E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Successful Rear View camera retrofit by Bimmer Retrofit - review

08-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Franky2ko
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92

Successful Rear View camera retrofit by Bimmer Retrofit - review

I wanted to do this review for quite some time now, but never got to it until now. For a while I wanted to install a rear-view camera in my 2009 E92, because in a coupe it can sometimes be difficult to see what's going on in the back, and I wanted to avoid accidents, dents and scratches as much possible, and the rear-view camera is a great prevention against all that (especially because I let my gf take the car sometimes )

I had a few options to chose from, but decided to go with Bimmer Retrofit (one of the vendors here, www.bimmerretrofit.com). There were a few things that were important to me and Bimmer Retrofit met all that criteria:

1. Complete integration with iDrive - this was an absolute must for me. Although the camera is not OEM, it was important for me that it functions like OEM.

2. Easy installation - I am DIY guy and wanted to do the installation myself.

3. Single supplier - it was important for me to get everything, the camera, activation and coding from one place. I want to always deal with the same supplier for everything, especially when it comes to expensive things, like BMW. Only then you can achieve accountability.

4. What really won me over is fantastic customer service and quick delivery!

5. A nice bonus: programmable activation module. I am thinking of getting a 4-door and being able to keep the retrofit without any additional activation modules is definitely a PLUS.

Now about the installation itself:

Installation took me about 2.5 hrs. The key to a successful installation is deciding on two things:

1. Start from the back and work your way to the front or the other way around;

2. Pass the wires on the left side or the right side of the vehicle.

1. I found it easier to start at the front and work my way to the back. I can't really explain why I chose this option, but it was my gut feeling. So what I did is I started by remove all the plastic trim around the CIC, so I can plug in the PNP activation module.

The easiest way to install the PNP module is behind and to the right of the CIC. There is a fairly large gap and PNP modules fits right in.

2. Once the PNP cable is in, you should secure the wires using tie wraps, to make sure everything is solid and will not move during driving.

3. Once the PNP module is in, you should decide whether to pass the wiring along the left or right rocker panel. The wire supplied by Bimmer Retrofit is long enough to go either way, but my personal preference was to go on the left side. Why? I found it much easier to remove the plastic trim below the steering wheel, rather than remove plastic trim around the glovebox compartment and pass the wires through the glovebox.

4. Once the plastic trim below the steering wheel is removed, you can easily pass the cable below the steering wheel and all the way to the side to the rocker panel. I do not have any pictures of this because it was dark and the camera couldn't focus.

5. Once you get the cable to the rocker panel, you need to apply gentle pressure on the plastic trim that covers the rocker panel to remove the plastic trim. The plastic trim stays in place using plastic clips, and these clips will most likely stay in the rocker panel, once you remove the trim. You will need to remove them and place them back in the plastic trim, as shown in the picture.

6. You will then need to tuck in the wire, so that the plastic trim can safely be reinstalled.

7. You will then need to fold down the rear seats and to remove the "corner seat" (not sure what the proper name for this part is), but please refer to the pic below.

8. Once this is done you need to tuck in the wire between the seat and the side of the vehicle, to get to the corner. (I've got a two-door).

9. Then, you need to tuck in the wire behind the rear seat and get to the opposite side of the vehicle.

10. Then you just need to pass the wire to right side of the trunk. I did this behind the decorative lining on the right side of the vehicle.

11. The blue wires need to go to the back-up light. You need to connect the wires to the backup light. This is easily done using a “splicer”, supplied by Bimmer Retrofit.

12. The thicker black cable needs to go to the trunk handle. I passed it through the rubber “tunnel”.

13. And this is almost it. Just remove the existing handle, and insert the one with the camera built in. Bimmer Retrofit has a good instruction for this part. Now just connect the cables and that’s all.

The next step is to book an appointment with Bimmer Retrofit for coding of the rear-view camera. I did my coding session with Chris. He is extremely knowledgeable and fast. He finished the coding in less than 30 minutes and everything worked like magic.

Highly recommend this retrofit and I hope my mini-DIY will help you in the installation process.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Great information here. I am considering the same kit for my car, hope to buy it from them in the coming months.
      09-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
j23a45m
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 X5

Garage List
looks great
2011 BSM 335i E90 MTECH 6MT • JB4 stage 2 iso 5.3 FF wire• BMS Intake • Vishnu DP • Cyba Scoops • LUX V4 • 6000K Headlight/Fog light Philips Ultinon • Euro headlight switch • ACS roof wing • 35% tint • Performance Grilles • Misc coding • Cobb charge pipe • ///M3 fenders • 335is pedals • BC Coilovers • Vrsf 7" IC • ///M3 mirrors •
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
compdr59
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i xDrive Convertible

Thanks for the post. I installed mine over the weekend. I went to the right but I couldn't remove the glovebox. The wire going to the trunk couldn't fit through the rubber tunnel. The enclosed instructions were not as good as yours. The one I purchased is self coding and doesn't require a connection to the backup lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Nice post. Pics of the screen in action?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Franky2ko
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Nice post. Pics of the screen in action?
Ok sure. I'll try to get it done soon and will post a video here.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
Raubtier
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
Thanks for the post. I installed mine over the weekend. I went to the right but I couldn't remove the glovebox. The wire going to the trunk couldn't fit through the rubber tunnel. The enclosed instructions were not as good as yours. The one I purchased is self coding and doesn't require a connection to the backup lights.
Compdr59, did you have to do any software updates to your iDrive before the installation or it was just plug n play?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
compdr59
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raubtier View Post
Compdr59, did you have to do any software updates to your iDrive before the installation or it was just plug n play?
It's just plug and play. It's self coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
compdr59
Private
Rep

I recommend not to purchase from Bimmer Retrofit. The camera works great, but their customer service is awful. The seal around the camera shifted while washing my car. I couldn't get it to stay in place, so I sealed it with silicon. Now they say I modified the camera portion and voided the warranty. They won't send me a $5 gasket to remedy the problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:13 AM   #10
kelmk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible

The replacement trunk latch is definitely not oem quality but I was able to get it fitted eventually. I actually had to revalue the switch which came off. The coding also didn't work and I'm currently awaiting bimmerretrofit to send me a fix.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
I recommend not to purchase from Bimmer Retrofit. The camera works great, but their customer service is awful. The seal around the camera shifted while washing my car. I couldn't get it to stay in place, so I sealed it with silicon. Now they say I modified the camera portion and voided the warranty. They won't send me a $5 gasket to remedy the problem.
We stand behind our products and are prepared to repair/exchange products under warranty, if the product is defective, however product must be returned to us in the original condition, and we must be advised of the issue ASAP. If the customer damages the product in any way, we are not able to replace/repair products under warranty.

If there is an issue with the product, the customer must advise us ASAP, without attempting to repair the product on his own. If the customer damages the product, we are not able to replace the product for free.

If the product is damaged, the manufacturer (of the trunk handle with camera built in) will not accept the product under warranty, and we will need to pay for the replacement camera out of our own pocket. Expenses like this are not factored into the final price, since we expect that customers actually read and follow Terms and Conditions before purchasing.

Warranty terms are there for a reason, and it is the responsibility of the customer to follow those terms and to contact Bimmer Retrofit as soon as there is any issue with the product.

In this case though, it looks like the trunk handle was just not properly installed - the silicon cover is a removable part of the trunk handle and can easily be adjusted. But, again, we have no way of knowing whether the product was defective or not properly installed, since the customer never shipped the camera back to us for inspection.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
compdr59
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwretrofit View Post
We stand behind our products and are prepared to repair/exchange products under warranty, if the product is defective, however product must be returned to us in the original condition, and we must be advised of the issue ASAP. If the customer damages the product in any way, we are not able to replace/repair products under warranty.

If there is an issue with the product, the customer must advise us ASAP, without attempting to repair the product on his own. If the customer damages the product, we are not able to replace the product for free.

If the product is damaged, the manufacturer (of the trunk handle with camera built in) will not accept the product under warranty, and we will need to pay for the replacement camera out of our own pocket. Expenses like this are not factored into the final price, since went expect that customers actually read and follow Terms and Conditions before purchasing.

Warranty terms are there for a reason, and it is the responsibility of the customer to follow those terms and to contact Bimmer Retrofit as soon as there is any issue with the product.

In this case though, it looks like the trunk handle was just not properly installed - the silicon cover is a removable part of the trunk handle and can easily be adjusted. But, again, we have no way of knowing whether the product was defective or not properly installed, since the customer never shipped the camera back to us for inspection.
A true customer service department would go out of their way to remedy a problem. The camera works fine, but the silicone seal doesn't fit snugly around the handle. All that's needed would be the ability to purchase the silicone cover. Please ask your supplier to offer one for sale without the purchase of a complete camera assembly.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #13
EZ3Putt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Cab.

Car goes away for the winter in a week or so, but, this is going to be my 1st spring project. My truck came with a rear camera, never thought it was useful till having one in a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
Itec
Rep

I have the same camera installed last year!
Very good quality! My friend did installation for me
Appreciate 0