E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

04-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #243
Zippy7575
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

So I picked up my 335i today, which was even nicer than I remembered it to be. Except for a few scuffs on the plastic around the plastic lip on the inside of the trunk the car looks brand new. Two of the RFT Bridgestones look about 50% worn (the car has 30k miles) and the other two look like brand new.

Anyway, the first thing I did was take it to the BMW dealer to see if I had the 943 HFPT or the old 881. The Autocheck report from E-Bay said the car was registered in Costa Mesa CA as a leased vehicle and was a manufacturer's buyback under the lemon law. However, the BMW dealer SA said his records showed the car was first sold by another local Arizona BMW dealer and he had no record of HPFP replacement or manufacturer buyback. I wondered if maybe it showed as a Costa Mesa, CA purchase because perhaps that's where the leasing company is headquartered, but I don't know. So, I don't really know what I got, but all I know is I put 200 miles on it today and I can't find a single thing to complain about. I thought I was buying a lemon, so unless it was previously wrecked I guess anything else is an improvement.

This is the first time I've driven a BMW since I sold my Bavaria in 1979. It's amazing how great the drivetrain, brakes and chassis are, but at the sametime strange how many of the interior features are a bit old fashioned compared to my '06 Mazda 6. I guess this is not news to the rest of you, but things like the small speedo and tach, the radio display that can't be read when you're wearing polarized glasses and the tiny little buttons for the interior lights, etc. seem funny in a car on this price range. Even the driving position and the stereo seem a bit inferior to my Mazda 6 (albeit my 335i does has the premium package and not the great seats of the sports packages). The Mazda rides better too (due to the excellent Michelin Pilot Exalto vs the 335's RFT 'Stones) but when it comes to stopping/going and turning, you sure can't beat the 335!

I did notice the 335 gets a bit light in the front end when I got over 80 mph on a bumpy road (I had my foot in it at the time) but maybe it's just a little tramlining, which I understand the RFT are known for. I plan to get the same Michelins as my Mazda on the 335 as soon as I can, and I'm sure that will make a huge difference.

In the 90's I had a 92 Dodge Stealth with a 300 hp twin-turbo V6, that was an amazing high-speed tourer. You could be at a very-stable 100 mph at the blink of an eye. The 335 is the same way (even more so) so I guess I better buy a new radar detector. Assuming the HPFP problem doesn't strike, I think the biggest frustration about this car is going to be keeping it at the speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #244
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Zippy:

Ditch the runflats ASAP. It will make a world of difference in how the car rides and feels!

Did the dealer you checked with print out the service records for you? He should, if not take it to your local dealer and tell them you want to bring it there for service, would they print out the records for you...that should tell you everything done to the car since new. Might not show a buyback, but it will tell you what has happened to the car at BMW dealers.

+100 on the lead-foot problem! I have to be really careful, the thing goes from 80 to 100 in the blink of an eye...I'll be passing some shlub noodling along on the freeway, and all of a sudden I'm doing over 90!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 06:21 AM   #245
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I just read through all this. So I can assume that no one has had the 943 fail yet then? I have an 08 with just over 30K miles. I've had the Engine malfunction reduced power come on like 5 times I think.

The first time, I took it in, they said it was a misfire. The other times, I just turned it off and then on again and it was off.

The first two times, I don't think it went into limp mode. It seemed to run fine. One of the times (I think the 3rd), I think it was running sluggish. It was hard to tell cause I was driving on base where the speed limit was 20 MPH. Once I drove down the road and turned it off, then back on again, it ran fine. THe last time, the wife got in in the morning and it came on. Again, just turned it off and back on again and it was fine.

I have NEVER had any of the other symptoms (long cranks or whatever else). I have an appointment Tuesday to get it checked. I'm also wondering if the extension of the warranty will work in Germany.

In Germany, we only get a 2 year warranty. But you can go in and pay 228 Euro for another year. I think this extra year is not quite bumper to bumper. And I can pay I think about 400 Euro for another year after that. So I'm not sure what they will say if they have to do all this.

That's another thing. The English is very limited where I live. The only thing is that two other people here where I'm stationed have had this problem with their's (07 335xi and 09 335i) and they took it to the place I'm taking mine on Tuesday. The guy with the xi has had to take it in 3 different times and ended up raising hell there. The guy with the 335i had to end up calling someone to get a hold of BMW to get them to fix his right away instead of a week later. And neither had a chance of getting a loaner!

So we'll see how it goes. I'm gonna try to talk to them about all this and hopefully they know about it. I would much rather go ahead and get the newer HPFP if possible so I can maybe stop getting the engine malfunction. And should I ask them about the current software update?

In the meantime, I'd like to E-mail BMW about my warranty while I'm in Germany. Can someone tell me the best way to do this?
      04-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #246
ILv2Xlr8
Rep
Drives: xDrive50e

I got the 943 part # this time at 10k mi on my 2009 335i. They replaced it at 7k mi as well, but I do not know the part # as the invoice did not list any part #'s. They mentioned this time it was a new part #, so hopefully they figured it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #247
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILv2Xlr8 View Post
I got the 943 part # this time at 10k mi on my 2009 335i. They replaced it at 7k mi as well, but I do not know the part # as the invoice did not list any part #'s. They mentioned this time it was a new part #, so hopefully they figured it out.
I really tried to follow this but I'm confused. So did you have the 943 fail? Or you think you did but aren't sure?
      04-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #248
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
I really tried to follow this but I'm confused. So did you have the 943 fail? Or you think you did but aren't sure?

I believe he is saying at 7k he did not know what part number was used, but at 10k the 943 pump was installed. Also, the dealership said the 943 is a "new" part implying it's different than the 7k replacement. We just have to wait until 13k on his ODO to see if the 943 needs replacement or not.

All kidding aside, when these pumps fail, is there any consequential damage to the motor? Think about it, on a "NORMAL" car, how many times does a fuel pump fail, or does the motor crank and crank before sputtering and dying, or does the motor unexpectedly shut-off while driving at high speeds? Plus at least 1/3 of the cars out there are 6MAN. I don't believe you can push start such a modern car, which is what you're essentially doing when it fails and then comes back to life.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #249
ILv2Xlr8
Rep
Drives: xDrive50e

Quote:
I got the 943 part at 10K mi this week. I do not know what the part number was at 7k mi last October. Now it is hurry up and wait to see if the new part # does resolve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #250
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Im trying to figure out the HPFP failure cause from this thread. Is it mechanical and related to design? Or is it related to something else in electronics management? I mean sounds like one of those engineering issues where something is not designed correctly from the beginning and will break regardless of the replacement parts.

This reminds me a lot of RSM failures and subframe failures, as well as cooling system failures and swirl flap issues with diesels in previous BMWs. I.e. - bad engineering that is too much compromise for performance in sake of reliability. If toyota couldn't design a floor mat that worked well in car, what can we expect of more complicated parts.

I think this is the main reason why buying 335 out of wrranty is a silly thing and 330i seems to be a much better bet, or 335d since it has so much more tire shredding tuning potential.
      04-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #251
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I've had my HPFP replaced 3 times on my '07 Coupe, but so far, this one seems to have resolved the issue. Pretty sure it was the newer design pump, because the other failures were close together, and this one has gone for quite awhile longer. Recently had the Dinan S2 software update and I'm waiting to see if that aggravates the situation any. One thing it DOES do is make this thing one incredibly fast ride. The software plus the twin-cone intake I've got works out to approximately 407 hp and 430 ft-lbs. torque.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #252
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Does Dinan still not void your warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #253
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

It may void the warranty depending on the dealership but Dinan picks up the tab on the repairs. Although with the HPFP being a known issue BMW should cover it whether you have Dinan or not since it fails in so many non Dinan cars. Hard to blame Dinan for the fuel pump when so many other cars have the probelm and do not have Dinan
      04-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #254
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Noone can void your warranty because of a mod. The law will not allow it. They can refuse to fix something under warranty if they can prove that your mod caused the problem.
      04-20-2010, 01:17 AM   #255
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

"The vehicle is equipped with Dinan aftermaket software. Driveability issues and performance concerns cannot be addressed as warranty concerns with these modifications in place"

Thats how they say it
      04-20-2010, 05:51 AM   #256
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Sounds about right...just another way of saying that if something goes wrong with the car and the mechanic can prove that the mod in some way caused the problem, then they can refuse warranty coverage.

I'm just saying this because people always talk about warranties getting voided so loosely. And there are laws governing this. No dealership can just simply void your warranty just because you modded the car. I guess if you were to mod the car in every "area" then maybe. For example, a couple suspension mods, cosmetic mods, electircal and engine...then I guess under the law they could refuse you warranty work on anything cause maybe then can prove that you modded that area of the car and therefore it caused the problem to occur.

BTW, I took mine into the dealer this morning. I talked to the guy and told/asked him about this situation with the HPFP. And asked about the software update. He was this kid who just kind of looked at me with a blank stare. Course I feel stupid cause I'm in his country and can't speak his language. I live in bumfuk nowhere in Germany so the English if pretty limited. I have a feeling that when they run the diagnostics, they will just see what they saw last time...a misfire or whatever and say not to worry about anything. Strangely enough, I don't think there are too many 335s running around here. I hardly EVER see E92 coupes as it is and have only seen maybe 4 or 5 335's in the almost 3 years I've been here. I even told him that maybe they could run a test on my HPFP to check it and about the new one (943) that has come out.

I guess this will be interesting to see what they come back and say. Lastly, I mentioned about the warranty up to 120K miles and to see if that applies here. I can't imagine that it wouldn't. You only get a 2 year warranty on BMWs in Germany but it should at least go up to like 80K or so.....if this is ever an issue, I will be E-mailing BMW to see.

Last edited by gizmo335i; 04-20-2010 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #257
tms335i
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I am picking up my '08 335i this AM after its second HPFP replacement.

26K miles now, last one replaced June 2009. Service guy told me on voicemail that it was "a new part, so the problem should be fixed" - I am assuming I got the new pump. Will see how it goes.

I had been having the long cranks for a month or two, but waited until I hit limp mode and got the service soon light to take it in. I also wondered about damage to the engine from cranking - makes me think there may be undue wear on the engine since oil is not likely circulating as well when it is being turned by the starter...

T.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #258
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Well, I got bored at work today and called Pentagon BMW car sales down at Ramstein. The lady gave me the name of a guy to call at a BMW dealership in Kaiserslautern..that he really knows a lot. So I called him.

First, he says he hasn't heard of the extended warranty on the HPFP. And now that I think about it, I don't even know if he really knew about the problem happening so much. His English wasn't as good as I assumed it would be (they usually speak very good English around that area).

Anyway, the dealership where my car is now actually called me while I was typing this. He said that the HPFP failed. Wow, I was not expecting them to find this since I never got any of the symptoms described in this other than the Engine malfunction reduced power. As a matter of fact, I've driven it quite a few miles since the last time it came on with no problem. At first, he tried to tell me that it was going to cost me 500 Euro but I cut him off and explained that I purchased a 1 year extended warranty from THEM! So he said he'd call the warranty place. If they come back and try to say that they won't cover it, I'm gonna have to go up the chain to complain.

I also asked him if he could give me the part number of the HPFP that will be going in the car and he said he'd call me back. I don't know if he understood that I'd like to know the part number BEFORE he puts it in. This guy was really suprised that I knew everything about this, lol.

Anyway, I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow...so we'll see how it goes...sorry for such long posts...just wanted to let you know what's going on the damn home country for this car...I can't remember if anyone else has even posted about going through this in Germany...
      04-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #259
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Just so you know, this belief is untrue but frequently perpetuated on the Net. Mods are not covered by the MM Act as many people falsely believe. OE spec replacement parts are covered not Mods, i.e. alterations. Many new vehicle warranties specifically tell you the warranty can be voided by "alterations", i.e. Mods. Understanding your limited new vehicle warranty before you make "alterations" will prevent disappointment and a voided warranty.
Understood. I understand that mods are not covered. What I'm saying is that a mod by itself can't void the WHOLE warranty. If you have put mulitple mods on the motor (worst case) and your window won't roll down, then they can't say they won't fix it under warranty. The word voided is used a little too often as meaning everything.
      04-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #260
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Hey can someone give me the WHOILE part numbers for both HPFP's? Sorry, I was trying to go back and find it but I'm getting lazy...I just had one of my German friends call back and talk to the guy to make sure they were going to put the newer one in and this is the part number he gave him 13537547883..what's up with that. Aren't the part numbers for these universal?
      04-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #261
335xC4Now
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 xDrive Coupe

2 335's - 2 HPFP's replaced! New 1 @ 3248 miles!

Hi:
My first post on this board.
I recently gave up my 2008 335ix 4 door when the lease expired in December. In November the HPFP failed and was replaced with part #881 and it ran OK until I turned it in 12/31/09. The car had about 24,000 miles.
I picked my new 335x Coupe 12/31/09. With just 3248 miles in April the HPFP in the new car failed. It was replaced with the new part #943.
I wonder which part was in the car as it was manufactured in December, '09; was it #881 or #943?
The real problem is that I have lost faith in BMW. Too bad after having various 7, 5 and 3 series over the years! 2 HPFP's fail without significant warning within 5 months of each other; I wonder if the car will start and run each time I need to use it...

Last edited by 335xC4Now; 04-20-2010 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #262
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Noone can void your warranty because of a mod. The law will not allow it. They can refuse to fix something under warranty if they can prove that your mod caused the problem.
We've all seen the bulletins where it clearly instructs the dealership to "FLAG" the vehicle in the warranty system. What that means, who knows?

imho the N54 and modding is a molotov cocktail. If the N54 were totally reliable, people could simply enjoy mods and their various flavors. Because the N54 is not reliable, now there is the potential for mods/tuning to make matters worse when problems arise and repairs are needed.

If dealerships have trouble getting it right, and they have a direct lifeline to Munich, imagine how much difficulty an indy shop would have...my .02.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #263
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
That part number is for the fuel pressure sensor not the HPFP.

Man...duh...I realized after I posted that obviously he was giving me a part number for something else...so I looked it up and the price for that sensor is only $77. He told me it was going to be 500 Euro...course this was before he realized I'm covered. It's more expensive but not THAT expensive..even with labor it wouldn't come out to nearly that.

So, maybe they replace this part along with the HPFP? He told this to my German co-worker that was translating for me and then said he'd call back..and never did. So I guess I'll find out tomorrow for sure. I'm telling you...I bet they have no idea about this problem. But wouldn't the diasnostics say the pump was bad?
      04-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #264
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Man...duh...I realized after I posted that obviously he was giving me a part number for something else...so I looked it up and the price for that sensor is only $77. He told me it was going to be 500 Euro...course this was before he realized I'm covered. It's more expensive but not THAT expensive..even with labor it wouldn't come out to nearly that.

So, maybe they replace this part along with the HPFP? He told this to my German co-worker that was translating for me and then said he'd call back..and never did. So I guess I'll find out tomorrow for sure. I'm telling you...I bet they have no idea about this problem. But wouldn't the diasnostics say the pump was bad?
Good luck....sometimes, I think we just have to take our lumps and let the dealership do their thing, right? We want everything to be perfect, flawless, but unfortunately, we didn't buy a Japanese car, and the 335 doesn't really want to cooperate in such a manner. I was a "lurker" because I didn't have trouble for nearly 3 years. Now, I am very interested in all the HPFP and reliability threads, and I hope there is a solution....
Appreciate 0