E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E90 335 with M3 front/rear control arms alignment question

09-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #23
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
You didn't asked them to do M spec toe in/out. You asked to do 335i which they did.
As they told you and as I have been saying here all along is that only toe in/out is adjustable.
Ok, so the conclusion is:

Have alignment shop align car to M spec.

So you're saying that OEM 335 and OEM M has different toe in/out specs, which is what I expected. But just didn't know which spec to go with, 335 or M.

Unless the toe in/out spec between the 335 and M is the same, then the alignment can be for either 335 or M?

Am I getting it right?

I was under the impression that M spec and 335 spec are completely different, hence my question....

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #24
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Ok, so the conclusion is:

Have alignment shop align car to M spec.

So you're saying that OEM 335 and OEM M has different toe in/out specs, which is what I expected. But just didn't know which spec to go with, 335 or M.

Unless the toe in/out spec between the 335 and M is the same, then the alignment can be for either 335 or M?

Am I getting it right?

I was under the impression that M spec and 335 spec are completely different, hence my question....

TIA
"Unless the toe in/out spec between the 335 and M is the same, then the alignment can be for either 335 or M?"
-that doesn't make any sense!

camber = fixed = all e9x, m and non m
caster = fixed = all e9x, m and non m
toe = adjustable = all e9x, m and non m

specs are different but since you installed m3 control arms you can have the m3 spec on your car too.

even without m3 control arms you can have m3 toe in/out spec on 335i

please understand this, why is so difficult for you and the other guy from the previous posts?

you can have whatever toe in/out you want! in the range that the tie rods will allow you to do so.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #25
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Unless the toe in/out spec between the 335 and M is the same, then the alignment can be for either 335 or M?"
-that doesn't make any sense!

camber = fixed = all e9x, m and non m
caster = fixed = all e9x, m and non m
toe = adjustable = all e9x, m and non m

specs are different but since you installed m3 control arms you can have the m3 spec on your car too.

even without m3 control arms you can have m3 toe in/out spec on 335i

please understand this, why is so difficult for you and the other guy from the previous posts?

you can have whatever toe in/out you want! in the range that the tie rods will allow you to do so.
It's not hard for me to understand, for the last time, none of the previous answers answers my question, until this one......

I am aware that camber is adjustable with camber plates, which doesn't apply in my case. Caster is fixed, ok, doesn't answer my question. Toe in/out, you said you can do it to whatever specs you want, I know that, and that wasn't answering my question either.

I think maybe some of you are over thinking my question.....I just wanted to know the spec difference (if any) between the M spec and 335 specs for alignment, out the box, OEM style!! If you added more or less toe, then it's not OEM specs anymore, is it.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #26
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think maybe some of you are over thinking my question.....I just wanted to know the spec difference (if any) between the M spec and 335 specs for alignment, out the box, OEM style!! If you added more or less toe, then it's not OEM specs anymore, is it.
You should have ask just that! Yes, all specs are different and is not only due to different lover control arms. The m3 is heavier, weight distribution is different, has stiffer springs, different valving on the dampers, quicker steering rack, LSD and stiffer swaybars. Mostly the toe in/out is different. M3 is track oriented and is not tire friendly. If you want the specs to compare them, number by number they are all over the internet. No disrespect but there isn't a reason actually to start a thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #27
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You should have ask just that! Yes, all specs are different and is not only due to different lover control arms. The m3 is heavier, weight distribution is different, has stiffer springs, different valving on the dampers, quicker steering rack, LSD and stiffer swaybars. Mostly the toe in/out is different. M3 is track oriented and is not tire friendly. If you want the specs to compare them, number by number they are all over the internet. No disrespect but there isn't a reason actually to start a thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #28
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please re-read my first few posts. I have made it VERY clear that I'm just curious about the OEM specs for both M and 335.........and which one to go with. And then I was hit with all these 'custom' toe in/out possibilities, I know they're there, but don't care about anything 'custom' with regard to specs.....I've also stated that I'm only daily drive the car, with some spirited driving and occasional drag strips.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #29
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please re-read my first few posts. I have made it VERY clear that I'm just curious about the OEM specs for both M and 335.........and which one to go with. And then I was hit with all these 'custom' toe in/out possibilities, I know they're there, but don't care about anything 'custom' with regard to specs.....I've also stated that I'm only daily drive the car, with some spirited driving and occasional drag strips.
Is simple then, leave your current alignment setting as is.
Appreciate 0