E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328 E92 N52 Horsepower Gains?

03-30-2018, 12:39 AM   #1
Iranh17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E92 N52

328 E92 N52 Horsepower Gains?

Hey I just got my first BMW and I've done some research about performance and I see with this NA engine mods are limited and pricey but I have a list here and I wanted to know if these mods all together would put my car in the 400hp range? (230hp Stock) 2007 328i 2007 E92 N52 Any feedback would be appreciated!

Active Autowerke BMW E90 / E92 328i / E82 128i N52 Performance Tune Software (15hp approx)

AFE Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Intake (7hp approx)

BMW N52 PERFORMANCE EXHAUST HEADER (20hp approx)

330i Intake Manifold Kit for 2006-13 BMW N52 (30hp approx)

ESS N52 VT1 Supercharger System (Gen.2) (100hp approx)

The engine has to be tuned of course after all these mods, but with all these mods added to the car do you all believe the car could pull 400+ hp?

I'm really new to the tuning world educate me please and correct me if I'm wrong but besides engine improvement there are other factors that affect performance such as weight reduction and wheel size. Like I said, correct me if I'm wrong but smaller wheels provide better acceleration so if I wanted to improve that I should settle for 16"s? I've also heard muffler deletes can add more horsepower rather than a new exhaust system; would there be more gains in power with a delete rather than a performance exhaust system? Is there any other mods I could add to my car other than the ones I provided that could give it gains or is that all I can pretty much do with my engine? Appreciate you all.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 12:54 AM   #2
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Will you have 400 whp with all those parts plus a custom tune? No.

However, you will definitely have 300 whp, same as a stock 335i.

But...All of those parts (plus labor) will definitely cost $7000 or more. At this point, you might as well have sold your car and gotten a similar mileage/condition 335i.

THERE IS A REASON NOBODY DOES EXTENSIVE PERFORMANCE MODS on 325/328/330 E9X cars. The value proposition is not there.

I have an LCI 328i. Only mods are a Rogue Ikon exhaust, BMS PBX, and a charcoal delete and I'm happy with it. If I wanna have a little more fun, just slap the gear shifter into DS mode.

THE BMS PBX combined with DS mode really awakens the car. Some folks may beg to differ. But that's just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2018, 12:57 AM   #3
Iranh17
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
Will you have 400 whp with all those parts plus a custom tune? No.

However, you will definitely have 300 whp, same as a stock 335i.

But...All of those parts (plus labor) will definitely cost $7000 or more. At this point, you might as well have sold your car and gotten a similar mileage/condition 335i.

THERE IS A REASON NOBODY DOES EXTENSIVE PERFORMANCE MODS on 325/328/330 E9X cars. The value proposition is not there.

I have an LCI 328i. Only mods are a Rogue Ikon exhaust, BMS PBX, and a charcoal delete and I'm happy with it. If I wanna have a little more fun, just slap the gear shifter into DS mode.

THE BMS PBX combined with DS mode really awakens the car. Some folks may beg to differ. But that's just my 2 cents.
Thank you for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 01:45 AM   #4
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

You should get plenty of feedback on this topic. Many of us have multiple mods, while some are stock and a few have gone over the top.

I agree with BimmerNugget, there is a reason most dont overboard with mods for our N52. It’s costly! Unless you can turn a wrench and do a lot of install/labor yourself.

Also consider with that upgraded power other parts will wear faster and break. So with that in mind it is also in your best interest to upgrade braking and suspension to handle the extra power...thus more money!

I have a 2011 E91 328...it has 3IM, Airscoops, stock box charcoal delete w/KN drop in and Silicone down tube. AA axel back exhaust, custom mid pipe and secondary cat delete and AA tune. I just purchased AA headers (ceramic coated) those will go on soon with a re-tune. I also have the Sprint Booster, also like Bimmer Nugget.

I have also upgraded to M3 brakes and M3 sways and bushings with Eibach Pro kit. It is a nice balance of more power and handling.

Just things to consider, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranh17 View Post
Hey I just got my first BMW and I've done some research about performance and I see with this NA engine mods are limited and pricey but I have a list here and I wanted to know if these mods all together would put my car in the 400hp range? (230hp Stock) 2007 328i 2007 E92 N52 Any feedback would be appreciated!

Active Autowerke BMW E90 / E92 328i / E82 128i N52 Performance Tune Software (15hp approx)

The engine has to be tuned of course after all these mods, but with all these mods added to the car do you all believe the car could pull 400+ hp?

I'm really new to the tuning world educate me please and correct me if I'm wrong but besides engine improvement there are other factors that affect performance such as weight reduction and wheel size. Like I said, correct me if I'm wrong but smaller wheels provide better acceleration so if I wanted to improve that I should settle for 16"s? I've also heard muffler deletes can add more horsepower rather than a new exhaust system; would there be more gains in power with a delete rather than a performance exhaust system? Is there any other mods I could add to my car other than the ones I provided that could give it gains or is that all I can pretty much do with my engine? Appreciate you all.
It doesn’t work that way. You don’t just add horsepower just by adding potential gains. Some mods compliment each other but don’t necessarily give most gains when combined. For example, exhaust claims about 20 hp, but if you have any mods, most likely you can pick up maybe 5-10?

The best approach for what you are listing is BPC tune as they offer a supercharger tune that works with all other addons. However, what you posited is going to cost you over $8,000 (sc kit 5k, headers ~1k, tune ~700, pe exhaust 1000, intake manifold $200, intake 300, etc. )

My recommendation is to do go with BPC tune ($700), 3 stage intake manifold (200), milvs (350), revo hose (50) and exhaust (700). You will get great balance of power with awesome sound for about $2000.
Appreciate 3
Noir883.00
Ali-E90370.50
      03-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Quote:

It doesnÂ’t work that way. You donÂ’t just add horsepower just by adding potential gains. Some mods compliment each other but donÂ’t necessarily give most gains when combined. For example, exhaust claims about 20 hp, but if you have any mods, most likely you can pick up maybe 5-10?

The best approach for what you are listing is BPC tune as they offer a supercharger tune that works with all other addons. However, what you posited is going to cost you over $8,000 (sc kit 5k, headers ~1k, tune ~700, pe exhaust 1000, intake manifold $200, intake 300, etc. )

My recommendation is to do go with BPC tune ($700), 3 stage intake manifold (200), milvs (350), revo hose (50) and exhaust (700). You will get great balance of power with awesome sound for about $2000.
To go off of this, I'm gonna have to add the cost of bpc installing the SC kit as I have headers and I don't want to damage my engine/the unit. Was quoted about 1 G for install & dyno tune session. So there's that lol...
      03-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Iranh17
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't work that way. You don't just add horsepower just by adding potential gains. Some mods compliment each other but don't necessarily give most gains when combined. For example, exhaust claims about 20 hp, but if you have any mods, most likely you can pick up maybe 5-10?

Thanks for the feedback Where could I find the tune from BPC? Link? UPDATE: Ohh I see what you mean lol 😂😂😂 nvm sorry
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
To go off of this, I'm gonna have to add the cost of bpc installing the SC kit as I have headers and I don't want to damage my engine/the unit. Was quoted about 1 G for install & dyno tune session. So there's that lol...
That's not bad. Tune alone is about $700. $300 might be worth being able to sleep peacefully knowing everything is fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #9
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
That's not bad. Tune alone is about $700. $300 might be worth being able to sleep peacefully knowing everything is fine.
No! I don't mind the cost, just so homeboy knows, especially if he does headers first. I'm stoked nonetheless!

edit: Not expecting anything more than 320 - 330 whp at the end of it all. I am aiming to take the kit higher with the right plumbing / add ons. But everything I have altogether plus the SC will probably yield the above number