E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need New Rotors and Brake Pads

03-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
h2oskier
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucosta View Post
Greetings,

I took my car to a BMW dealer and they told me i need to replace both the rotors and brake pads. Rotors and Brake Pads from the dealer are too expensive: around $800 for the front and $600 for the back.

I have heard that a solution to this would be to go aftermarket. If that's the case, can anyone sugest a good brand and model for both Brake Pads and Rotors?

Thanks

PS: I own a 2007 e92 BMW 335i.
I am in the middle of putting on some ECS cross drilled / slotted rotors on my 2007 E93. I have my stock rotors and pads for sale if your interested. I have a 2007 E93 with 24k miles. I am over in Pleasanton and you can come over anytime to see them.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #24
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
These ones look to be a huge step up from the other ones:

Link

Link
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #25
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Indeed they are. And can be had for a song (relatively) from amazon.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #26
ucosta
Unique
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Do you track? Street only? Ambient temps where you live? Winter performance considerations? Do you care about noise or dust, or do you want outright thermal stability and friction at all costs?
I dont go to the track. Just used to go drift or drag race. I live in South Louisiana and the weather here is pretty humid. It rains often here. I don't like noise, neither dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI View Post
Read my sig, I already posted up sites on where to get the parts and save a ton of money.

The car has a lot of braking power and stops great in all conditions. Not only does it look good, it performs without any noise or excessive dust. I can enjoy the powerful setup daily, while also having the stopping power that I need for the weekend 1/4 mile runs

Research prices and reviews, I really do not think you will find a cheaper and more quality pad than the AXXIS Ults. I also stand behind DBA4000 rotors. It's either that or PowerSlot which I am told is now owned by StopTech.
Thanks a lot for the great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
R1 Concepts hands down! Just picked this up last week.

Am looking into that right now man!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
I have used Stoptech rotors and Akebono ceramic and have been very satisfied. Around $700 in parts and 4 hours of my time.
Thanks for the info man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
As you can see, brakes are like hot women- everybody has an opinion and no one is really wrong.

Most important thing is to understand how your pad selection matches up with your needs. If you are a track day junkie your pad needs are going to be very very different than the person who just wants a long lasting setup for commuting, and doesn't squeal at all. In fact, so-called "aggressive street" driving can have so many meanings it's a laughable nomenclature.

Here's what it comes down to:
1) Are you ok with squeal, and if so, how much?
2) Are you ok with dust, and if so, how much?
3) Do you race?
4) Do you need immediate, full-friction in near-freezing temps?

The answers to these questions really affect what you should look at in terms of a "street" or "aggressive/track" pad.

As for rotors, just buy a trusted name brand and you will be fine. The ones mentioned on this thread already are all acceptable.

And make sure to replace the fluid with something decent, like ATE, Motul 5.1 if you street or RBF600 if you track.
Nice line about brakes being like women
I decided to leave the drifting + drag lifestyle. Only going to be a normal and simple driver around the streets, so i want great breaking power and not squeal at all. I also don't want dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskier View Post
I am in the middle of putting on some ECS cross drilled / slotted rotors on my 2007 E93. I have my stock rotors and pads for sale if your interested. I have a 2007 E93 with 24k miles. I am over in Pleasanton and you can come over anytime to see them.
I appreciate man, but am really looking for a new set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
These ones look to be a huge step up from the other ones:

Link

Link
Indeed. I just want something simple, nice, work great and saves money. Thanks though.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
rdub315
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
What did you end up going with? I just ordered the R1 Premium blanks and StopTech Street Performance pads for the front. I'm coming from Zimmerman rotors and Cool Carbon pads. We shall see...
- VTT Stage 2 turbos, VTT inlets, Cobb Pro Tune (E30 and 93 octane tunes), MFactory LSD, 335is clutch, CSF radiator, slim fans, Walbro 255, AE exhaust, AA downpipes, ETS FMIC, Vishnu DCI, ETS charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS OCC
- H&R Touring Cup Kit, Apex Arc8, M3 style front bumper, MTech style rear bumper and diffuser
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #28
ucosta
Unique
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub View Post
What did you end up going with? I just ordered the R1 Premium blanks and StopTech Street Performance pads for the front. I'm coming from Zimmerman rotors and Cool Carbon pads. We shall see...
I'm going to order on thursday the R1 Concepts slotted brake rotors for front and back, with StopTech Street Performance pads, brake sensors and brake lines.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #29
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Are there any vendor sites who sell a full brake kit with the rotors, pads, and lines?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #30
WickedB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Pad recommendation? Soo many choices...Looking for great initial bite and stopping power but non-track pads, dust a lesser concern... thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #31
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

do lines need to be replaced? also the sensors you get oem correct?

I am the same problem, i want no squeal at all and do not drift or track just typical drag racing. I would want least dust as well. What setup should i go with ? the oem full kit with sensors is about 790 total from ticher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucosta View Post
I'm going to order on thursday the R1 Concepts slotted brake rotors for front and back, with StopTech Street Performance pads, brake sensors and brake lines.
      05-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #32
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-K...26f7ab&vxp=mtr

I have had these on for the past 20k with zero issues, zero rust, almost no brake dust and great braking performance.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust

Last edited by Chefcg1; 05-08-2013 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #33
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefcg1 View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-K...26f7ab&vxp=mtr

I have had these on for the past 20k with zero issues, zero rust, almost no brake dust and great braking performance.
Totally different car but I had 2 sets of these Brakemotives on my Infiniti G35S and both warped within 15k miles. I tried one set and had the warping problem...I called them and they sold me a new set of fronts for half price so I tried them again and they warped again. Switched the fronts to R1 Concepts before I sold the car. Rears on the other hand performed fine. YMMV...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #34
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
Totally different car but I had 2 sets of these Brakemotives on my Infiniti G35S and both warped within 15k miles. I tried one set and had the warping problem...I called them and they sold me a new set of fronts for half price so I tried them again and they warped again. Switched the fronts to R1 Concepts before I sold the car. Rears on the other hand performed fine. YMMV...
guess I have been lucky since they have been great for me.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0