E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Dealer is now doing carbon cleaning.

04-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #221
yafool
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Give John at EMW a call. He does all my indy work and i trust him with all my BMWs. He has all the equipment to do walnut blasting. The last time I spoke with him a couple weeks ago, he just needs to get the adapter for our car (difference between diesel and gas motors) Ill be taking mine to him in another 15k to get cleaned as well.

626.4Four5.6six0zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
Are there any shops you guys would recommend in California?
I am willing to travel within the state.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #222
NWCT335d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
I see a trip across the country in the near future... if my car can make it in one piece.
dixy2k.... I see that you have nearly 60k miles. Do you have a CPO warranty or are you out of warranty coverage right now? Given the code that you threw (4596) is one listed in the SIB and the fact that the found the intake runner CBU, this falls under the SIB. If under CPO, the SIB states that it is covered. If not then you are probably out of luck without a fight. I believe that the emissions warranty only covers problematic emissions equipment (EGR, DPF, Urea tanks, etc), not other issues that could have been caused from these (such as CBU from the EGR).

I still think that $5000 is robbery for that work. There is no way there is that much labor involved. I believe that the SIB even states a number of hours for the job. I just checked and it is 32 FRU. An FRU is a fraction of an hour (10 minutes or so I think), so other than sending the intake manifold out for cleaning, the CBU blasting on the intake ports of the head should only be a 4 to 5 hour job (unless I am reading it wrong).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #223
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

I don't have a CPO warranty or any other warranty, just the emissions warranty 7yr/70k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #224
duramax
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Guys, what is the latest here. It is starting to worry me the root cause not being addressed at all by BMW. I cannot keep this car if BMW is not willing to cover this design issue after the warranty expires. I have never purchased an extended warranty and some are saying that dealer are not covering this procedure with an extended warranty. IMO, they need to recall and fix the problem or warranty to 200K or something. This crap about normal behavior on a diesel is not right, I have owned 5 diesels and never heard of this broad problem. This is my first BMW and may be the last if they don't stand behind their products. I don't doubt this is why this engine is no longer being offered in 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #225
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax View Post
Guys, what is the latest here. It is starting to worry me the root cause not being addressed at all by BMW. I cannot keep this car if BMW is not willing to cover this design issue after the warranty expires. I have never purchased an extended warranty and some are saying that dealer are not covering this procedure with an extended warranty. IMO, they need to recall and fix the problem or warranty to 200K or something. This crap about normal behavior on a diesel is not right, I have owned 5 diesels and never heard of this broad problem. This is my first BMW and may be the last if they don't stand behind their products. I don't doubt this is why this engine is no longer being offered in 3 series.
Agreed, could not have said it better...
      05-26-2014, 01:35 AM   #226
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
It is starting to worry me the root cause not being addressed at all by BMW.
They already addressed it, see the other threads.

DIRECT INJECTION in gasoline or Diesel engines will have carbon build up.

I don't think it's a design flaw by BMW, rather a problem due to the strict emissions standard.

Luckily solutions are finally available for the 335d: EGR block or reduction with a tune, catch can, etc. to prevent or reduce the rate of carbon/soot build up.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #227
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
Agreed, BMW need to built a reliable car that can past 100K miles with just regular maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #228
Jffeijao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This engine is among BMW's best sellers and has been multiple times on the top 10 engines of the year list. It has been in production since 1998 with no major issues. On its new generation, three configurations are offered on 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 series, (sedan, touring and X versions) ranging from 255 to 381hp and torques from 560 to 740Nm. So rest assured the issue with a handful of cars in US is not a scratch on its reputation.
Specifically in US, due to low fuel quality, low driving speeds and high emission restrictions on NOx, the system calibration had to be put in a unique condition where carbon build up rate was higher than usual. The number of market incidents indicated the issue was serious enough to trigger a service campaign on it. BMW Also developed a specific maintenance procedure, like many other OEMs regularly do when a problem becomes cronic. Believe me, statistic tools are used to define this threshold.
I understand it may be annoying to drive what is understood to be a timing bomb, but tell me which car (or any machine) is not? Nothing lasts forever.
Each of us has a personal perspective and at certain level of disconfort will jump out of the boat.
On my case I am happy with the car, having loads of fun and only when something happens will rationalize to fix it or buy another toy. I decided not to lose my time worrying about something yet to happen (if ever). For the ones that can't, just sell it and go somewhere else.

Owning German cars is like having a supermodel girfriend: very expensive, their maintenance is even more expensive and reliability is never their shining side.

You keep them to have fun and show off!!
2012 Grand Cherokee (sold!)
2003 MB SLK stick (garage queen)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #229
duramax
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Anyone try this or is it a scam?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLARD-BMW...item27e3984795
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #230
Roman-dude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jffeijao View Post
This engine is among BMW's best sellers and has been multiple times on the top 10 engines of the year list. It has been in production since 1998 with no major issues. On its new generation, three configurations are offered on 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 series, (sedan, touring and X versions) ranging from 255 to 381hp and torques from 560 to 740Nm. So rest assured the issue with a handful of cars in US is not a scratch on its reputation.
Specifically in US, due to low fuel quality, low driving speeds and high emission restrictions on NOx, the system calibration had to be put in a unique condition where carbon build up rate was higher than usual. The number of market incidents indicated the issue was serious enough to trigger a service campaign on it. BMW Also developed a specific maintenance procedure, like many other OEMs regularly do when a problem becomes cronic. Believe me, statistic tools are used to define this threshold.
I understand it may be annoying to drive what is understood to be a timing bomb, but tell me which car (or any machine) is not? Nothing lasts forever.
Each of us has a personal perspective and at certain level of disconfort will jump out of the boat.
On my case I am happy with the car, having loads of fun and only when something happens will rationalize to fix it or buy another toy. I decided not to lose my time worrying about something yet to happen (if ever). For the ones that can't, just sell it and go somewhere else.

Owning German cars is like having a supermodel girfriend: very expensive, their maintenance is even more expensive and reliability is never their shining side.

You keep them to have fun and show off!!
well said. and to boot - there's not much one can swap 335d for anyway that would provide the same excitement..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #231
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman-dude View Post
well said. and to boot - there's not much one can swap 335d for anyway that would provide the same excitement..
AGREED 100%. This past Saturday I participated in a nearby autocross with the D. I have only one small under hood mod, nothing else.

I finished the day with one of the top 3 times. Other formidable vehicles in the event, e92 M3, e46 M3, e36 M3, track prepped and stripped dodge neon (top time), Porsche Panamera 4, Mini Cooper S, M Roadster, etc. The 335d always seems to impress and it was hella fun to drive handling better than I would have expected for a heavy sedan.
      05-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #232
Roman-dude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
AGREED 100%. This past Saturday I participated in a nearby autocross with the D. I have only one small under hood mod, nothing else.

I finished the day with one of the top 3 times. Other formidable vehicles in the event, e92 M3, e46 M3, e36 M3, track prepped and stripped dodge neon (top time), Porsche Panamera 4, Mini Cooper S, M Roadster, etc. The 335d always seems to impress and it was hella fun to drive handling better than I would have expected for a heavy sedan.
Making us proud!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #233
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Definitely low end torque is a huge advantage in auto cross.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #234
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Sounds like TQ and bad ass driving skills to bring home a top 3 finish, I LOVE IT...