E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Need BavTech (or other ODB tool) near Towson:

10-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
citg0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3DIRTY5

Need BavTech (or other ODB tool) near Towson:

Car is out of commission. I replaced the battery, but now it's giving me the steering wheel lock (red) icon and the engine won't even crank. Evidently, the fix for this is to clear the steering wheel lock error and register the battery.

Looking for someone with the tool that knows what they're doing and is capable of clearing it. If not, I'm sure someone with the tool and Google to guide us will suffice. Since I'm not able to bring the car to you, I'm more than willing to compensate you for your time and gas money.

I've been biking to work (Hunt Valley) all week, and it's kicking my ass. I'd like to get back out on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
citg0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

07 335 e90, fwiw.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
citg0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Bump.

Have money and beer. Help me out, please.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
utfenix335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i; 2015 X5 50i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Send me your info. I'll try to get my buddy to help you out.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
citg0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Nothing but problems here...

Here's a run-down:

Woke up for work a week ago, walked out to car, unlock, fob in, start button... no crank.

Dash lights up, but no crank. Tried almost every nuance of shit I've read on forums for getting it started -- lock car, walk away, let ecu power off, unlock car using physical key, fob in, nothing... pressing down on the brakes like my life depended on it while starting, nothing... jumpstart, nothing...

Checked my battery with a voltmeter. It was putting out 5.8v... aka pretty sufficiently dead. The viewport on the batter was yellow (replace). Got a new one for relatively cheap (H8 battery), put it in, voltmetered it, 12.something (so brand new and fine).

The lights/locks/all electronic shit (seats, windows, etc) that weren't working before are now working, but the car still will not start. No cranking, no sound at all when I plug in the fob and brake/press start button.

Went out last night to install some cosmetic stuff, and the car wouldn't unlock. Unlocked the trunk with the physical key, grabbed my voltmeter and the new battery is showing between 4.8 and 5v.

What the fuck is the problem? Anyone have any idea? Is it just a lemon battery? Or is there something more large-scale at fault for my batteries losing power so suddenly? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. From my [basic] knowledge of car electronics, this sounds like the alternator. Anyone have any input?

Haven't tried jumping it with the new battery, but no -- after waiting for 30 minutes with cables from my girlfriend's car to mine, it would not jump. I am modded with jb4, but haven't had a chance to check it yet. If that was the problem, would my battery be dying so quickly? I feel like if it was merely the jb4 not connected properly, the battery would still maintain its voltage, but the car would just not be able to start. Am I wrong in that assumption?

No, I did not register the battery after installing, as I don't have an OBD port. It also has not been driven since the morning I went out and it wouldn't start initially (while my old battery was still installed).

---

I will contact you tomorrow afternoon, fenix. My uncle may have an odb port tool I can use... will know by then. Thanks!
Appreciate 0