E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > UUC Short Shift Kit (SSK) & Double-Shear Selector Rod (DSSR) **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

06-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #89
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
I have the UUC EVO3 SSK. I used it with the factory single-shear selector rod for a few months with no issues. When I replaced the SSSR with the UUC DSSR, it actually increased the in-gear slop. I should be getting the shims sometime soon - Rob shipped them out yesterday and my house is less than 20 miles from UUC.
I suspect this has to be an issue where the washers were not installed correctly. If you understand how the shift rod works, it is really impossible for a loose stock shift rod to be tighter than the very snug DSSR.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #90
jreich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: montego blue 335 coupe MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I suspect this has to be an issue where the washers were not installed correctly. If you understand how the shift rod works, it is really impossible for a loose stock shift rod to be tighter than the very snug DSSR.
This isn't the case my friend. I had the yellow washers on mine and there was still a little bit more slop than stock. I had a friend wiggle the shifter while I was under the car and the problem comes from slop caused by the space between the bushing that slide into the shifter rod bearing and the inside of the DSSR. Now when I put my stock shifter back on with the DSSR, there was no wiggle room at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #91
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
The washers were indeed installed correctly. Two yellow washers on each side. The slop is all in the shifter end - I believe the clevis needs to be narrower. I tried to add an extra washer to that side but couldn't get the circlip back on. I haven't received the shims yet but hopefully they will fix the issue. If not, I'll be going back to the factory selector rod. I'll keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #92
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quote:
I have the UUC EVO3 SSK. I used it with the factory single-shear selector rod for a few months with no issues.
I kept the factory SSSR. I did not swap it out for the DSSR.
      06-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #93
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The washers were indeed installed correctly. Two yellow washers on each side. The slop is all in the shifter end - I believe the clevis needs to be narrower. I tried to add an extra washer to that side but couldn't get the circlip back on. I haven't received the shims yet but hopefully they will fix the issue. If not, I'll be going back to the factory selector rod. I'll keep everyone posted.
I read once there was a re-design. I have zero in mine to be honest. It would be interesting to find out if a re-design did indeed occur.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #94
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Please do. I also still have some (albeit little) in-gear slop and would contact UUC in case these shims correct the issue.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      06-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #95
Moc247
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M-Sport (LBM)

Quote:
I have the UUC EVO3 SSK. I used it with the factory single-shear selector rod for a few months with no issues. When I replaced the SSSR with the UUC DSSR, it actually increased the in-gear slop. I should be getting the shims sometime soon - Rob shipped them out yesterday and my house is less than 20 miles from UUC.
Please do give us an update. I have the same issue - increased slop after going from the stock rod to DSSR. It was pretty snug with the stock rod and I have near an inch of slop now with the DSSR. I took it back to my mechanic 3 times and we looked at everything together on the lift and it is all installed correctly.

I have thought about going back to the stock rod, but I lost the stock clips so I'd have to order new ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #96
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moc247 View Post
Please do give us an update. I have the same issue - increased slop after going from the stock rod to DSSR. It was pretty snug with the stock rod and I have near an inch of slop now with the DSSR. I took it back to my mechanic 3 times and we looked at everything together on the lift and it is all installed correctly.

I have thought about going back to the stock rod, but I lost the stock clips so I'd have to order new ones.
yikes man, thats waht i hate about modding, u never know, i hope this issue gets fixed

NEW RIDE white GTR!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #97
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

I just tried installing this myelf on jackstands. The cup was a pain in the ass but it eventually got in there. My big problem is that I could NOT get the c clip back onto the selector rod pin. There just was not enough room left on the rod. I will attempt it again tomorrow. So warning to those who want to do this themselves, it aint as easy as it looks. I installed my coilovers with less issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 04:53 AM   #98
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKhan85 View Post
I just tried installing this myelf on jackstands. The cup was a pain in the ass but it eventually got in there. My big problem is that I could NOT get the c clip back onto the selector rod pin. There just was not enough room left on the rod. I will attempt it again tomorrow. So warning to those who want to do this themselves, it aint as easy as it looks. I installed my coilovers with less issue.
It appears a lift is an enormous help on this install from your experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #99
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quote:
Yep. A lot more easy if you have a lift:

07-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #100
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
A lift would help, but maybe not for the issue I am running into. I can get plenty of grip and my hands have enough room. The selector rod is not long enough to fit the washer, c clip and bearing sleeves. The groove for the c clip is completely covered by the time I put on the yellow washer. I'm going to try pinching everything together with a set of pliers today. I even had someone prying the selector rod arm to the right and then pushing the gear shifter into it and there just was no way to get that c clip on there.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #101
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
A lift would help, but maybe not for the issue I am running into. I can get plenty of grip and my hands have enough room. The selector rod is not long enough to fit the washer, c clip and bearing sleeves. The groove for the c clip is completely covered by the time I put on the yellow washer. I'm going to try pinching everything together with a set of pliers today. I even had someone prying the selector rod arm to the right and then pushing the gear shifter into it and there just was no way to get that c clip on there.
My was very snug, but I was able to get it together.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #102
dsswain
Private
Rep
Drives: AW/E90/MT

I've had my EVO 3 and DSSR in a box for 3 months dreading the install. This is not helping my motivation level unfortunatly, but I want it in soo bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #103
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsswain View Post
..but I want it in soo bad.
that's what she said
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #104
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Update on the sloppy DSSR:

Rob was going to send me two precision shims for the shifter bearings that push them out a little bit so that the fit is more snug. However, the shipping department only sent me one. I thought only one was needed (the instruction sheet says use it on one of the shifter bearings). I installed it and it didn't make much of a difference. Then I called Rob and he said they were supposed to send me two (one for each side)! I'm doing the install on ramps and as you can imagine, this has been extremely frustrating. If the second shim does not fix the slop, I will be going back to the factory selector rod.

Also, for those of you having trouble getting the C-clip back on, those yellow washers are "as needed" according to UUC. For the transmission end, I only used one yellow washer and it's snug.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #105
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Update for my install:

I GOT IT ON! It required 1 person in the car with a thick flat head screwdriver to push the selector rod end towards the passenger side. Then the groove was exposed and I got the c-clip on.

Just to reiterate the post above, I called UUC and the yellow washers are as needed and don't need to be on there.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #106
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

So how's fitment now? I got my uuc ssk/dssr used and has 2 yellow washers only..will that be enough??
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #107
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Fitment now is great. There are no regrets now. The resulting shifting action was worth the trouble installing. Most of my in gear slop comes from the carrier and it's bushings( I know the evo3 comes with replacement parts for this but I just did not want to tackle that kinda job on jackstands). In fact I don't see much free play in the stock side shear selector rod at all. I'm sure the DSSR will help but most of my free play is the carrier.

I do have 1 question. How in the world do I adjust the height of this shifter? I loosened the nut but could not move the shifter up or down. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #108
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Fitment now is great. There are no regrets now. The resulting shifting action was worth the trouble installing. Most of my in gear slop comes from the carrier and it's bushings( I know the evo3 comes with replacement parts for this but I just did not want to tackle that kinda job on jackstands). In fact I don't see much free play in the stock side shear selector rod at all. I'm sure the DSSR will help but most of my free play is the carrier.

I do have 1 question. How in the world do I adjust the height of this shifter? I loosened the nut but could not move the shifter up or down. Any suggestions?
I had mine tranny on the ground for the install, but my install was a very tight fit too. Once I got it, then it locked into place with any play. It sounds like your experience may have been similar to mine, but my tranny was on the ground to make it easier.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #109
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I'm still waiting on my DSSR - I ordered it May 21. Talked to Rob about a week or so ago and he said the machine issues were resolved and it would be any day now but I still haven't heard. I'm still hanging in there though as I feel it will be well worth the wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #110
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp3347 View Post
I switched from the BMW SSK to this one after some convicing by John at UUC. Definitely a HUGE difference in quality and shifting feel. Was a very worthwhile purchase.

PS. dropping the drive shaft wouldve made it 10000x easier for us lol

Edit : also if anyone is looking for sway bars ask UUC about them. Their Swaybarbarian bars are incredibly well made and im definitely going to pick up a set when i get some extra cash. Really everything that UUC makes is incredibly well designed and manufactured.

I also have the BMW SSK and thinking of getting the UUC SSK , how would you compare between the two ? How much shorter are the throws between BMW SSK AND UUC SSK, is it worth changing it ?
Appreciate 0