E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Multifunction Smart Key (press release)

11-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Slikpak
Learning Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' E93 M3

BMW Key to Have Credit Card

BMW's new multifunction smart keyfob is capable of acting as:

- Comfort access keyfob
- credit card
- electronic ticket pass (for bus, trains, airplanes)
- provide the driver with in-car access to a host of personalized services through BMW's ConnectedDrive.
- stores personalized settings for your BMW, such as radio stations and address books for mobile phones

PRESS RELEASE

Car key of the future with integrated credit card

BMW Group Research and Technology has developed a prototype for a multifunctional car key which enables cashless payment and personalised vehicle access. "As part of our research project we first integrated a security chip into the key casing, which communicates across short distances by radio with a card reader," says Hans-Jörg Vögel, project manager at BMW Group Forschung und Technik. In future the key could also be used for other transport systems. Indeed, electronic tickets for bus, train and air travel could all be stored on the chip. The credit card function in the security chip allows electronic payments to be carried out quickly, securely and conveniently from the prototype key.

Adding a personalised credit card function to the car key opens the door to a wealth of other mobility scenarios. For example, the holder of the key can enjoy secure in-car access to personal data since the key gives the driver authorised online access to his personalised ConnectedDrive services inside a BMW - not only when he's travelling in his own car, but also from a BMW hire car, for example. Here, the driver identifies himself using his personal key and the car adopts his individual settings. Access to personal data such as address books, favourite radio stations and personal subscriptions to services and content providers is activated through the multifunctional key.

Because the driver can be identified with total certainty, the key can now - for the first time - be linked to the car owner rather than any particular car. This also makes hiring cars and car sharing, for instance, even easier.

"With the concept of integrating a cashless payment function into a car key, we are working on ways of linking up vehicle technology and lifestyle," says Prof. Raymond Freymann, Director of BMW Group Research and Technology.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
BMWFM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xit

Nice. Wish I could also use CA as my front door key...

FM
F34 335i xDrive, M Sport, Alpine White, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, Dynamic Handling, Technology, Driver Assistance, Premium, Active Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Side and Top View Cameras, European Delivery, Debadged
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

repost
      11-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Hoothout
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 328i

Garage List
2008 e92 328i  [0.00]
hahaha thats hilarious, they would have to open BMW Bank of North America hahaha
BMWBNA
iDrive,Premium Pkg,Sport Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Black Dakota Leather,GP Thunder 8500k cornering,drl,and foglights, ,Blacked Out Grills,Painted Reflectors,Shadowline Emblems,Hardwired Beltronics V-995, AFE Intake, Muffler Delete, Berger tune
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

haha that's cool
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
Arustik1
HYEPWR
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
thats just crazy...technology is still growing strong i guess.
2001 M5 Jet Black / Black
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Arrow BMW develops new multifunctional smart key

BMW likes to be a leader in technology. And BMW technology is usually quite useful. Of course, only if you can figure out how to work the damn thing. Think iDrive.

But this smart key looks easy enough to use. All you have to do is keep it in your pocket.

What can it do?

Well, first off, it's a key. Though the press release doesn't explain this clearly, it likely acts like those smart keys that Renault has, which is a card you keep in your pocket and opens the doors automatically any time you are standing near the car and locks them as you walk away.

But this card can do much more than that. It can also be used as a credit card, or store electronic ticket information for bus, train or airplane travel. The card can also provide the driver with in-car access to a host of personalized services through BMW's ConnectedDrive. Personalized settings for the car, such as radio stations and address books for mobile phones, can also be stored on the card.

Sounds great. Let's hope it's as easy to use as it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thumbs up BMW Multifunction Smart Key (press release)

BMW's new multifunction smart keyfob is capable of acting as:

- Comfort access keyfob
- credit card
- electronic ticket pass (for bus, trains, airplanes)
- provide the driver with in-car access to a host of personalized services through BMW's ConnectedDrive.
- stores personalized settings for your BMW, such as radio stations and address books for mobile phones

PRESS RELEASE

Car key of the future with integrated credit card

BMW Group Research and Technology has developed a prototype for a multifunctional car key which enables cashless payment and personalised vehicle access. "As part of our research project we first integrated a security chip into the key casing, which communicates across short distances by radio with a card reader," says Hans-Jörg Vögel, project manager at BMW Group Forschung und Technik. In future the key could also be used for other transport systems. Indeed, electronic tickets for bus, train and air travel could all be stored on the chip. The credit card function in the security chip allows electronic payments to be carried out quickly, securely and conveniently from the prototype key.

Adding a personalised credit card function to the car key opens the door to a wealth of other mobility scenarios. For example, the holder of the key can enjoy secure in-car access to personal data since the key gives the driver authorised online access to his personalised ConnectedDrive services inside a BMW - not only when he's travelling in his own car, but also from a BMW hire car, for example. Here, the driver identifies himself using his personal key and the car adopts his individual settings. Access to personal data such as address books, favourite radio stations and personal subscriptions to services and content providers is activated through the multifunctional key.

Because the driver can be identified with total certainty, the key can now - for the first time - be linked to the car owner rather than any particular car. This also makes hiring cars and car sharing, for instance, even easier.

"With the concept of integrating a cashless payment function into a car key, we are working on ways of linking up vehicle technology and lifestyle," says Prof. Raymond Freymann, Director of BMW Group Research and Technology.

Name:  smart1.jpg
Views: 18434
Size:  190.3 KB

Name:  smart2.jpg
Views: 10878
Size:  188.7 KB

Name:  smart3.jpg
Views: 10623
Size:  181.0 KB

Name:  smart4.jpg
Views: 9367
Size:  168.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Cool! Although it does make me wonder...what is enough when it comes to new technology? Do I really need my car key to be my credit card?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
wow~ the only thing missing is a phone feature
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
nate82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like John Force

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
what, no ipod attachment?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #12
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Yeah, not to mention you'll be spoon feeding BMW all your transaction data (What you buy, where you go, etc). Personal privacy is more valuable than "convenience". Don't be tricked into this type of crap.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #13
GreekMaverick
El Greco Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///N54

Yes, 911....

Me: I just Got Mugged.....!

911: Are you Hurt sir ?

Me: Yeah...(WTF)...????

911: Did they take anything? Your wallet?

Me: Well, They left the wallet since I only had couple bucks in there but they stole my Key, cause well My CC info is embeded in it and you can just use swipe it and pay/charge anything on it with no verification needed since I doubt they have MY name engraved on it...God Bless the fine minds of BMW engineers....!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
Labrada_Exoticz
Subscribed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Well, They left the wallet since I only had couple bucks in there but they stole my Key, cause well My CC info is embeded in it and you can just use swipe it and pay/charge anything on it with no verification needed since I doubt they have MY name engraved on it...God Bless the fine minds of BMW engineers....!
I was thinking the same lol
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #15
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Plus a few years later when you go to sell the car - I'd be a little paranoid that all my info was erased as I handed the keys over to the new owner.
      11-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #16
blakjack23
Major
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Garage List
'06 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikpak View Post
interesting article i found....where getting lazy
I'm getting lazy right here. Why do you want to know where?

'06 325i - AT (bite me!) - Jet Black - Black leatherette - Aluminum Trim - Blacklines - 189's - M3 Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #17
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

it does seem a little bit silly. hopefully there's a password at least?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
SDTopless
I just wanna do my car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 350z RevUp =)

1 more thing i think they should add which wouldnt be too hard is...

a portable storage device, 2gb usb flash drive, which would b another thing to worry about when losing ur keys
      11-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
xg3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Was 03 Z4, now 10 GTI

wow.. talk about another uselesss features..

hey, they should make it so you can go to the ATM for cash too!! can't go this far and not further!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #20
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekMaverick View Post
Yes, 911....

Me: Well, They left the wallet since I only had couple bucks in there but they stole my Key, cause well My CC info is embeded in it and you can just use swipe it and pay/charge anything on it with no verification needed since I doubt they have MY name engraved on it...God Bless the fine minds of BMW engineers....!
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #21
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonsazkin View Post
now that you mentioned it, they might start working on that feature.

how about adding portable mp3 player capabilities while they r at it?
and the MUST HAVE TV remote for heavensakes!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #22
kronzprinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekMaverick View Post
Yes, 911....

or call the BWM concierge and tell them to make that call for you and cancel everything....
Appreciate 0