E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Slammed Wheel in Crater

04-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Slammed Wheel in Crater

Was driving on the FDR by 61st exit right before you go under the hospital. Its 5am. Can't see crap. Next thing you know BAM!.

I litteraly hit this so hard that my ears popped no exaggeration.

So my point of opening this thread is, If I ever hit a hole this hard on a lowered suspension I go crazy looking for any leaks, cracked parts. I'm on the M sport suspension (ZSP something?)

There was nothing..car drove straight. I know this suspension wasn't made by suspension God's themselves. But can it withold a huge beating?

I'm just freaking out since i drove maybe 15 min more after that and there were no signs of anything wrong.

I checked the rim to see if there was any cracks, and there was none i saw.

Stupid question but, I'm not sure if RFT bubble up on the sidewall as well? Nothing stuck out at me when I was checking the rim.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
OUCH. The stock wheels are pretty stout and hopefully it was a tire at worst that fails. I remember that pot hole as we traveled down the same path yesterday.
      04-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
OUCH. The stock wheels are pretty stout and hopefully it was a tire at worst that fails. I remember that pot hole as we traveled down the same path yesterday.
      04-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoduffer View Post
Did you hit it? It was in the middle lane...I normally drive on the left lane too since I get off that exit. Me being tired, going into work extremely early, and clearly not thinking straight all played a role into this event.

I couldn't even see the depth of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

lucky you! you'll know if you mess something up... I hit a pothole doing 35-40mph once, and hit so hard that my fog light bulb shattered... had to get a new tire/wheel from the stealership (since they towed), and it cost just under $1200 for the rim and tire... that wasn't fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Ouch man, I know the feeling. Make sure you check the shock towers and bushings for damage as well. The alignment could be off slightly but maybe not enough for it to pull to one side though.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.335
Quote:
Did you hit it? It was in the middle lane...I normally drive on the left lane too since I get off that exit. Me being tired, going into work extremely early, and clearly not thinking straight all played a role into this event.

I couldn't even see the depth of it.
It was pretty big. Luckily it was bumper to bumper when we rolled through, so it felt like a big dip at our speed.
      04-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It was pretty big. Luckily it was bumper to bumper when we rolled through, so it felt like a big dip at our speed.
Tried looking over while driving back to see it..but no luck from traffic.

Driving home car didnt make noises, when I pulled it out of the garages I checked everything before taking off..nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Not even a bubble on the tire.

Only thing that is getting to me is when I was driving i had the wheel tilted 4-7* tilted to the right (steering wheel wasn't that crazy that the wheel being turned to keep straight was all the way to the right, but it seemed it was a little more then normal). To keep it in lane. Obviously when were all driving It's not a straight road and were trying to keep the wheel straight. Pretty sure I'm just getting myself worked up and trying to find something wrong. It was the drivers side wheel that took the beating also so if anything It would be pulling me to the left if it were out of alignment and actually pulling me, not just trying to keep it straight minimally? Assuming.

When I got near my house I used the straightest roads I could find with the less bumps...sped up and braked pretty hard (Not crazy) but to see if there was a pull in any direction. The wheel stood still while braking...didn't jerk left or right.

Hopefully everythings..

Last edited by Mr.335; 04-29-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0