E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > recommendation for track setup:staggered or square?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
rpms44
Private
0
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambridge, ON

iTrader: (0)

recommendation for track setup:staggered or square?

I am looking for a wheel/tire combo to use for track days.
Should I go with
A. a staggered setup, F 18X8 with 235/40-18 tires
R 18x9 with 255/35-18 tires
or
B. a square setup, F/R 18X8 with 245/40-18 tires
(if they fit) F/R 18X9 with 255/35-18 tires
If you have any track experience with either(or preferably both) of these setups, can you share your recommendations.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
uberschnell
Brigadier General
uberschnell's Avatar
No_Country
449
Rep
3,990
Posts

Drives: Wide Body 1
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (48)

my square set up (245/40-17) reduces understeer compared to my daily set up of 235 front 265 rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Park2670
General
Park2670's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,196
Posts

Drives: I(R)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UTAH

iTrader: (8)

I have four rear wheels and am running 235/40R18s. Great setup IMO. But I am a newbie at the track.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
rpms44
Private
0
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambridge, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
The second setup has different tire diameters. You should *not* do that on the e90. Preserve the factory tire diameter which is 25.0 or 25.1 inches (depending on how you round).

235/40 18" all around is a great setup. Use the same rim diameter too. It will fit on an 8.0 or an 8.5 inch width rim.
The second setup would be the same front and back.
I guess it should be B1 or B2.
ie. B1-245/40-18 F & R on 8" wheelsOR
B2-255/35-18 F & R on 9" wheels.
I am trying to get as much tire as possible, and I am not sure if the front can take a 9" wheel with 40 offset
(I am looking at O-Z Ultrleggera black)
Looks like the square setup is the way most have gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
sambonator
Samtaro!
sambonator's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
2,568
Posts

Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA, USA

iTrader: (6)

Go with 265/35/18's all around. Works great for me!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
rpms44
Private
0
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambridge, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
Sorry, I misread. Go with the 255 for maximum lateral grip if they are dedicated track wheels. You're going to need a lot of negative camber to fit them. You got coilovers? If they're daily driver wheels also, just go with 235. Your gas mileage will be better.
They will be dedicated track wheels/tires. The car is on order and I don't get it until May. That being said, my initial plan didn't include any suspension work. I just want to get a basic setup, and work on the driver before I start fiddling to much with the car. Do you think an e92 will take an 18x9" 40 offset wheel, with 255/35-18 tire on the front?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
rpms44
Private
0
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambridge, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Go with 265/35/18's all around. Works great for me!
Wow! I didn't think 265's would fit. What size wheels are you using? Is it stock suspension? Spacers required??
TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
30
Rep
1,714
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Near some canyons

iTrader: (1)

Do a search on my posts for "victoracer".

I ran 255-40-17 on all four corners.

There is no reason to run 18s unless you have a big brake kit or simply like heavier wheels and tires, lol. Track is about go, not show.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
rpms44
Private
0
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambridge, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Do a search on my posts for "victoracer".

I ran 255-40-17 on all four corners.

There is no reason to run 18s unless you have a big brake kit or simply like heavier wheels and tires, lol. Track is about go, not show.
Already have that thread bookmarked!
I want 18s for exactly that reason (BBK down the road)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
uberschnell
Brigadier General
uberschnell's Avatar
No_Country
449
Rep
3,990
Posts

Drives: Wide Body 1
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post

I ran 255-40-17 on all four corners.
My next set up.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
sambonator
Samtaro!
sambonator's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
2,568
Posts

Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA, USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpms44 View Post
Wow! I didn't think 265's would fit. What size wheels are you using? Is it stock suspension? Spacers required??
TIA
I'm running 18x9 Ultraleggera's all around. Suspension is TEIN coilovers with built-in camber plates. Offset is ET40 all around, and I have to use H&R 15mm spacers up front and run max negative camber to clear the coilovers and the fender. (effective ET25)

The back has Ultraleggera 20mm spacers attached to the wheels (for effective ET20 offset). Anyone know how to get these spacers off of the wheels? I wanted to try running just 10mm spacers in the back but I can't figure out how to take them off...

Anyway, 18x9 ET25 w/265/35/18 all around should work great with camber plates up front.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
rpms44
Private
0
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambridge, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
I'm running 18x9 Ultraleggera's all around. Suspension is TEIN coilovers with built-in camber plates. Offset is ET40 all around, and I have to use H&R 15mm spacers up front and run max negative camber to clear the coilovers and the fender. (effective ET25)

The back has Ultraleggera 20mm spacers attached to the wheels (for effective ET20 offset). Anyone know how to get these spacers off of the wheels? I wanted to try running just 10mm spacers in the back but I can't figure out how to take them off...

Anyway, 18x9 ET25 w/265/35/18 all around should work great with camber plates up front.
Thanks for the info. At least initially, I do not want to touch the suspension, so it looks like the 18x9" won't fit the stock front suspension.
I better stick with the 18x8 and fit a 245/40-18 or a 255/35-18 (if 255 will fit)
How do you like the wheels, any troubles??
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
shimshimhada's Avatar
United_States
188
Rep
4,840
Posts

Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

iTrader: (2)

If you're going to run 245s, run them on at least 8.5s, 8s won't feel as responsive.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #14
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
181
Rep
4,379
Posts

Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Yeah..on this car I would not run 8 inch wide wheels. I wish I could find a decent R compound in a 245/35/18...or maybe a 255/35/18 that would fit my car and my current level of negative camber. I think 18X8.5 rims work well...dont think many 18X9s will work up front.

To the OP...I am on 235/40/18 Pilot Sport Cups...on 18X8.5 non-staggered.
__________________

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #15
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
shimshimhada's Avatar
United_States
188
Rep
4,840
Posts

Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Yeah..on this car I would not run 8 inch wide wheels. I wish I could find a decent R compound in a 245/35/18...or maybe a 255/35/18 that would fit my car and my current level of negative camber. I think 18X8.5 rims work well...dont think many 18X9s will work up front.

To the OP...I am on 235/40/18 Pilot Sport Cups...on 18X8.5 non-staggered.
Have you thought about Toyo R888s in 245/40/18?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #16
sambonator
Samtaro!
sambonator's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
2,568
Posts

Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA, USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpms44 View Post
Thanks for the info. At least initially, I do not want to touch the suspension, so it looks like the 18x9" won't fit the stock front suspension.
I better stick with the 18x8 and fit a 245/40-18 or a 255/35-18 (if 255 will fit)
How do you like the wheels, any troubles??
I think 18x9's will fit the stock suspension setup. I lost inside clearance due to my TEIN coilovers...I can't fit my street wheels on the front without spacers anymore (Velocity Motoring CSL reps 18x8.5 ET40), as the wheel/tire will hit the coilovers. I think I lost almost 10mm's of clearance on the inside thanks to the TEIN.

With the right offset, I really think you can run 265's on 18x9's on the front on stock suspension. 255's are no problem, as stock rear wheels/tires 18x8.5 255/35/18 will fit fine on the front on stock suspension.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #17
rpms44
Private
0
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambridge, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
I think 18x9's will fit the stock suspension setup. I lost inside clearance due to my TEIN coilovers...I can't fit my street wheels on the front without spacers anymore (Velocity Motoring CSL reps 18x8.5 ET40), as the wheel/tire will hit the coilovers. I think I lost almost 10mm's of clearance on the inside thanks to the TEIN.

With the right offset, I really think you can run 265's on 18x9's on the front on stock suspension. 255's are no problem, as stock rear wheels/tires 18x8.5 255/35/18 will fit fine on the front on stock suspension.
That is good to know, thanks! I will look at 8.5s and 9s with 255s.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #18
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
181
Rep
4,379
Posts

Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada View Post
Have you thought about Toyo R888s in 245/40/18?
No..wouldnt they be too tall? I had that bulgy tire look when someone puts the wrong tire on their car. Cant have that..and dont want to rub.
__________________

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #19
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
181
Rep
4,379
Posts

Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Be careful with that..when you get this close..sometimes it doesnt fit...or barely fits...and when you drive the car medium hard to hard..it rubs like a biotch.
__________________

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
30
Rep
1,714
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Near some canyons

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
I think 18x9's will fit the stock suspension setup. I lost inside clearance due to my TEIN coilovers...I can't fit my street wheels on the front without spacers anymore (Velocity Motoring CSL reps 18x8.5 ET40), as the wheel/tire will hit the coilovers. I think I lost almost 10mm's of clearance on the inside thanks to the TEIN.

With the right offset, I really think you can run 265's on 18x9's on the front on stock suspension. 255's are no problem, as stock rear wheels/tires 18x8.5 255/35/18 will fit fine on the front on stock suspension.
Is that loss due to the ride height adjustment collar?

The strut tube itself (on my TCKline) is thinner than stock. Only if you lower the hell out of the car do you experience issues with the ride height collar. On my track setup, I have no rubbing and gained a whole 1mm clearance on the inside. Woohoo.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #21
sambonator
Samtaro!
sambonator's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
2,568
Posts

Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA, USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Is that loss due to the ride height adjustment collar?

The strut tube itself (on my TCKline) is thinner than stock. Only if you lower the hell out of the car do you experience issues with the ride height collar. On my track setup, I have no rubbing and gained a whole 1mm clearance on the inside. Woohoo.
Yes, the collar as well as the springs. At my preferred ride height, the wheel lip will hit the collar and the tire will rub the coil on 18x8.5et40's... and it isn't even that low.

Do the TCKlines come with camber plates?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 08:21 PM   #22
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
30
Rep
1,714
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Near some canyons

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Yes, the collar as well as the springs. At my preferred ride height, the wheel lip will hit the collar and the tire will rub the coil on 18x8.5et40's... and it isn't even that low.

Do the TCKlines come with camber plates?
Nah, you have to buy them separately. $500 I believe.

Regarding the ride height, are you going for optimum performance or compromising on looks?

Lowering a car, all else equal, will often INCREASE roll.

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/We..._transfer2.htm

That's why I minimized my "drop".
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST