E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > NASA HPDE and stripped interiors?

02-22-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

NASA HPDE and stripped interiors?

Wondering if anyone here knows what limitations there are as far as stripping out interiors and running aftermarket seats and harnesses.

I have a project car that I've been playing with that was supposed to be a fun street car, but I've recently decided I want to use it for HDPEs. The interior is already stripped as I was going to do a beige to black swap, and I already bought a pair of Sparco R100 seats and Sparco street harnesses. Can I roll with this as is? A roll cage isn't in the budget this season.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 09:36 PM   #2
charlie_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328ix

HPDE events are open as far as car mods go, it's all about being safe. You are classed by run group based on *your* driving experience, skill and behavior, not your cars performance potential or modification level.

Chin tech form is here, but it's really less stringent than many state inspections. I imagine NASA is similar.
https://chintrackdays.com/forms/techSheet.pdf

Now if you are talking about racing, that's something else entirely and you need to talk to NASA, SCCA, etc. about the class(es) you are considering.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:27 AM   #3
z06801
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95’ LWB Range Rover Cleassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Wondering if anyone here knows what limitations there are as far as stripping out interiors and running aftermarket seats and harnesses.

I have a project car that I've been playing with that was supposed to be a fun street car, but I've recently decided I want to use it for HDPEs. The interior is already stripped as I was going to do a beige to black swap, and I already bought a pair of Sparco R100 seats and Sparco street harnesses. Can I roll with this as is? A roll cage isn't in the budget this season.
With NASA and PCA a stripped interior is fine you just need the same safety in both front seats for your instructor, so if you have a harness your passenger seat has a harness, or both 3 points. Instructor is required till you get past off in your log book. If your looking to get a racing license or do Time Trials NASA is a great group to run with because of the log book, your track time and can lead to a racing license without going to a racing school.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:42 AM   #4
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Fixed back seats may not be oK without a roll bar.

I don't know what a 'street harness' is, but belt mounting points and angles are not taken lightly. Fixed harnesses w/o roll bars may also be frowned up, particularly fixed harnesses that don't have sub belts.

---------

Read

The

Supps