E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

06-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #5325
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i View Post
As long as logic doesnt change it will be a quick change. Switching standard / stock throttle to linear throttle is just a table change. You are changing how the pedal affects tq request and tps angle at different loads and rpms.

I don't have a problem. I just hate when people (mainly vendors) have agendas and you aren't one I've seen have one in the past but I thought I'd make sure early lol. Too many people run around here thinking they know what they are talking about and spread misinformation and propaganda of vendors that may or may not have too much persuation through that transfrer of bs info. Again - I haven't seen you do that.
I'm not like that. I have seen those tactics in the past from other people though. We strive on honesty and integrity. It's also one of the reasons we offer a lifetime warranty we are here to stay, not make a quick buck with propaganda and misinformation.

No harm, no foul I do appreciate the responses though.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #5326
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Has anyone tried E85 mix with Cobb? I'm thinking about running the sport map and mixing some E85 fuel in?
      06-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #5327
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
Has anyone tried E85 mix with Cobb? I'm thinking about running the sport map and mixing some E85 fuel in?
I'm sure a ton of people have. My experience with doing it and logging is that everything looks good, but the ECU will still pull timing due to hot air charge temps once the IC is heat-soaked even though there's no detonation. So it helps, but not as much as it helps on some older platforms.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #5328
Hampi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Alpina B4S

Will the Cobb also work with the BMW Performance Package?
Car is a 335 xi manual 2007.
      06-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #5329
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Thing is you won't see the full benefits of E85 like on the JB4 & PROcede (both have new map updates that are E85 specific). If you do want to run E85 (or meth or race gas), you're going to need ATP custom tuned maps. Check COBBs website, they give a complete list for ATP tuning facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampi View Post
Will the Cobb also work with the BMW Performance Package?
Car is a 335 xi manual 2007.
COBB won't work w/ the PPK, it'll actually override & replace the PPK settings with whatever Stage you want to flash the DME for.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #5330
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Thing is you won't see the full benefits of E85 like on the JB4 & PROcede (both have new map updates that are E85 specific). If you do want to run E85 (or meth or race gas), you're going to need ATP custom tuned maps. Check COBBs website, they give a complete list for ATP tuning facilities.
I here ya Benzy. My issue is I first tried the Cobb on the Sport map and the car was a BEAST. However, I felt bad running the sport map with my weak CA 91 octane gas. I attempted to log a 3rd gear pull from 2000-redline and it was impossible to do where I live. I don't really have any straight roads and there is traffic all the time (not worth getting pulled over). btw, I'm really not sure which feature I pick to log multiple parameters. I thought there would be a default setting to log the most common features but when I went into data logging, I just see a huge list of different features to log. I did briefly log boost on a 2nd gear pull and saw it said 21... must have been a boost spike?

Anyway, I felt bad running the car on Sport so switched to the drive map and it was still better than stock but the Sport map spoiled me. My goal is to run the Sport map with piece of mind which is where my thought that E85 might help. I don't need full optimization of E85 because I don't want to use it as a substitute for race gas, rather, just to give me a boost in octane to run the regular sport maps...

I ended up putting 4 gallons of E85 in last night and will switch to sport again tonight and see how it feels. Would a 2nd gear log be good enough?
      06-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #5331
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Quote:
I here ya Benzy. My issue is I first tried the Cobb on the Sport map and the car was a BEAST. However, I felt bad running the sport map with my weak CA 91 octane gas. I attempted to log a 3rd gear pull from 2000-redline and it was impossible to do where I live. I don't really have any straight roads and there is traffic all the time (not worth getting pulled over). btw, I'm really not sure which feature I pick to log multiple parameters. I thought there would be a default setting to log the most common features but when I went into data logging, I just see a huge list of different features to log. I did briefly log boost on a 2nd gear pull and saw it said 21... must have been a boost spike?

Anyway, I felt bad running the car on Sport so switched to the drive map and it was still better than stock but the Sport map spoiled me. My goal is to run the Sport map with piece of mind which is where my thought that E85 might help. I don't need full optimization of E85 because I don't want to use it as a substitute for race gas, rather, just to give me a boost in octane to run the regular sport maps...

I ended up putting 4 gallons of E85 in last night and will switch to sport again tonight and see how it feels. Would a 2nd gear log be good enough?
Run 50/50 and try the aggressive map
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #5332
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Break this into 2 separate questions:
Quote:
btw, I'm really not sure which feature I pick to log multiple parameters. I thought there would be a default setting to log the most common features but when I went into data logging, I just see a huge list of different features to log. I did briefly log boost on a 2nd gear pull and saw it said 21... must have been a boost spike?
Here are two links specific to data logging with the COBB AP.
This link specifically details what to data log & how to graph it (also provides a template Excel file so you can just copy & paste your values in):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665232

This is a simple tutorial on how to read graph logs, trouble areas to look for. While it's great that there are plenty of people in the forum to help read your logs, it's nice that you can spot trouble spots & not have to wait for people to respond to your post. **Step 1 details what to Data Log
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472

Quote:
Here's an octane calculator that takes into account E85. Just plug in how many gals of 91 + how many gallons of E85 and you should be able to mix 93.

http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html

**The calculator is assuming that the E85 is of standard value and is equivalent to 105 octane & that the gas you're using already has 10% ethanol. Based on this, a combination of 2 gallons of E85 + 10 gallons of 91 will give you a fuel of about ~93 octane. The 335 gas tank is close to 16 gallons when it's bone dry, so try to do some quick mental math when you go to the pump. There's nothing wrong with doing a 50:50 blend, but since the COBB maps aren't going to take advantage of the higher octane, its a waste IMO to run "98" octane.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #5333
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the helpful reply, much appreciated. I feel pretty confident my car will run safe on the sport map with 91 octane + a few gallons of e85. My 135i tank holds about 13.5 gallons total.

I'm still not sure how to set multiple parameters to logg at the same time. I might have to call Cobb to see how to select the proper function on the Ap.
      06-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #5334
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful reply, much appreciated. I feel pretty confident my car will run safe on the sport map with 91 octane + a few gallons of e85. My 135i tank holds about 13.5 gallons total.

I'm still not sure how to set multiple parameters to logg at the same time. I might have to call Cobb to see how to select the proper function on the Ap.
There is an option to reset to default logging parameters. If you haven't changed anything then it should already be setup
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #5335
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:

where in san diego do you live where you can't find a straight road!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #5336
d3UCE818
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 335is

I live in CA and Cobb suggests to use stg 1 drive mode because of the gas . What are the gains in stage 1 drive? Does anyone run stg 1 sport in CA with only a drop in without any problems?

Does it even make sense to run stage 1 drive on a 335is?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #5337
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3UCE818 View Post
I live in CA and Cobb suggests to use stg 1 drive mode because of the gas . What are the gains in stage 1 drive? Does anyone run stg 1 sport in CA with only a drop in without any problems?

If you have access to 91, you can run Drive or Sport. If you have access to 93, you can run Aggressive. If you feel like mixing in some E85 to bump your octane up, use the mixing calculator & data log.

If your logs look good, run Aggressive
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #5338
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

I ran Stage2+ Sport on CA 91, and got some dynos while I was at COBB SoCal. It was fine, and we even got a little more power out of just 91 octane. That being said, your mileage may vary - you should always log and see where things are at, even if you're running the "recommended" map.
      06-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #5339
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
changed the oil today with tranny comp something ... tranny is smooth again. even when i dropped the thottle at 4k smooth downshift.

happy
Is this common maintenance on 335s? ( I did it long ago on my E34 @ 120k miles and used Redline fluid). Is it still better than BMW fliud? Can you get the dealer to change it under warranty?

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #5340
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Out Of Beta Already!!!!
+2
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #5341
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
I have customers that use both setups. I'm going to my buddies this weekend to uninstall his Cobb for emissions and i will update it on how long it takes from what i remember it was a decent amount of time. Seemed way longer then 1-2 minutes, but maybe that was on older firmware.

I like both units We work closely with Cobb in other markets, just not the BMW yet.
Does anyone know if I have to completely uninstall COBB for emissions and safety checks ir if I change to map 0 - should it be ok?

I know if I go to the dealer for Emission - I probably will have to uninstall - is it covered under the factory warranty?

Last Question - do you have to run the car with Cobb uninstalled (or on stage 0) for a couple of days to pass emisions or can you do it immediately before the inspection?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #5342
d3UCE818
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
If you have access to 91, you can run Drive or Sport. If you have access to 93, you can run Aggressive. If you feel like mixing in some E85 to bump your octane up, use the mixing calculator & data log.

If your logs look good, run Aggressive
Thanks for your replies,

I do have access to 91 but apparently CA 91 sucks compared to other states which is why its not recommended to run sport. I want to be able to get a decent gain in power and keep it safe as possible which is why I thought stage 1 sport would be the best mode for me.

If I do consider buying COBB I will make sure to always run my logs and check the status, I am just trying to see what other people are doing out there.

Does anyone know what gains the stage 1 drive provides?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #5343
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your replies,

I do have access to 91 but apparently CA 91 sucks compared to other states which is why its not recommended to run sport. I want to be able to get a decent gain in power and keep it safe as possible which is why I thought stage 1 sport would be the best mode for me.

If I do consider buying COBB I will make sure to always run my logs and check the status, I am just trying to see what other people are doing out there.

I tried stage 1 drive yesterday and it was better than stock but not anything to run home about. Sport was great through. Being that you have an is model, the drive map is prob too close to your stock maps. Don't get Cobb if your only going to run stage 1 drive imo since you have an is model.
      06-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #5344
d3UCE818
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3
Quote:
Thanks for your replies,

I tried stage 1 drive yesterday and it was better than stock but not anything to run home about. Sport was great through. Being that you have an is model, the drive map is prob too close to your stock maps. Don't get Cobb if your only going to run stage 1 drive imo since you have an is model.
That's exactly what I was thinking . Thanks for clearing that up. I am guessing I would get around 350 tq with drive and the IS pushes 330 regularly and 370 with overboost.

I would like to hear anyone else's input on stg1 sport with CA 91. I am trying to have the least possible risk On my engine/turbos.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #5345
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking . Thanks for clearing that up. I am guessing I would get around 350 tq with drive and the IS pushes 330 regularly and 370 with overboost.

I would like to hear anyone else's input on stg1 sport with CA 91. I am trying to have the least possible risk On my engine/turbos.
Stage 1 Drive def won't be worth it on an 335is/1M, like I said try to mix some E85 in there + start running Sport (or Aggressive if you mix for 93 octane). If you're not going to buy/sell your AP b/c of this, I'd say call/email COBB, explain your situation & see if you can get them to tell you when the E85 maps will be released. I'm thinking it'll be close to running the Aggressive tune since E85 is like running organic race fuel.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #5346
d3UCE818
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Thanks for the help ! I will Send them an email and see what they say.

What are the dangers of e85 ? Do you just mix e85 and 91 in your gas tank 50:50? If there is an informational thread on e85 post a link plz!
Appreciate 0