E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3 Series To Be Built in US?

09-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #199
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
That is not fair, you are in Wilmington.

Seriously, not far up the road from you they are producing much of the countries pharmaceuticals and medical supplements all done by Americans.
Haha, this is true. I guess its a good thing that I don't take any meds.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #200
ede92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Couldn't the whole matter revolve around the first year of a completely new type of vehicles for MB?
Well it was a brand new supply chain of parts from the US that created issues as well. So even if we gave them the benefit of the doubt that they did have a quality MFG process and a fundamentaly good product design, the third party suppliers of parts could not meet their standards.

I mean things like lug nuts rusted after a year, drive shafts had to be replaced multiple times and other drivetrain issues, power window motors went bad, even the engines were crapping out prematurely.

It took 3 model years for them to clear up all the problems.
      03-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #201
szeleung
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90, 6 Speed, Black/Black

There goes BMW...

FYI, some 3 series are built in the Africa assembly plant.

Also, how can it NOT make a difference where a car is built. The quality control environment, management oversight, and work ethics has everything to do with the quality of the finished product. The car is only as good as the people who build it. You can have the perfect design, but still end up with a bad product if executed poorly. Of course, denial is always the first sign of grief.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #202
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeleung View Post

Also, how can it NOT make a difference where a car is built. The quality control environment, management oversight, and work ethics has everything to do with the quality of the finished product. The car is only as good as the people who build it. You can have the perfect design, but still end up with a bad product if executed poorly. Of course, denial is always the first sign of grief.
You resurrected an old ass thread for this? Really?
      03-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #203
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:

Oi

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #204
szeleung
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90, 6 Speed, Black/Black

Sorry, I was bored.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #205
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry, I was bored.
Then you should take your whole car apart. It would be a better use of your time.
      03-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #206
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:

And the SA plant has a sterling reputation for QC.

Have you ever seen the people in North Carolina?????? Ever tried talking to one? Ever heard it try to talk back to you? I'd rather have African tribesmen building my cars, thanks....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #207
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
And the SA plant has a sterling reputation for QC.

Have you ever seen the people in North Carolina?????? Ever tried talking to one? Ever heard it try to talk back to you? I'd rather have African tribesmen building my cars, thanks....
I have watched a program that showed how the Z4 was built in the Spartanburg factory and they seemed like a fine bunch, nothing wrong at all. Mind Explaining?

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #208
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
I have watched a program that showed how the Z4 was built in the Spartanburg factory and they seemed like a fine bunch, nothing wrong at all. Mind Explaining?
A source of mine has told me that those were paid actors. The real workers were down the street guzzling Jim Beam and throwing feces at passing motorists.

True story.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #209
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
A source of mine has told me that those were paid actors. The real workers were down the street guzzling Jim Beam and throwing feces at passing motorists.

True story.
LOL

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #210
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

True story.
Throwing feces is quite cathartic. I highly recommend doing it. Being a target of said throws, not so much.
      03-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #211
initforfun
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

"Have you ever seen the people in North Carolina?????? Ever tried talking to one? Ever heard it try to talk back to you? I'd rather have African tribesmen building my cars, thanks...."

First off the BMW plant is in South Carolina, I happen to be from North Carolina where you based your ignorant comment - if you really feel "we" are that ignorant I will be glad to go head to head to discuss any topic of your choice - from cars to integral calculus... by the way, I have been to Chicago a few times myself - not exactly the epicenter of mensa types from my experience either...

you have already shown you are a jerk - don't bother to repost.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #212
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by initforfun View Post
"Have you ever seen the people in North Carolina?????? Ever tried talking to one? Ever heard it try to talk back to you? I'd rather have African tribesmen building my cars, thanks...."

First off the BMW plant is in South Carolina, I happen to be from North Carolina where you based your ignorant comment - if you really feel "we" are that ignorant I will be glad to go head to head to discuss any topic of your choice - from cars to integral calculus... by the way, I have been to Chicago a few times myself - not exactly the epicenter of mensa types from my experience either...

Wow, feisty first post. It was just a joke, cool down .

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #213
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Dang, you registered just to say that? Sweet jesus, lighten up. I'm from California, feel free to call me a bleeding heart liberal hippy pussy. I won't mind.
      03-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #214
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 AW Saddle, Spt, Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliverman View Post
there's goes BMW...might as well buy a Pontiac! GEZ!
There goes BMW....might as well buy a Mercedes! SHEEZ!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #215
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
damn...why'd ppl buy the X5, X6....its build in SC and its piece of crap!
      03-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #216
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Then you should take your whole car apart. It would be a better use of your time.
That made me laugh out loud, which usually takes a lot!

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #217
pjm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Dang, you registered just to say that? Sweet jesus, lighten up. I'm from California, feel free to call me a bleeding heart liberal hippy pussy. I won't mind.
You're a bleeding heart liberal hippy pussy!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #218
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

I think American workers are great and I am all for renewing American industry back to its early and mid-20th century geatness, but not necessarily on a German car. Even if the quality of the build stayed exactly the same, anyone who says they don't care about the status, or didn't even care about the increased status of buying a $50k, $60k or $70k GERMAN made car is lying through their f'n teeth. Where's boltjames when you need him to give a lecture on status? WTF!?!?! I hope he chimed in already (I didn't have the patience to read through 10 pages of comments). Calling boltjames! Calling boltjames!

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #219
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:

LOL

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Honestly calm down. Talk all the shit about Chicago you want to. I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch. I'm glad I inspired enough anger for you to create a profile just to post that. I made a difference in someone's life today, and that someone is YOU, buddy!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #220
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

As long as BMW is still in control of the build quality/quality control, I dont give a shit if the build them on the moon...
Appreciate 0