E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > So has anyone here kept their BMS cold air intake on, well..in the cold?

10-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

So has anyone here kept their BMS cold air intake on, well..in the cold?

I've never run anything but the stock airbox during any part of my car ownership, and a part of me is a bit paranoid that the snow and ice is going to stop the cold air from moving through the open air intake filter, causing a moderate catastrophe.

I know that sounds pretty stupid, but what's everyone's thoughts on this sort of thing?

Also I might be imagining this also, but my free flow exhaust is just not burbling and popping as much as it used to since I've swapped out my stock airbox.

Any thoughts on that as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Teeeg28
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 "328i" N51
Location: San Diego a.k.a. A Whales Vagina // Cal State San Marcos

imo I do not think the airbox would effect the gurgle in the exhaust, i think you are just worrying yourself. But I could always be wrong.

btw I have always loved your car
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Lol you're just being paranoid man. Air will always take the path of least resistance, you would have to cover all of the cones with so much snow. This doesn't require a scientific explanation...it's just not an issue.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Awww man, thanks brother! You definitely seem like an old soul who has his shit together and a great head on his shoulders.

Yea I figured it wouldn't magically blow the car up in the snowy winter months, and you are most likely right about the exhaust

By the way, don't let anyone here get to you kiddo! I see you're going for the medical field- I think that is fantastic. I'm a doctor of sorts- for computers (technical "analyst" haha.)

Thanks again, and keep us all posted on your progress along your modding and life journey.

I hope I can speak for most of us here when I say we are your family- and you should feel free to turn to us with any questions, or concerns or stories you may want to share.

Best and God bless.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
Lol you're just being paranoid man. Air will always take the path of least resistance, you would have to cover all of the cones with so much snow. This doesn't require a scientific explanation...it's just not an issue.
Haha yea, what a silly concern- you're right. Thanks 135!
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Teeeg28
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 "328i" N51
Location: San Diego a.k.a. A Whales Vagina // Cal State San Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Awww man, thanks brother! You definitely seem like an old soul who has his shit together and a great head on his shoulders.

Yea I figured it wouldn't magically blow the car up in the snowy winter months, and you are most likely right about the exhaust

By the way, don't let anyone here get to you kiddo! I see you're going for the medical field- I think that is fantastic. I'm a doctor of sorts- for computers (technical "analyst" haha.)

Thanks again, and keep us all posted on your progress along your modding and life journey.

I hope I can speak for most of us here when I say we are your family- and you should feel free to turn to us with any questions, or concerns or stories you may want to share.

Best and God bless.

That means tons to me, thanks you
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
I've never run anything but the stock airbox during any part of my car ownership, and a part of me is a bit paranoid that the snow and ice is going to stop the cold air from moving through the open air intake filter, causing a moderate catastrophe.

I know that sounds pretty stupid, but what's everyone's thoughts on this sort of thing?

Also I might be imagining this also, but my free flow exhaust is just not burbling and popping as much as it used to since I've swapped out my stock airbox.

Any thoughts on that as well?
Hey,

That hood on your car should protect your intake from actual snow I've had no issues with my DCI over the past couple winters in Nj and even during my crazy trek to Chicago back in Feb 2013 when I hit single digit temps.

The air going into your throttle body will get smoothed out and then routed by the engine intakes in a variable way (All normal regardless of the type of cone/filter/airbox you use).

Only your turbos will impact the way the "burble" of your exhaust will sound, you have a 1xtwin scroll turbo N55 which is different then our 2xsingle scroll turbos of the N54 (burble will be different). Definitely, we will never get to have a rumble of a NA car, only turbo burbles for us.

No catastrophe should come your way unless your air intake is fully submerged in water (which means the entire front of your car is in standing liquid water, not frozen or steam state). Even a light amount of moistening of the air filter will not hydrolock your car. The cone filters are just a cotton filter that holds the oil (The oil does all the filtering), actually the more dirty an oiled filter is... the better a job it is doing at cleaning the air because the dirt is helping to block other future dirt).

- Faz
Appreciate 0