E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Carbon Build Up on Injectors?

05-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
RKel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Carbon Build Up on Injectors?

I was experiencing issues with my 2009 335 so I brought it in for service. When I would go to acclerate the car would kind of hesitate and vibrate a bit, then the car started to shake terribly and the service engine light came on. Long story short I am now being told this is due to severe carbon build up on the injectors. They said this is cause by gasoline, which I only use mobile 93 grade, and BMW is trying to say it does not fall under my full warranty. Does this sound ridiculous or is it just me? Also, I have the DCI. Would they be saying warranty does not cover for this reason?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKel View Post
I was experiencing issues with my 2009 335 so I brought it in for service. When I would go to acclerate the car would kind of hesitate and vibrate a bit, then the car started to shake terribly and the service engine light came on. Long story short I am now being told this is due to severe carbon build up on the injectors. They said this is cause by gasoline, which I only use mobile 93 grade, and BMW is trying to say it does not fall under my full warranty. Does this sound ridiculous or is it just me? Also, I have the DCI. Would they be saying warranty does not cover for this reason?

Thanks
Mileage?? Have you been the only owner? Has the car been regularly serviced?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
RKel
Rep

The car has about 43,500 miles on it now, I bought it with 38,xxx. This was my first time bringing the car in for service. On top of the current issue it is getting an oil change as well as other scheduled maintenance. I am the second owner
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
The car has about 43,500 miles on it now, I bought it with 38,xxx. This was my first time bringing the car in for service. On top of the current issue it is getting an oil change as well as other scheduled maintenance. I am the second owner
Has the shaking/rough idling developed recently or since you purchased the car? It's possible that you have a bad carbon build up on your intake valves. You could search the forum, there are plenty of threads about "Carbon Build up on Intake Valves" or "Walnut Blasting" (the best technique to clean your intake valves, they look brand new after it's done).
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
aflatau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: XM

They should be covering that.. these dealerships are terrible.
07 Single Turbo 335i(one of the first, sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:

Thanks
isn't what OP is describing a mis-fire?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
RKel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Has the shaking/rough idling developed recently or since you purchased the car? It's possible that you have a bad carbon build up on your intake valves. You could search the forum, there are plenty of threads about "Carbon Build up on Intake Valves" or "Walnut Blasting" (the best technique to clean your intake valves, they look brand new after it's done).
The shaking would only happen on wot and it started probably a week or two ago. It really was not that bad, I was going to get around to bringing it to the dealer but a couple of days ago was when it was shaking like crazy and the light came on. After the light came on the car would shake even under light acceleration. Thats when I had it towed to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
RKel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335i View Post
Actually, that is what the tech orginally said. They then reprogrammed and took it for a test drive just to find the problem was not fixed
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
The shaking would only happen on wot and it started probably a week or two ago. It really was not that bad, I was going to get around to bringing it to the dealer but a couple of days ago was when it was shaking like crazy and the light came on. After the light came on the car would shake even under light acceleration. Thats when I had it towed to the dealer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335i View Post
That def sounds like a misfire -- Time for new Ignition Coils & Spark Plugs (buy Bosch, they're the same as the OEM BMW plugs except don't say "BMW" and are 1/2 the cost).
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Actually, that is what the tech orginally said. They then reprogrammed and took it for a test drive just to find the problem was not fixed
I wouldn't think changing software would help an issue if it is hardware related? lol

mis-fires are very common on our cars, especially if the car has been tuned before.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
RKel
Rep

Yes I know. Just telling you what they told me lol. I had a friend that had the same issue my car does now. He had a 328 and the engine coils were replaced. Seems like an obvious fix but BMW doesnt think so
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Here are the 2 different spark plugs you could go with:
NGK 5992 -- ILZKBR7A-8A
Bosch -- ZGR6STE2

Buy the OEM coils, you could prob get them from Turner Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Does the term blowing smoke up your tailpipe mean anything to you?

I've had the same issue with my '07 and it's a failsafe that shuts down the injector bank or put your car into limp mode. I'm sure someone will say it's the HPFP, but it still happens even after replacement. More than likely it was caused by engine misfire. You won't know until you read the code. With high compression and high boost conditions, older plugs and over gapped plugs will misfire. Spend the time to replace and reduce the gap of your plugs to prevent misfire conditions especially with a tune running higher boost pressure.

NGK

Misfires
• A misfire occurs when the spark travels the path of least resistance instead of jumping across the gap. Misfires can be caused by the following:
1. Carbon fouling
2. Worn or deteriorated ignition system components
3. Too large of gap size
4. Spark timing excessively advanced or retarded
5. Damaged spark plugs (cracked insulator, melted electrodes, etc)
6. Mismatched ignition system components (plug resistance / wire resistance, ignition coils / igniter modules, etc.)
7. Insufficient coil primary and/or secondary voltage – voltage required to jump the spark plug gap higher than coil output

Anyway, I know people say Sea Foam doesn't work, but the stuff has been around for 60 years and I know a lot of professionals who use it. Not much different than what most shops will do to your car and then charge you for the labor... Disconnect the charge pipe at the throttle body and use the Sea Foam spay as directed. Do not spray Sea Foam on your Mass Flow Air Sensor, and don’t perform this at home, your neighbors won’t like you for months because of the smoke. Again, follow the directions. Two or three minutes of spray at an elevated idle. Shut down and let sit for 5 to 10 min. Hook up the charge pipe to the throttle body and run the shit out of your car until it stops smoking. So less than $10 and 1 hour of your time… I would also recommend a new set of NGK Iridium plugs. Good luck and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Quote:

Thanks
This should be covered under your maintenance plan if it is not covered by the injector recall. I've had injectors and plugs replaced by my dealer even when I didn't have any symptoms. Try another dealership.
Appreciate 0