Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Switching TPM to new wheels.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Zippy7575
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Switching TPM to new wheels.

Just bought a set of type 162 18" wheels off E-Bay to replace the stock type 159 17" wheels, and I have a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports (non-RFT) on the way for them.

Is it a big deal to change the TPM from one set of wheels to the other, and will there be any problem using them with tires that are not RFT?

I'm not going to be switching wheels back and forth for winter/summer, so I don't see any reason to buy another set of TPM if I don't have to.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

TPMS sensors are swappable between wheels and this can be done easily if there are no tires on the wheels. You may want to consider new "TPMS rebuild kits" that include new seals and crush washers. Most local shops should have these on hand for $5 or so each.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Zippy7575
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks Gary. I ordered the tires from Tire Rack yesterday and (thanks to your west-coast warehouse) I received notice that they are being delivered tomorrow! Talk about great service!! Your recommended local installer is right across the street from my office too. : )
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yeah keeping a couple TPMS rebuild kits AND a couple extra valve stems on hand is never a bad idea...that way, if you ever have to get a flat fixed at an inopportune time, you won't have to rely on the dealer if there's an issue with a broken valve core, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMP-STANDARD...ff1a3c&vxp=mtr

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...agramCallOut=1
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

My TPMS sensors are on their second set of wheels. The shop used rebuild kits, and no issues here.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

Some shops can swap the them over without having to remove the tires. If the tires are marked, do they need to be re-balanced?
      05-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Zippy7575
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

My shop removed the TPMS sensors today without removing the tires from the rims.

Man, what a difference the non-RFT Michelin Super Sports make. This is the BMW I expected when I bought it. The ride is now smooth and comfortable, and it doesn't skate sideways when cornering on bumpy roads. Steering doesn't wander like it did before either. I always thought perhaps my car needed a caster adjustment because it was so twitchy, and that's gone with the non-RFT.

For the life of me I can't understand how BMW can think RFT are worth the trade offs, not to mention the damage this must do to their reputation. I'm sure lots of people buy a BMW and then dump it because it rides rough and skates around on bumpy roads. My guess is that there are plenty of people within BMW who feel the same way. There must be an idiot at the helm who thinks he knows what's best for the rest of us.
Appreciate 0