E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > CEL & Limp mode today???

11-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Gran Coopay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Gran Coupe SG

CEL & Limp mode today???

Today heading to work like normal and an IS350 is tailgating me. I PROcede'd to toast him. In manual/step I drop from 6th to 4th and go from 80 - 105 or so, then limp mode and "service engine soon" lights come on. I have v1.47 and have had the boost target limp mode before, but this was different. I still had power, sort of, but when I accelerated a violent shutter began. I pulled off the freeway to restart, and as i'm slowing to pullover all the CEL's went off and it feels about only 85% as before. Has anyone else had this happen?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_E90 View Post
Today heading to work like normal and an IS350 is tailgating me. I PROcede'd to toast him. In manual/step I drop from 6th to 4th and go from 80 - 105 or so, then limp mode and "service engine soon" lights come on. I have v1.47 and have had the boost target limp mode before, but this was different. I still had power, sort of, but when I accelerated a violent shutter began. I pulled off the freeway to restart, and as i'm slowing to pullover all the CEL's went off and it feels about only 85% as before. Has anyone else had this happen?
What you got was knock retard. Did you fill up with bad gas? IIRC, AZ is like CA in that you only get 91oct. This makes picking a quality gas station critical. Does anyone else drive your car? Could they have filled up with regular?

As for being down on power, that's normal if you got knock activity. Power will slowly creep back up once the ECU confirms that everything is back to normal. Just run out the tank of gas and fill it up again with some quality gas.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Did you recently fill up or put gas in?

I got that from a couple times on my sedan when I was on v1.2 and v1.4
Like you, it would clear pretty quickly though and all was fine after that.

I have never gotten a limp with v1.47 on my auto coupe though.

If it cleared right away you should be fine, you probably just didn't hit the boost target or if you recently filled up, maybe got a bad batch of gas.

It is the shuttering you mentioned that might be a concern.
That has never happened to me and sounds like it could be the fuel pump issue.

How many miles on your car?
When was it made?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Ahh, Shiv snuck in the post before I got a chance to respond too.

Stick with Chevron, Shell or Union 76 if you can.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
Gran Coopay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Gran Coupe SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
What you got was knock retard. Did you fill up with bad gas? IIRC, AZ is like CA in that you only get 91oct. This makes picking a quality gas station critical. Does anyone else drive your car? Could they have filled up with regular?

As for being down on power, that's normal if you got knock activity. Power will slowly creep back up once the ECU confirms that everything is back to normal. Just run out the tank of gas and fill it up again with some quality gas.

Shiv
I put Shell 91 in it last. The station was sort of seedy though and was a "cash discount" type of place, but still Shell. Should that matter? Anyways, i'll run this tank out, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
I put Shell 91 in it last. The station was sort of seedy though and was a "cash discount" type of place, but still Shell. Should that matter? Anyways, i'll run this tank out, thanks.
Not saying this is the same situation, but I had a gas station doing a deal like that and they actually watered down the gas.....
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
If it was "seedy", i'd chalk it up to that. Still with a reputable gas station and you'll be good to go

Shiv
Appreciate 0