E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Stamp duty

10-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Stamp duty

Hi, may I ask if I buy a car from Qld and ship back to WA, can I pay the stamp duty in Qld in order to enjoy a lower stamp duty rate than paying here in WA?

According to Department of Finance (WA)

http://www.finance.wa.gov.au/cms/content.aspx?id=3081

"The following are exempt from vehicle licence duty:
"........Where a vehicle in the applicant's name has previously been registered in another State/Territory in Australia or another Country....."

Have anyone tried paying stamp duty in another state and escape from the stamp duty payable in your state previously?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Short answer: Yes - but probably not.

You pay stamp duty when you transfer it into your name, so you'd need to go into a QLD government shopfront and transfer it. Show your licence etc.. If it's a WA licence and you claim you live in QLD then they will get you to transfer your licence also - game over.

In saying that - I've done it! I live in the ACT and when I bought my 73' 911, it had NSW plates. I also managed to get the plates NIN311 (available through NSWRego for $210!) and so I wanted to keep it in NSW. A mate of mine owned a butchers shop in Sutton NSW (not far from ACT) and so I got a letter from him stating that the car was kept in his garage as it wasn't my daily drive - only a weekender (it was my daily!). SO although I had an ACT licence, the registration papers stated the car must be regestered to its garage address - not the owners.

Unless you say you keep your car over in QLD as that's where it's garaged, I don't like your chances.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemballa1980 View Post
Short answer: Yes - but probably not.

You pay stamp duty when you transfer it into your name, so you'd need to go into a QLD government shopfront and transfer it. Show your licence etc.. If it's a WA licence and you claim you live in QLD then they will get you to transfer your licence also - game over.

In saying that - I've done it! I live in the ACT and when I bought my 73' 911, it had NSW plates. I also managed to get the plates NIN311 (available through NSWRego for $210!) and so I wanted to keep it in NSW. A mate of mine owned a butchers shop in Sutton NSW (not far from ACT) and so I got a letter from him stating that the car was kept in his garage as it wasn't my daily drive - only a weekender (it was my daily!). SO although I had an ACT licence, the registration papers stated the car must be regestered to its garage address - not the owners.

Unless you say you keep your car over in QLD as that's where it's garaged, I don't like your chances.

Ic...thanks.
Well, I have sent enquiries to both the authority in Qld and Wa , as well as the dealership, to get a more clear definition in how stamp duty is affected when it is an interstate purchase. So far, dealership replied me that Qld recently change their system, and will not allow interstate buyer to pay stamp duty in Qld even if he can provide with a Qld address.
Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
33mjb
BMW fanatic
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i MSport

As far as I know, you will have to pay the stamp duty when you try to transfer or re-register the car. So that means the only way to pay it in QLD would be to transfer it to you in QLD. It sounds like Gemballa's solution may work if you had proof that it was being garaged in QLD, otherwise I don't think its possible:

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/registrati...istration.aspx

Last edited by 33mjb; 10-11-2013 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Kevlemanblue
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 LCI

I bought my car from WA, I'm from Tassie, I had the car registered under his name and sent to me, handed plates in paid the duty and I am receiving the refund of the left rego on the previous plates..

Also because they calculate duty off purchase price, as I bought from a private seller I had to give them a invoice.. Didn't pay as much as I should have
If you're buying from the dealer, they will most likely give you a 7-14 permit, so you should be reimbursed because they are handing the plates in to their state office.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
33mjb
BMW fanatic
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i MSport

I purchased my car in Vic and brought it to QLD. Drove it back, got QLD roadworthy, registered from scratch in QLD (including paying the stamp duty), cancelled Vic Rego, surrendered plates and got refund
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Hi, may I ask if I buy a car from Qld and ship back to WA, can I pay the stamp duty in Qld in order to enjoy a lower stamp duty rate than paying here in WA?

According to Department of Finance (WA)

http://www.finance.wa.gov.au/cms/content.aspx?id=3081

"The following are exempt from vehicle licence duty:
"........Where a vehicle in the applicant's name has previously been registered in another State/Territory in Australia or another Country....."

Have anyone tried paying stamp duty in another state and escape from the stamp duty payable in your state previously?
The advice I have received is that you do nto leaglly have to register a car to purchase it. You would not be able to drive it of course but you can buy in Qld, not register it, ship to Perth and then register here.

Not sure that delivers any saving however, but an interesting concept.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
CYL
Major
Rep

Thanks everyone, so far, I have got some replies from the dealer, I suspect it was ok to pay stamp duty in QLD instead of to pay at WA, but QLD has recently changed the law, and there is no more way to avoid paying stamp duty rate in WA by paying in QLD, which the rate is much lower.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Thanks everyone, so far, I have got some replies from the dealer, I suspect it was ok to pay stamp duty in QLD instead of to pay at WA, but QLD has recently changed the law, and there is no more way to avoid paying stamp duty rate in WA by paying in QLD, which the rate is much lower.
Hi,

This is simply not the case, and highlights the typical attitude of a dealer (they just want your money after all!)

To purchase a car from QLD and pay the applicable QLD stamp duty rates, you need to take delivery of the vehicle in QLD (you don't have to "be" there), to do this you will need to provide an address for the vehicle to be registered at and either proof of residence ($10/Month Phone contract to said address does the trick nicely), or a letter independantly verifying that you will be living at said address until such time that you find your own residence.

I have purchased three cars from QLD doing exactly this, and have never had an issue (and another two from NSW under exactly the same model (although thanks to a blunder I did have to attend a NSW DoT office when I bought the F30)

Hope that helps
      10-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suff View Post
Hi,

This is simply not the case, and highlights the typical attitude of a dealer (they just want your money after all!)

To purchase a car from QLD and pay the applicable QLD stamp duty rates, you need to take delivery of the vehicle in QLD (you don't have to "be" there), to do this you will need to provide an address for the vehicle to be registered at and either proof of residence ($10/Month Phone contract to said address does the trick nicely), or a letter independantly verifying that you will be living at said address until such time that you find your own residence.

I have purchased three cars from QLD doing exactly this, and have never had an issue (and another two from NSW under exactly the same model (although thanks to a blunder I did have to attend a NSW DoT office when I bought the F30)

Hope that helps
Hi, thanks for that. But the dealer said that it can't be done in that way now already? Even if that works, the shipping address of the car is still WA....
Or if the dealer ships the car to a particular said address in Qld, then, who is going to help me ship the car to WA?
Sorry...not fully understand how that works.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
skidz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1mers nuts :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by suff View Post
Hi,

Hope that helps
i think it is a bit unfair to say that when you are in effect enrolling the dealer in your fraudulant activity. what CAN be done is very different from what SHOULD be done, afterall if they got caught they could lose their license.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
CYL
Major
Rep

Thanks everyone. I will just pay the WA stamp duty now.
And for the stamp duty, normally, they will post the invoice to you for the stamp duty payable, but is there any difference if I register an interstate vehicle now?
I know that I have to get a temporary driving permit, then get the car examined, pay for car plate, and then I can drive away the licence centre and wait for the stamp duty invoice?

Would also like to know any area that I have to pay attention to when I get the car licensed or get it examined here in WA.....
Such as a 30% brake pad left, brake rotor wear lips, minor oil leak around engine, will any of these fail the examination?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
ZiggyJJ
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MSport

Quote:
Would also like to know any area that I have to pay attention to when I get the car licensed or get it examined here in WA.....
Such as a 30% brake pad left, brake rotor wear lips, minor oil leak around engine, will any of these fail the examination?
Thanks
I have had all my cars purchased from interstate, they will just go over the car and make sure you have no unapproved modifications and complies with safety & emmissions etc. Out of all my cars I was only ever defected on a WRX (picked me up on a BOV and genuine STI pedals about 10yrs ago (the second inspector said pedals shouldn't have been defected when I took it back for reinspection).

The things you have listed above are all maintenance which will pass.

Our cars are probably on the same truck over from QLD - mine supposedly left in the last few days, can't wait!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #14
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyJJ View Post
I have had all my cars purchased from interstate, they will just go over the car and make sure you have no unapproved modifications and complies with safety & emmissions etc. Out of all my cars I was only ever defected on a WRX (picked me up on a BOV and genuine STI pedals about 10yrs ago (the second inspector said pedals shouldn't have been defected when I took it back for reinspection).

The things you have listed above are all maintenance which will pass.

Our cars are probably on the same truck over from QLD - mine supposedly left in the last few days, can't wait!!!!
Hi ZiggyJJ, thanks, so worried about those items will fail the examination.
what about stamp duty? i heard that i have to pay it off straight away at the licence centre counter instead of waiting for the invoice to come which normally do?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #15
ZiggyJJ
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MSport

Quote:
Hi ZiggyJJ, thanks, so worried about those items will fail the examination.
what about stamp duty? i heard that i have to pay it off straight away at the licence centre counter instead of waiting for the invoice to come which normally do?
Yes that's correct, bring your cheque book or credit card and pay over 2 to 3k in SD which could've been spent on car mods!!

I used to put mine over the pits on O'connor, but just noticed that one no longer exists - looks like Osborne Park may be the next choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #16
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyJJ View Post
Yes that's correct, bring your cheque book or credit card and pay over 2 to 3k in SD which could've been spent on car mods!!

I used to put mine over the pits on O'connor, but just noticed that one no longer exists - looks like Osborne Park may be the next choice.
I thought I can pay it in 28 days?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #17
CYL
Major
Rep

Too bad that my immediate mod list will be shortened if that's the case.
Appreciate 0