car there. The coils were installed by the end of the day, but I had stupidly forgotten about my 20mm spacers in the back. With the new offsets, the fender pretty much sat on top of the wheel.

Ted was very understanding in my schedule as I couldn't get the correct bolts in until the end of the next day. (They couldn't move my car due to the rubbing and if they removed the spacers, the bolts would be the wrong size. A risk I appreciated that was NOT taken with my car.)

The install was done and I had no issues. There were no squeaks, rattles, pops, knocks, or anything strange from the coils. They ride well, albeit sharper. Going off of bumps would result in sharp drops of the car that are a bit jarring sometimes on very bad roads, but overall I am living with it 95% satisfied. Body lean is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced, therefore removing a lot of the falling feeling I get when taking high speed highway sweepers. Responses are sharp, and I feel more of the road. On top of all that, it looked great lowered.

After a day and observing pictures, I wanted to lower it some more. Ted and his tech Nick dropped the front some more for me. Ted has also ordered me Dimisa tips... I'll be returning for an alignment, tips, and brake pad swap. Here's a pic of Laci right after coils were readjusted.

And here are some photos of how she sits now! Credits to BillLee

Hope you enjoyed. Please feel free to PM me with questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
Claps for Eric at Supreme Powers, anyone looking for a parts/deal... he said hes going insanely aggressive with low pricing and will beat anyone price!

Car looks good btw!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Glad to hear that you got everything taken care of in the end. The car does definitely look a whole lot better now
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
intensee92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your Girl Crazy.

Very nice review!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

You're running spacers, no?

If so, what size?

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Looks great. I still love that OEM front aero lip!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
You're running spacers, no?

If so, what size?

TIA
No spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Looks great. I still love that OEM front aero lip!
$200 painted and shipped
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

Lookin good! Thank you for your biz and the kind words!

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Hmmm what is that rear offset, it looks better then most 35 offsets I've seen... was quite surprised when I read you are not running spacers.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #10
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
Hmmm what is that rear offset, it looks better then most 35 offsets I've seen... was quite surprised when I read you are not running spacers.
It's a 33 offset in the rear. Nitto NT05 tires are very square so that might be a part of it.
      07-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
No spacers

$200 painted and shipped

200$ painted and shipped from.....please pm me.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
Hooy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
200$ painted and shipped from.....please pm me.
Ebay from BaysonR. They no longer sell on Ebay, but try their website.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
ymbF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 zcp ymb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
Some background about me: I price shop the shit out of everything I buy, and I gauge whether or not a few extra dollars is worth a new relationship with a vendor.

Before pic: Please ignore me on the ground.. with the helmet.. and bear.. and bad farmer's/watch tan... It's a part of the Houston group's picture challenge game. Join if you haven't

The Wheels:

I wanted VMR 710's in 18" staggered for a long time now, but never pulled the trigger since I had new tires on my stock 17" wheels and didn't want to waste them. I finally decide to pull the trigger, and guess what? They are on national back order. Not a single vendor has a complete set (since they source from VMR directly).

Supreme Power was the last vendor that hadn't gotten back to my PM yet. Eric PM's me with a phone number. It's 11pm, and I'm wondering "uh, now??" I call, and low and behold Eric is there to answer my call. We talk about how the wheels are on back order, but then a light bulb goes off. He suddenly remembers that he has a full set! I was going to buy these wheels no matter the price at this point. I was expecting the full $850 $100 shipping, but I got an amazing price instead. You'll just have to PM him to find out

Eric, whom is there at SP alone, even takes the time out to unpack the boxes while still holding the phone just to make sure that the right wheels are in there with the right offsets and finish. He takes it one step further and picture messages me the two different types of VMR center caps. He sends both sets. I got a tracking # the next day.

I get the wheels in 2 enormous boxes which are very heavily padded with sheets of cardboard. Inside are 2 boxes each containing one wheel. Every wheel has a soft cloth cover on the face, and is fully wrapped in a heavy duty plastic bag. All in all, VERY secure packaging.

The Coilovers

This was a very hard decision for me. I bought Supreme Power's lowering perches, but ultimately decided to forego it and go straight to coils. I price shopped KW V1's everywhere, and nothing was cheaper than about 1100. Sonic Tuning offers a kit for 850, but since they don't have a large reputation yet, I decided to write them off as well. I then discovered ST V1 coilovers. They are the same as KW V1 but use galvanized instead of stainless steel. Since I live in Texas where it never snows, this was no issue for me. They were also significantly cheaper.

Alan from **********s and Eric from PYSpeed both did their best to get me set up with these coils, and their customer service was superb. Alan is readily available via phone, and Eric is also readily available via AIM as well as phone. The AIM feature was GREAT, and I recommend the other vendors participate in it as well.

After putting in an email to Eric from Supreme Power, he gave me a price I couldn't refuse, once again. I paypal'd the money and he even accommodated my special delivery date for me (since I was out of town for a week and didn't want people nicking it off my porch).

I got the coils from Fedex. The packaging has some really lame Ford-esque car illustration on the box, but it's well packed inside.

The coils felt of high quality for the price, but obviously no Ohlins. I had no qualms.

Eric from Supreme Power was a true pleasure to work with. We have 63 emails on log as well as 21 PM's and several phone calls. He's answered every question I've thrown at him within a day, and even "goes to the back" to look for parts per my request. Oh, and he sent me a machined aluminum license plate frame that I know costs something like $30 to make.

The Installs (Houston)

I called every shop. Price quotes ranged from $300 to $900 just for coilover installs. I decided to go with EVS Motors for several reasons: Price, reputation, customer service, and their leverless tire mounting machine.

I called Ted to talk prices, and eventually met up with him. Stand up guy. I ended up referring several people including another member with an E90 for Sonic Tuning's S1 coilover install. Ted gave me a very fair price and I eventually left my car there. The coils were installed by the end of the day, but I had stupidly forgotten about my 20mm spacers in the back. With the new offsets, the fender pretty much sat on top of the wheel.

Ted was very understanding in my schedule as I couldn't get the correct bolts in until the end of the next day. (They couldn't move my car due to the rubbing and if they removed the spacers, the bolts would be the wrong size. A risk I appreciated that was NOT taken with my car.)

The install was done and I had no issues. There were no squeaks, rattles, pops, knocks, or anything strange from the coils. They ride well, albeit sharper. Going off of bumps would result in sharp drops of the car that are a bit jarring sometimes on very bad roads, but overall I am living with it 95% satisfied. Body lean is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced, therefore removing a lot of the falling feeling I get when taking high speed highway sweepers. Responses are sharp, and I feel more of the road. On top of all that, it looked great lowered.

After a day and observing pictures, I wanted to lower it some more. Ted and his tech Nick dropped the front some more for me. Ted has also ordered me Dimisa tips... I'll be returning for an alignment, tips, and brake pad swap. Here's a pic of Laci right after coils were readjusted.

And here are some photos of how she sits now! Credits to BillLee

Hope you enjoyed. Please feel free to PM me with questions.
Sweet ride!! So those are 18s??
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

NICE combo Hooy!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #15
seetully
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 ///M3 ZCP

Awesome review and car looks amazing man
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
bobsled
bobsled
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i black, Morr wheels, Invos

i put on some ST's. budget price, but, i am very pleased. Mike at Mod Bargains helped me a lot. lowered the car and picked up lots of speed around my favorite corners. thx for the thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #17
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Man...nice car...I think I may be sold on these...especially for the price!
      07-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

We have the ST coilover in stock and on sale. Let me know if you guys need any!

Thank you

All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
clean!

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #20
kmoto
vroom
Rep
Drives: Grocery Getter

Garage List
2023 G80 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2020 F82 M4  [0.00]
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2007 335i e92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremepower View Post
We have the ST coilover in stock and on sale. Let me know if you guys need any!

Thank you
pm best priced shipped to 92880, thanks.
      07-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #21
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Yeah supreme...pm me the same as above ^^ shipped to 78232....
      07-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #22
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

gizmo335i: You got PM
kmoto335i: You got PM

Appreciate 0