E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Repaint cupholder trim.

07-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
nthanos330i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Sport 6MT

Repaint cupholder trim.

So the dreaded peeling rubberized coating was beginning to plague my cup holders, so I decided to paint them black like some of the M3s I've seen. This took me 1.5 hours and really spruced up the interior.

Tools:
-Safe pry tool
-Phillips head screwdriver
-Razor blade or exacto knife
-Krylon Colormaster flat black

The cupholder surround trim can be removed with the safe pry tool, it is held in with 4 clips, one on either side of the cupholders. BE GENTLE.

Next, removed the cupholders, they are very obviously held in with two screws each.

Next, remove the rubberized coating. I found that peeling it off was the easiest way, as opposed to thinner. I ran my finger nail along the edges of the trim to break the coating, and then simply peeled it off in large sheets. What you are unable to remove can be removed with the exacto knife by lightly running in across the surface of your trim --but be careful not to mare the plastic.

Lastly, clean the pieces thoroughly with alcohol or thinner, and then paint! I did one dust coat, and two full coverage coats. Be sure to use LIGHT coats or else your flat black paint will not dry correctly and will look more satin. Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0