E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > FStool install and use

06-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
Ledynx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Coupe

Garage List
2008 bmw 328i   [0.00]
FStool install and use

Hello

I'm not that new to the forum, have made contributions​here and there after I retrofitted me E92 with CIC, abd have usually always found what I needed around the forum.
However, I'm trying to update the maps for said retrofit to 2017. In the past, I'd usually just but the FSC code. I believe the time is nigh to begin generating one myself, especially with (I think) all the tools at my disposal.
I've tried using the FCS tools to generate the FCS but because of the VIN conflict, there is an error. The videos I've watched seem straight forward in spite of the conflict but my files always give 0 bytes. The program indicates that it will use the CIC to generate but still gives the error.
I was able to obtain FStool as a workaround but do not have the least idea how to use or even install it.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

1b is from the CIC. Shouldn't matter if it's a retrofit or not. Are you successfully downloading the 1b via ESYS cable through you're browser?
      06-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Sport

You are talking about different things here, even though one enables the other :

1. Fstool is used to load the 1B fsc into the CIC.
2. Use a program like FTPZilla to connect to the CIC and download the generalPersistencyData_DiagnosticSWTController file.
3. Use a program like HxD to edit the file so that it is 319 bytes in size.
4. Use fsc.exe to generate your map code

However, if you're not using an emulator, and the VIN on the CIC does not match your car VIN, all of this won't work.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anees View Post
However, if you're not using an emulator, and the VIN on the CIC does not match your car VIN, all of this won't work.
There are ways around that now: http://www.**************/showthread...l=1#post107552

edit: For whatever reason, bmwcoding.com is censored here
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 06:12 AM   #5
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I know of the other way....I've just used this other way this past weekend to retrofit a CIC into my car with a business nav.

It works perfectly, with the CIC virginised and VIN changed to match the VIN of my car. 17 , 19 and 1B are all activated perfectly

I can't activate 9C yet, but it is either due to me not having the combox / apps in my VO , or the carserver software is not 100% correctly setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
There are ways around that now: http://www.**************/showthread...l=1#post107552

edit: For whatever reason, bmwcoding.com is censored here
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

I had some trouble getting 9C to activate at first. I remember replacing a bunch of files that made it work. I think it was either copying the PRG files or SGDAT files mentioned in the PDF later in that thread (which is basically a collection of "important" posts from the cartechnology.co.uk thread I believe)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
Ledynx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Coupe

Garage List
2008 bmw 328i   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
1b is from the CIC. Shouldn't matter if it's a retrofit or not. Are you successfully downloading the 1b via ESYS cable through you're browser?
I am not using the E-SYS but rather the FSC tools and the K+D-Can for importing and decoding. It reads both VINS and opts to use the CIC donor VIN to create the 1b file, but then ends there with the error.

I must also point out that when I open INPA and try to get the Ediabas info, I get ???????
Could that be an issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

A $5 ESYS cable would probably solve your problems. There should be a thread in the coding forum regarding it.
      06-14-2017, 05:21 AM   #9
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

ESYS cable would only work if his car is LCI. LCI models came out from Sept 2008.
As the OP has retrofitted, I highly doubt that his car is ethernet ready.

SOme basics first...he needs to get EDIABAS working correctly, either via D CAN or ICOM, and then look at the FSTOOL problem

The OP's problem is that he has not virginised his CIC.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, you are correct. I was able to activate 9C by replacing the entire CarServer directory.
Now I need to find a combox to install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
I had some trouble getting 9C to activate at first. I remember replacing a bunch of files that made it work. I think it was either copying the PRG files or SGDAT files mentioned in the PDF later in that thread (which is basically a collection of "important" posts from the cartechnology.co.uk thread I believe)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #11
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91

hi guys,

is there any definite way without patcher v2 as my understanding is that it only works for us/central europe at this to, to generate fsc map code for script activated cic's.

no matter what fsc map update code i try, it wont accept it. lifetime, no lifetime, cic vin, cas vin etc. The code and files are correct.

ive accessed the cic using putty and total commander to script activate without dramas.

i believe the issue with map updates on script activated cic is the cic unit needs to go into "check fsc" mode where it will ignore vin from cas and accept the regular mad code associated to the vin of cic. gini's server crashes/freezes when attemption to "check fsc" mode.

Ive seen the method used for canning wires together but i imagine thigs have moved on since then and understand there is a limitation in the fact that method does not activate 3d and sat images.

anyhow, i have fsc tools and fs tool and no matter what i try, its a no go and the codes which are actually 100% correct, wont be accepted.

Can anyone please share the method, i see its been discussed just no method or straight answers. i wish i could use patcher v2 from the bmw coding forum "lets hack the cic" really great stuff, just not ready for our region.

if anyone wants, fs tool, pm me and il send the link. it seems like each time a link appears somewhere, it quickly dissapers.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 02:30 AM   #12
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91

all good.

i wrote one up for anyone who is interested. im sure it will be usefull

cheers

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399746
Appreciate 1