E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AA Custom Tune + Turbo Back exhaust Dyno Runs

09-19-2007, 08:18 AM   #67
bimmermans54
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Look, its very simple. You need the DP's to make the extra hp and boost. AA threw more boost at my car and it made no difference until I took the cats out of the dp's. Also, on my #1 switch, its something like 17.5-18lbs of boost, after that the turbos get so hot that they are maxed out, its even pushing it with the extra boost, I need to run 100 octane mix to even see a difference. So all those people who are saying that they are getting this rwhp, and rwtq, are blowing major smoke up everyones ass! The car is maxed out as far as I stand. No v2, or "other" goodies from other people is south florida are going to make more that whats already out there, anywhere, period. Unless your upgrading turbos, but then you will run into fuel issues... So all this stuff with the v2 is going to come out and be soo crazy, it wont be any different then the tune I have on my car right now....
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 08:30 AM   #68
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Those two small snail shell sitting at the bottom of the N54 needs some TLC before we can push beyond what we have right now. Next up should be a set of new, slightly larger turbos with upgraded, catted down pipe, and full catback exhaust.
      09-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #69
VQMotoring
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335, F430, CLS63 350ZRTT, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
That's great, Rickie, but how do you know for sure the 335i's tranny can take all that extra TQ? As you know, this has been a highly debated and important topic of discussion, since there may very well be a limit to what the ZF tranny can handle in regards to TQ. Based on our research, most of us feel that we're already pushing its limits just with PROcede alone. Are you guys at VQMotoring going to be the ones to find out the hard way what the 335i ZF tranny's absolute limits are?

I respect what you guys are doing, don't get me wrong, but adding HP/TQ to sky-high numbers (without some serious, long-term testing) just to say you can do it doesn't sit well with many ppl.
We are planning to test it the hard way.. We will let you all know.. If the tranny brakes, then we will let you all know with how much wtq it broke and what we did to make it better and hold the power.. Someone has to do it to stop the rumors you know. Hopefully we wont brake anything else in the process..
The car feels perfect right now, no signes of anything wrong..

Thanks,
Rickie Cruz
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #70
VQMotoring
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Those two small snail shell sitting at the bottom of the N54 needs some TLC before we can push beyond what we have right now. Next up should be a set of new, slightly larger turbos with upgraded, catted down pipe, and full catback exhaust.
This is what we are doing at the moment.
We will post the details soon. We will be testing it for the rest of the year and hopefully release it dec jan.

Thanks,
Rickie Cruz
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #71
verboten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '74 9146GTbiturbo '79 930turbo

My old post #39 over in the Sponsor/GB Classifieds section:
It's all about the combination of how the induction/ manifolding/ post turbo exhaust all works in unison. The small oe turbine sections (cast into the exhaust manifolds) are perhaps the Factory's way of keeping a lid on what they feel is a safe hp/tq limit.They knew going in that most tuners would come up on this stonewall of NOT being able to change out the hot housing with wrenches. After all they are in business to sell cars that stay on the road...and not the warranty bay.
But fear not...the winds of change are coming
Marty
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #72
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten View Post
My old post #39 over in the Sponsor/GB Classifieds section:
It's all about the combination of how the induction/ manifolding/ post turbo exhaust all works in unison. The small oe turbine sections (cast into the exhaust manifolds) are perhaps the Factory's way of keeping a lid on what they feel is a safe hp/tq limit.They knew going in that most tuners would come up on this stonewall of NOT being able to change out the hot housing with wrenches. After all they are in business to sell cars that stay on the road...and not the warranty bay.
But fear not...the winds of change are coming
Marty
Marty, would you like to clarify a little...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #73
j|rz44
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i|E92

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Autowerke View Post
He had a Procede before and did not get anywhere with getting a custom "tune" for his setup. He had limp mode issues among other things. Now we got his car running good and there is a power issue which seems to be attributed to the Downpipes.

I have said it before... IMHO i dont think the turbos can produce enough air to make the downpipes as effective as some hope. They do help with spool like Mr. 5 said but as far as getting another 30 or 40 HP I dont see it happening and raising the boost will not help with this either.

When NYC comes back we will take another look at it and see what we can do, we are more than willing to help him out to make everyone happy

p.s. Shiv should have given you V2 for free....

So your saying that DP's (catless) is a no no?
      09-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #74
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

dp's period
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #75
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQMotoring View Post
We are planning to test it the hard way.. We will let you all know.. If the tranny brakes, then we will let you all know with how much wtq it broke and what we did to make it better and hold the power.. Someone has to do it to stop the rumors you know. Hopefully we wont brake anything else in the process..
The car feels perfect right now, no signes of anything wrong..

Thanks,
Rickie Cruz
Great, please test your stuff thoroughly before releasing to the public and saying ~ 450 lb.-ft. RWTQ is ok for the 335i with the stock tranny (which btw raises some serious doubts based on our research with ZF). Thanks for being the guinea pigs.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #76
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermans54 View Post
Look, its very simple. You need the DP's to make the extra hp and boost. AA threw more boost at my car and it made no difference until I took the cats out of the dp's. Also, on my #1 switch, its something like 17.5-18lbs of boost, after that the turbos get so hot that they are maxed out, its even pushing it with the extra boost, I need to run 100 octane mix to even see a difference. So all those people who are saying that they are getting this rwhp, and rwtq, are blowing major smoke up everyones ass! The car is maxed out as far as I stand. No v2, or "other" goodies from other people is south florida are going to make more that whats already out there, anywhere, period. Unless your upgrading turbos, but then you will run into fuel issues... So all this stuff with the v2 is going to come out and be soo crazy, it wont be any different then the tune I have on my car right now....
Exactly what mods do you have on your car?

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #77
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
Marty, would you like to clarify a little...
Mr. Schneider is stating that everything must be flowing correctly with low turbulance for good output, which is true and slightly ironic.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #78
bimmermans54
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nothing other than a custom exhaust, 2 2.5 inch all the way back, catless DP's, and AA's one of few xede that is running the 14/18 lb switch. A set of plasma coils. Now, I just ran it against my old e46 m3 with the AA s/c stg3+ that dynoed 453rwhp, and I from wherever pull about 1 car length and hold him off until around 150.... I have to dyno my car to see what I am making. BUT the boost I am running is to the limit, it needs 100 octane to run the 18lbs.

People should trust the bmw people. Meaning AA has done bmws for 25+ years. They are the G-ds of anything bmw. Not a new JAP guy. AA has relentlessly helped me in making car crazy fast. So, go by what they say and offer, and your car will be the best it can...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #79
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nothing other than a custom exhaust, 2 2.5 inch all the way back, catless DP's, and AA'a one of few xede that is running the 14/18 lb switch. A set of plasma coils. Now, I just ran it against my old e46 m3 with the AA s/c stg3+ that dynoed 453rwhp, and I from wherever pull about 1 car length and hold him off until around 150.... I have to dyno my car to see what I am making. BUT the boost I am running is to the limit, it needs 100 octane to run the 18lbs, and even at that, they max out, and put the car into a limp mode state!
That's some crazy sh!t you've got there; I hope you don't blow your turbos at 18psi (that's psi not lbs., right?).

Also, do the plasma coils really do anything? They just look like hokus-pokus to me.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #80
bimmermans54
Second Lieutenant
Rep

18psi, sure, I call it lbs, cause I been dealing with superchargers for so long, they call it pounds...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #81
bimmermans54
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As for the coils that AA offers, I noticed a difference. A hare better gas mileage, the car when beaten runs 1-2 notches on the oil temp cooler, and at a light, the car doesnt sit and shake like its got a american cam in it...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #82
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
As for the coils that AA offers, I noticed a difference. A hare better gas mileage, the car when beaten runs 1-2 notches on the oil temp cooler, and at a light, the car doesnt sit and shake like its got a american cam in it...
We haven't heard anything from AA about these? Are they the Eurobahn plasma coils for ~ $1,000 that Jeff claims they make add'l HP/TQ? It's great that they help with those things you mentioned, but they're a lot of $$ for those little benefits (unless they're different than what I'm talking about).

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #83
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

Quote:
18psi, sure, I call it lbs, cause I been dealing with superchargers for so long, they call it pounds...
Its ~15-16 BMW cut the exhaust fan (Its a 3g right?) so it couldnt be boosted ridiculously high and so the car felt NA. You will choke the turbos above 16 psi, who wants to change the hotside fan first? (Just change the turbos completely, its much more efficient).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #84
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
this post reminded me of all the people who are scared as to what the N54s limits are. Its an e60 but as you can tell, something can go wrong even from factory.

Notice the gaping hole in the engine.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=103733
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #85
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

^ Probably just need to multiple dynos on different days to verify the missing HP...

Jason
      09-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #86
VQMotoring
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Great, please test your stuff thoroughly before releasing to the public and saying ~ 450 lb.-ft. RWTQ is ok for the 335i with the stock tranny (which btw raises some serious doubts based on our research with ZF). Thanks for being the guinea pigs.
Just to clarify things, i never said 450wtq is ok. Have not been there yet, Im just saying that with V2 we should be there.. I will definatly test it for a while before we release anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #87
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Nothing other than a custom exhaust, 2 2.5 inch all the way back, catless DP's, and AA's one of few xede that is running the 14/18 lb switch. A set of plasma coils. Now, I just ran it against my old e46 m3 with the AA s/c stg3+ that dynoed 453rwhp, and I from wherever pull about 1 car length and hold him off until around 150.... I have to dyno my car to see what I am making. BUT the boost I am running is to the limit, it needs 100 octane to run the 18lbs.

People should trust the bmw people. Meaning AA has done bmws for 25+ years. They are the G-ds of anything bmw. Not a new JAP guy. AA has relentlessly helped me in making car crazy fast. So, go by what they say and offer, and your car will be the best it can...
GO dyno NOW :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #88
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQMotoring View Post
Just to clarify things, i never said 450wtq is ok. Have not been there yet, Im just saying that with V2 we should be there.. I will definatly test it for a while before we release anything.
Perfect...thanks. Yeah, I think ~ 400 lb.-ft. RWTQ (~ 470 lb.-ft. TQ to the crank) may be ok to a certain extent up to so many mi. of added TQ stress, but it's certainly possible that ~ 450 lb.-ft. RWTQ (~ 530 lb.-ft. TQ to the crank ) on the 335i may be just too much for the ZF tranny; that's getting into MB 63AMG TQ numbers!!!!

Appreciate 0