E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Whats goin on w my V2?? Boost leak?

12-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #23
john335
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine White

No i just mean the map is adjustable to 8500RPM
      12-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #24
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by john335 View Post
Shiv..... can you help i am running version 2 with the latest map 2.02MT and i have the torque set to 94% up to 7000RPM then i have it at 100% up to 8500RPM. i keep getting the engine symbol on my dash and it goes into like a limp mode. when i turn the car of and on again its ok again. any ideads? is 100% to high for the car at high RPM?
First, set everything to 90% and drive your car. What boost pressures do you see when you go full throttle? Do you stll trigger a code? If so, at what rpm and under what condition?

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 12:54 AM   #25
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

More...

Since the title of the OP is "What's going on with my V2", I thought I would post this here...

I made this log Friday night at the dragstrip. Obviously I had traction problems in 1st and that killed my time. The trap speed on this run was 108mph. Temp was around 49-50 degrees, I was running about 96 octane, and V2.0.1 with the default map settings. This seems a little high to me. I've been running this map for about a week with maybe 150 miles on it. I added 4 gallons of 100 octane for the trip to the track, bumping it to about 96 octane. Are these normal boost peaks for those parameters. And no, I don't have a boost gauge yet...I know...

This second run was also a disaster due to the lack of traction, but shows a peak of 17.2psi...

What do you guys make of this?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 02:03 AM   #26
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
Since the title of the OP is "What's going on with my V2", I thought I would post this here...

I made this log Friday night at the dragstrip. Obviously I had traction problems in 1st and that killed my time. The trap speed on this run was 108mph. Temp was around 49-50 degrees, I was running about 96 octane, and V2.0.1 with the default map settings. This seems a little high to me. I've been running this map for about a week with maybe 150 miles on it. I added 4 gallons of 100 octane for the trip to the track, bumping it to about 96 octane. Are these normal boost peaks for those parameters. And no, I don't have a boost gauge yet...I know...

This second run was also a disaster due to the lack of traction, but shows a peak of 17.2psi...

What do you guys make of this?
Those boost spikes at the very end and, at times, at the very beginning of the each gear are isolated to the intercooler tube. They are caused by sudden throttle closing/opening. The engine does not see them. A mechanical boost gauge would confirm this.

The actual boost pressures you ran, according to your log, was just 12-14psi. Pretty standard for default 90% settings. Just curious... where in AZ are you, and is it anywhere close to sea level?

shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #27
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Those boost spikes at the very end and, at times, at the very beginning of the each gear are isolated to the intercooler tube. They are caused by sudden throttle closing/opening. The engine does not see them. A mechanical boost gauge would confirm this.

The actual boost pressures you ran, according to your log, was just 12-14psi. Pretty standard for default 90% settings. Just curious... where in AZ are you, and is it anywhere close to sea level?

shiv
Thanks Shiv, that's what I recalled from some of the previous threads. I'm looking to install an analog boost gauge with peak recall in the next couple of weeks.

The runs in the datalog were at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix. The track elevation is 1,243ft. My best ET was 13.22 with absolutely no traction in 1st...

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #28
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
One thing to keep in mind if you do in fact have a boost leak is that they are very hard on the Turbo. While the Motor is only seeing 9psi, Xpsi is leaking out of the IC pipes along the way so the Turbo may actually be pushing 15psi+ to try and compensate.
Oh absolutely, imagine if the pipe from the compressor outlet came completely off. The only thing that keeps the turbo from spinning to an infinet rpm is the wastegates opening when the DME sees the proper boost..........now if a pipe is completely off the DME will never see boost, and never open the wastegates, meaning the turbo's will continue to increase in rpm until BOOM!!!
      12-17-2007, 07:59 AM   #29
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
Oh absolutely, imagine if the pipe from the compressor outlet came completely off. The only thing that keeps the turbo from spinning to an infinet rpm is the wastegates opening when the DME sees the proper boost..........now if a pipe is completely off the DME will never see boost, and never open the wastegates, meaning the turbo's will continue to increase in rpm until BOOM!!!
not necessarily. I actually did have a pipe come off during the IC install. On the 1st test run I completely forgot to retighten one clamp....bonehead move. As soon as I started building boost it shot off and I got 1/2 engine sign causing limp. So the car did respond as it should. I can't gaurantee it will always work like that, but in my case it did.

My current issue is a small boost leak I think, so the ECU might not know there is an issue. I should have time tonight to work on it.