E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need help with BC coilover install, rear spring

02-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
dinosaur12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6spd

Need help with BC coilover install, rear spring

Trying to install the rear spring on the BC coilover kit on my 07 335.

The question is how does the spring and perch sit in the body. When I try to mount the perch into the upper coil mount it does not fit in the hole. The perch seems too big (size matters :^)

Here are some pics of the whole system, perch and where I would think it mounts.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Peter@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: P85D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur12 View Post
Trying to install the rear spring on the BC coilover kit on my 07 335.

The question is how does the spring and perch sit in the body. When I try to mount the perch into the upper coil mount it does not fit in the hole. The perch seems too big (size matters :^)

Here are some pics of the whole system, perch and where I would think it mounts.

Thoughts?
Well it sure does look like the upper mount is too big to fit in the hole

Is that "hole" a removable part? Not sure if its actually the rubber piece or not. Maybe you can pull that part off and try the installation again. Or, try to flip the spring assembly upside down.

I haven't seen or installed BC coilovers in person but I'm familiar with the companies that handle the manufacturing. If you can't pull that piece off, that means someone over there messed up in terms of measuring that lower perch and made it too big. But thats highly unlikely unless you are their #1 (meaning, first) customer. Sometimes the car changes around so much that even though the chassis is the same, there are small adjustments causing hardware incompatibility.

I'm also curious as to why the springs are coiled so close together... doesnt look like it will do anything functional if they are already fully compressed

Peter

Last edited by Peter@VMRWheels; 02-08-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

I think Peter has the right idea. I've seen them installed both with and without the factory perch.

Here's an install picture (not my car) with the top perch removed.
Attached Images

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
dinosaur12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@VMRWheels View Post
Well it sure does look like the upper mount is too big to fit in the hole

Is that "hole" a removable part? Not sure if its actually the rubber piece or not. Maybe you can pull that part off and try the installation again. Or, try to flip the spring assembly upside down.

I haven't seen or installed BC coilovers in person but I'm familiar with the companies that handle the manufacturing. If you can't pull that piece off, that means someone over there messed up in terms of measuring that lower perch and made it too big. But thats highly unlikely unless you are their #1 (meaning, first) customer. Sometimes the car changes around so much that even though the chassis is the same, there are small adjustments causing hardware incompatibility.

I'm also curious as to why the springs are coiled so close together... doesnt look like it will do anything functional if they are already fully compressed

Peter
The are where I would think the perch would sit does not come off. It is part of the body/frame.

I called BC racing and the sales person was the only one available. He did give it a good try and after some pics emailed we kind of gave up. Will talk to the tech guy in the AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
dinosaur12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I think Peter has the right idea. I've seen them installed both with and without the factory perch.

Here's an install picture (not my car) with the top perch removed.
How would you remove the top perch?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Peter@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: P85D

Quote:
The are where I would think the perch would sit does not come off. It is part of the body/frame.

I called BC racing and the sales person was the only one available. He did give it a good try and after some pics emailed we kind of gave up. Will talk to the tech guy in the AM.
Those pictures should help... but as I said, chassis is the same from year to year but little parts here and there change... Whatever the case, hope you get the issue sorted out sooner than later
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
chumley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How would you remove the top perch?
I've done springs but not height adjustable so I'm not 100% sure. Expecting my coilovers sometime next week but I have done alot of research.

Here's another photo from a different install that shows the perch. I would guess that it's just friction fit.
Attached Images

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
dinosaur12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I've done springs but not height adjustable so I'm not 100% sure. Expecting my coilovers sometime next week but I have done alot of research.

Here's another photo from a different install that shows the perch. I would guess that it's just friction fit.
Thanks a bunch, will give this a go in a bit. Do you have the link where it talks about the rest of the install?

I was also looking at this image and I am unable to see that cup (what ever its called). Was trying to find some images of the back frame to see if it would show it as a part that was replaceable.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
335iaz
Cause their greeaaaaat!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: SBM E90 335i

The cup does come out, my popped out when I was putting my new springs in ..
      02-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
chumley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a bunch, will give this a go in a bit. Do you have the link where it talks about the rest of the install?

I was also looking at this image and I am unable to see that cup (what ever its called). Was trying to find some images of the back frame to see if it would show it as a part that was replaceable.
Here's a couple general ones. I think the second one has the pict I posted.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=ast+4100

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=sway

Appreciate 1
      02-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
dinosaur12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Here's a couple general ones. I think the second one has the pict I posted.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=ast+4100

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=sway
That did the trick. Both rear springs are in. Not to hard once you understand how it seats in there.
Big thanks, I was hitting a wall with that install.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
That did the trick. Both rear springs are in. Not to hard once you understand how it seats in there.
Big thanks, I was hitting a wall with that install.

Thanks again.
Hate to bump up a ancient thread, but ran into this to...is it a friction fit or do you have to do something speacial to make it seat in the hole...don't see this happening? Anyone else have a answer to this??

Should the perch be removed or left in?
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

depends...mine worked with it in and out but all you do it just tap on the perch and it just falls off.

if it doesnt fit with the perch on then just take it off
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
depends...mine worked with it in and out but all you do it just tap on the perch and it just falls off.

if it doesnt fit with the perch on then just take it off
So yours fit in there?...mine sure didnt LOL!! Guess I will remove it. I was curious if you used this on the bottom....some did some didnt....the stock OEM is trashed so I figured I would use it.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
So yours fit in there?...mine sure didnt LOL!! Guess I will remove it. I was curious if you used this on the bottom....some did some didnt....the stock OEM is trashed so I figured I would use it.
it depends on the springs you have...some should and some shouldnt lol. but for most linear springs you do not use them because they dont fit...but if its for say eibach pro kit then you do use them.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
it depends on the springs you have...some should and some shouldnt lol. but for most linear springs you do not use them because they dont fit...but if its for say eibach pro kit then you do use them.
The bottom part fit in there and the pearch I just removed.....so if you do not use the bottom part does the spring just sit in there?....because the OEM piece didnt really fit LOL!!

I can do a turbo install with no questions, but have several on a spring install
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
The bottom part fit in there and the pearch I just removed.....so if you do not use the bottom part does the spring just sit in there?....because the OEM piece didnt really fit LOL!!

I can do a turbo install with no questions, but have several on a spring install
lol...well you come here and ill do your springs for you while you do my turbos =).

but to answer your question yes it just sits there metal on metal...i felt a little iffy about the whole thing too but its ok
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
lol...well you come here and ill do your springs for you while you do my turbos =).

but to answer your question yes it just sits there metal on metal...i felt a little iffy about the whole thing too but its ok
So I can use the disk if it fits....seemed to fit LOL!!!

Love doing turbo installs, lets meet 1/2 way!!
Appreciate 0