E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335i limp mode party at the track

08-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #639
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
Hope you don't mind Aki...

He's 6MT using stock cooling/coolant. Probably should change that the next go around. This only requires 2 cables that attach into the ECU harness. We did it in between our last 2 sessions. It takes all but 30 minutes start to finish. However, we just ran the wire into the window. Need to have it go through the glovebox for a cleaner install. This thing is easy to use and very accurate. I want one... just not sure I'm ready to drop $700 on it.
isn't it $400?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1692018

If it's only 2 cables that's easy, you're right glovebox install straight to the ECU box would be the clean way to do it. Damn it, I wasn't planning to spend any more track money this month :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #640
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

wow that awesome! how much did you get ur DL for?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #641
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

PeterM1,

I'm considering running 255/40/17 square. I don't have wheels or tires yet. My understanding is you use/used this setup before. I'm attracted to it because 1) want a track specific setup 2) it's most likely lighter than stock 3) it's inexpensive in this size.

TR sells the RS3's for only $125 in this size. I'm hoping I can get a used set of wheels and get the whole thing for approx $1k.

Need your input. How did that work for you? Are you lowered? Any rubbing? (Note my mods below) Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #642
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
isn't it $400?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1692018

If it's only 2 cables that's easy, you're right glovebox install straight to the ECU box would be the clean way to do it. Damn it, I wasn't planning to spend any more track money this month :-)
Save $300 more. He got the DL.

http://gormanms.com/blog/2010/12/16/...11-aim-sports/
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #643
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PeterM1,

I'm considering running 255/40/17 square. I don't have wheels or tires yet. My understanding is you use/used this setup before. I'm attracted to it because 1) want a track specific setup 2) it's most likely lighter than stock 3) it's inexpensive in this size.

TR sells the RS3's for only $125 in this size. I'm hoping I can get a used set of wheels and get the whole thing for approx $1k.

Need your input. How did that work for you? Are you lowered? Any rubbing? (Note my mods below) Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
That's a good price, you could buy the RS3s with K1s from TR and save on mounting costs to partially offset the new vs. used part.

I'm running 245/40/17 square and I couldn't be happier with the setup. Very balanced, predictable, light, tracks as if I'm on rails and no rubbing whatsoever (I'm not lowered). I'm on Kosei K1s with Dunlop Direzzas.

If I wrote somewhere 255 sorry, I meant 245. I wanted to go 255 but I was getting conflicting info on front clearance on the e92s. Later on I borrowed a front 255 set to try and they seemed ok at the paddock but never got to push them at the track surface.

If you have a way to test the 255s before buying, go for them. 245s will fit for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #644
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
That's a good price, you could buy the RS3s with K1s from TR and save on mounting costs to partially offset the new vs. used part.

I'm running 245/40/17 square and I couldn't be happier with the setup. Very balanced, predictable, light, tracks as if I'm on rails and no rubbing whatsoever (I'm not lowered). I'm on Kosei K1s with Dunlop Direzzas.

If I wrote somewhere 255 sorry, I meant 245. I wanted to go 255 but I was getting conflicting info on front clearance on the e92s. Later on I borrowed a front 255 set to try and they seemed ok at the paddock but never got to push them at the track surface.

If you have a way to test the 255s before buying, go for them. 245s will fit for sure.
Thanks Peter. Yeah, I am considering Direzza, RS3, and NT01. I realize the latter is track only. I'm not sure how lowering will come into play. Hope not at all. Any idea on your wheel size and offset?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #645
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Peter. Yeah, I am considering Direzza, RS3, and NT01. I realize the latter is track only. I'm not sure how lowering will come into play. Hope not at all. Any idea on your wheel size and offset?
Keep in mind the RS3s run really wide. I think they made my starspecs look one size down. Almost 10mm for the same sizing. The RS3s hold up really well to temperature vs the Direzzas and dont get greasy. The sidewall is not as stiff but theres tons of grip!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #646
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
Keep in mind the RS3s run really wide. I think they made my starspecs look one size down. Almost 10mm for the same sizing. The RS3s hold up really well to temperature vs the Direzzas and dont get greasy. The sidewall is not as stiff but theres tons of grip!
I guess that means you're running them? 245 or 255? I think RS3 is available in both sizes.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #647
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess that means you're running them? 245 or 255? I think RS3 is available in both sizes.
a bit OT, but im running 265 square with RS3. switched from starspecs and I think theyre a better fit for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #648
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Very informative thread, lots of good info for a noob.

I bet you guys don't seem many diesel out on the track. I am curious how you guys think a 335d would react on the track after a few laps in high temps and whether the diesel would suffer a similar fate as its gasoline brothers unless upgrades are made. Thanks for any insight.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #649
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Wow, you guys are running 17's at the track? cool. Must be nice to be light on your feet. I'm running VMR M3 csl reps staggered: 235/35/19-front 275/30/19-rears. Currently have on worn General exclaim UHP's-Great tires, I've loved every minute in them. However now I'm torn between these 3 tires:

1. Sumitomo HTZ III
2. Kumho Ecsta SPT
3. Good Year Eagle F1

I need a good summer/all season tire that's great on the track, wet or dry, and has good road manners. I'd appreciate any input guys as I'm about to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #650
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

o whoops. i have 18s. wasnt paying attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Wow, you guys are running 17's at the track? cool. Must be nice to be light on your feet. I'm running VMR M3 csl reps staggered: 235/35/19-front 275/30/19-rears. Currently have on worn General exclaim UHP's-Great tires, I've loved every minute in them. However now I'm torn between these 3 tires:

1. Sumitomo HTZ III
2. Kumho Ecsta SPT
3. Good Year Eagle F1

I need a good summer/all season tire that's great on the track, wet or dry, and has good road manners. I'd appreciate any input guys as I'm about to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #651
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I'm a big Goodyear fan, and have been running the F1 Asymmetrics on the track for the past 2 years now, since they came out. Prior to that, I ran Goodyear GS-D3s on track.

I believe it's the best wet traction summer performance tire on the market, and many who took my suggestion and switched also agreed. One friend had it at Laguna in the wet, and passed every car he caught up to. I also tracked Infineon in the wet this past Mar and passed every car I caught up to. I'm sure there were plenty of just-as-fast or faster cars around the track that we never saw, but the fact that neither of us were ever passed should be pretty telling. On the street, the wet traction feels amazing, and in light rain, feels like you're in the dry.

Despite the amazing wet characteristics, it's not why I stuck with Goodyears for track. It was for the superior dry traction. But to be honest, when you're looking at the top few selections in summer performance tires, there's very little difference except for price! For me, I have direct experience comparing with PS2s, and to be honest, the dry grip is pretty much the same. So like I said, I believe only marginal differences between top selections.

But also having driven tuned 335is running General Exclaims, I'm confident you'll notice a big difference.

Lastly, the Goodyears have better treadwear than the PS2s, and even with track days, I get about 30K miles for the front, but only 18-20K miles for the rears. I'm a bit disappointed that it's less than the obsolete GS-D3s, which got me 35K miles front, and 30K rear.

On the track, my front tires are completely chunked out after 6 track days...which is not surprising and happens to all street tires. I got it in January, and by April, I was done. But it has plenty of treadwear left for the road, which was why I haven't swapped them out yet. Rear tires are not chunked.

Right now, I'm consider trying the Yokohama AD08s next (very popular choice, lots of people run on track). Unfortunately, treadwear on these are extremely poor from all accounts. For those who participate in at least 5 track events per year, the most I heard was 18K miles, to as low as 8K miles, which is a big problem since I put ~18K miles annually on my car. If I chunked out my front tires after 6 events, I'm guessing the AD08s would be even worse for me.

I'm running a staggered 19" setup. Hope this review helps.

P.S. I've run Sumitomos and Kumhos in the past, but that was many years ago. I was NOT impressed with them, but as I don't have a direct comparison to the F1s and PS2s, I didn't comment on them in the main text. My feeling is they're on par to the General Exclaims or slightly better, but not significantly so.

P.P.S. I have to say that I've met a few people who ran Asymmetrics on track who switched to AD08s and loved them. They mentioned Asymmetrics/PS2s are really good, but AD08s are even better! But because of poor treadwear, they recommended buying a 2nd set of wheels for the AD08s and track use. That's why I chose to stay w/ the F1s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post

1. Sumitomo HTZ III
2. Kumho Ecsta SPT
3. Good Year Eagle F1

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension

Last edited by orionredwing; 08-19-2011 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #652
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
P.P.S. I have to say that I've met a few people who ran Asymmetrics on track who switched to AD08s and loved them. They mentioned Asymmetrics/PS2s are really good, but AD08s are even better! But because of poor treadwear, they recommended buying a 2nd set of wheels for the AD08s and track use. That's why I chose to stay w/ the F1s.
I'm currently running on the AD08s now...255/35/18 square on OEM 193M rear wheels. Work wonderful on track. I'm also using these on streets too, but it's too early to tell how well or poor they will wear for street use.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #653
meepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Quote:
Yep, the Solo is just like a PerformanceBox and the Solo DL is like a PBox + sensor bridge + analog sensors but at anmuch lower price and using the built in sensors from the ECU. My original setup is documented here:
http://trackmeep.posterous.com/video-methodology

Which produce videos like this one:

Which were useful, but not as compelling to learn from without steering, throttle and brake info. RPM, oil temp, water temp, IATs were just sugar on top. The issue was the cost of getting the data was expensive and the only one that had good ECU integration was AiM.

Final point - you can't actually get a Solo DL yet in the states. It probably won't be available until October or so while the system is vetted in other markets. I picked mine up for $700 AUD when I was in Australia for work two weeks ago. I think pricing in the US will be $800, but don't want to misrepresent that, so wait for the official bimmer world pricing. I would re-buy it in a heartbeat at that price and with just what it currently has in terms of functionality. Cheaper and more functional than any other unit that can do what this does.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #654
meepster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Question: how do you sync it with the video? Is it just a overlay in iMovie and you play with the timing does it have it's own software? How were those new tires on day 2? Feel better than the PS2? Inspire more confidence?
I'll do a full write-up like the PBox + RaceRender + GoPro one here:
http://trackmeep.posterous.com/video-methodology

But the short story is:
A) I used TrackVision for the video + dashboard + data integration (http://www.trackvision.net/)
B) sync is manual, if I had another camera I would do an audio sync with a rev or honk. Data is done based on start or movement in the video and the data manually.
C) tires felt great on both days, definitely focused on driver skill at this point and don't feel like I'm running out of rubber the way I was in April with the PS2s as evidenced in the video below

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 01:38 AM   #655
meepster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I highly recommend the Nitto NT01's if these will be track dedicated. The RS3s would be a close second. I also think the Apex square 17x9 setup is sweet, though tha alone will be 1000. Eddy will also mount and balance the tires for you if you drop ship to him, tidally from discount tire direct (wheee I bought the Nittos).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #656
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

I think it may be available now in the US...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571305

Btw, should be start another 'General Track Thread'? I know I'm probably the cause but a lot of this is OT.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #657
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Btw, should be start another 'General Track Thread'? I know I'm probably the cause but a lot of this is OT.
I call this one a "forum in a thread" :-)

Yeah, it may be time to start a new thread. May I suggest someone start by posting their HPDE track setup (suspension, tires, brakes, safety gear, data acquisition, performance mods - i.e. everything except cooling and limp modes :-) ) and why the setup works for them.

I bet that will explode into another monster thread in no time
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #658
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

holy crap, the online spreadsheet is growing fast!

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #659
riverol
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

ATF cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Oh Hack. Don't be a hater. I never knew I would drive my car on the track when I bought it and voila, I'm introduced to a whole new hobby because of it. It's the car I have so it's the car I drive.

With all that, if I knew then what I know now I would have bought an MT or waited for the M3.

You can still have fun with an AT (sub 2 at Infineon on streets) but it'll just never be a great track car or the best 335 you can track.
Has anyone put in an ATF cooler before the heat exchanger, perhaps with an inline filter before the cooler? That way the heat exchanger warms up ATF for daily driving in winter, but the cooler keeps ATF (and engine coolant) temperature down in summer and at the track. The inline filter should keep cooler and ATF clean. Perhaps then ATF flushes with an in-line filter change could do away with periodic replacement of the ATF pan/filter. Please, all of you let me know what you think.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #660
zazzn
Rep
Drives: None yet

Hi where do I find the spreadsheet?

If someone could help I really don't want to read 30 pages, I skimmed about 10 already but have no definitive answers.

I'm looking at buying a 135 or 335, but I'm worried about this overheating oil problem, I'm going to get a 6 spd, and only look for one with sport package so I have the oil cooler.

What is the definitive answer to keep these engines cool?

Monacool engine mix/Stage 2 Oil cooler

Is that it? I want to lap for a session with out having to pull over ever 3-4 laps or loosing power. If this is the case, I may just opt to buy a e90 M3, instead but would rather save the money if I can!

Last edited by zazzn; 09-16-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0