BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

03-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #89
pws
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 m3 coupe

Pad Removal?

I am sorry if I missed this elsewhere in the thread, but do you have to remove the caliper to change pads? thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #90
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Can't confirm, but it looks like you just remove the two retainer bolts in the middle and out they go from the top.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #91
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pws View Post
I am sorry if I missed this elsewhere in the thread, but do you have to remove the caliper to change pads? thanks
No
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #92
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
Can't confirm, but it looks like you just remove the two retainer bolts in the middle and out they go from the top.
This is correct...you remove the two bolts with a hex head wrench...drop in the pads...no need to remove calipers! I find it much easier than punching out the retention pins on some other calipers, and there's much less cursing and bashing involved than there is when replacing the long, curved removable bridge on certain other calipers I've dealt with in the past.

Thanks for the orders guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #93
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Just to clarify, are the rear calipers available now? Could not find them on the website.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #94
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Just to clarify, are the rear calipers available now? Could not find them on the website.
Front kits are starting to ship out today.

The rear kits will be ready to ship around the end of this month. I will put the link up on our website as we get closer to their release date. If you want to see details in the meantime, if you look at our rear kit for Corvettes, it's essentially the same kit. If you plan on buying our kit, there is no issue with running the front-only setup as a stand-alone, or until the rears are ready. Our front kit very closely mimics the OEM brake torque output on the front axle. It will integrate seamlessly with the OEM rear brakes or our rear kit...either way works great.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #95
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

And...we're off...coming to a racetrack near you!

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #96
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Read the entire article, it seems like an amazing product. Very good read as well, learned a handful of things.

I really enjoyed the comparison to the ST brakes too, I think it gives people a better understanding of how good a BBK is let alone yours. I know this might be asking for much, but if you have the time, maybe you could do a comparison vs the Brembo GT 365/345 kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #97
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hi Guys,
Here's our front Competition kit in action a few weeks ago at Inde Motorsports Park in Arizona. This was an SCCA Majors race, and the car is a C5 Z06 Corvette in the GT2 class. The brake package on that car is essentially the same as our front E92 M3 kit (same caliper with a different piston size, and the same disc). The customer finished third in GT2. Skip to the tail end to see him reel in a 911. He even bumps the Porsche for a little drama...oops.

I tried to embed this, but couldn't get it to work. Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLw7...w&noredirect=1

Last edited by jritt@essex; 03-07-2014 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #98
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
And...we're off...coming to a racetrack near you!

Looks good! Any shots of the BBK on a car with ZCP/359M wheels?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #99
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks good! Any shots of the BBK on a car with ZCP/359M wheels?
Sorry...no pics of those wheels. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #100
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry...no pics of those wheels. Thanks.
I think you might soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #101
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON View Post
Read the entire article, it seems like an amazing product. Very good read as well, learned a handful of things.

I really enjoyed the comparison to the ST brakes too, I think it gives people a better understanding of how good a BBK is let alone yours. I know this might be asking for much, but if you have the time, maybe you could do a comparison vs the Brembo GT 365/345 kit.
Thank you very much...glad you enjoyed the read! Sorry for the delayed response. I wasn't ignoring your question...just been out of the country traveling for a couple of weeks!

Most of the core comparisons I made to the ST kit also apply to the Brembo GT kits. The ST and Brembo GT kits have painted calipers, aluminum pistons, dust boots, no anti-knockback springs, lower vane count discs, etc. Whereas our kit was specifically designed for the racetrack, they're both street kits that can handle some racetrack use, but with compromises!

I'm looking more closely at a Brembo Mono 6 sitting on my desk right now, and I'll post up some detailed comparisons shortly. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #102
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you very much...glad you enjoyed the read! Sorry for the delayed response. I wasn't ignoring your question...just been out of the country traveling for a couple of weeks!

Most of the core comparisons I made to the ST kit also apply to the Brembo GT kits. The ST and Brembo GT kits have painted calipers, aluminum pistons, dust boots, no anti-knockback springs, lower vane count discs, etc. Whereas our kit was specifically designed for the racetrack, they're both street kits that can handle some racetrack use, but with compromises!

I'm looking more closely at a Brembo Mono 6 sitting on my desk right now, and I'll post up some detailed comparisons shortly. Thanks.
No worries at all, thanks for responding. Looking forward to a more detailed comparison.

Your kit still works very well on the street right?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #103
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

I put a caliper comparison up on our blog. The Brembo Mono 6 is a great product. It has been used successfully in a million different brake kits, and has a lot of satisfied customers. That said, it was designed with different goals in mind vs. AP Racing's CP5060. Or, a better way to put it might be that the Mono 6 had additional design requirements that a racing caliper would not have (painted finish, to be used on a wider range of applications including trucks, winter road use, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #104
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

As for a comparison vs. the Brembo discs being used in the GT systems...to my knowledge they are straight-slot, 48 vane discs with a zinc coating. We are using J Hook, 72 vane (front) and 60 vane (rear) discs in our system. I don't believe there is anything on the market that holds up as well to heavy track use as AP's heavy duty racing discs. In professional racing, it's not uncommon to see teams that are being paid to run other manufacturers' calipers running AP Racing discs 'on the down low.' They do so for a reason.

The mounting system/float mechanism is basically the same between the Brembo and AP discs.

The hats and brackets in both systems are of comparable quality, but I believe our Spiegler SS brake lines are higher quality.

I think that sums it up...oh, and the Brembo's cost more on both the initial purchase and for spare discs.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #105
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think I know the answer, but would there be any additional benefit to running titanium shims between the pads and pistons, or is it rendered moot by the SS pistons and their design?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #106
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think I know the answer, but would there be any additional benefit to running titanium shims between the pads and pistons, or is it rendered moot by the SS pistons and their design?
I wouldn't bother with the shims. The SS pistons do an excellent job on their own. The shims can be a pain in the arse too. Sometimes brake pads barely slide into calipers, and the shims just compound that problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #107
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

I am very temped to get this kit when the rears are available. I have a question on the rotor sizes and you alluded to this, but these rotors have lower thermal mass vs other BBKs. I know your kit can handle the heat properly has awesome stopping power, but I am concerned that the heat generated may have an adverse impact on suspension components vs running a BBK with larger rotors/greater thermal mass (or stock brakes but with better pads). I wouldn't want to increase the ambient heat to the suspension. Have you guys done any testing on the actual rotor temps, particularly with a heavy car such as the M3? Thx in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #108
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
I am very temped to get this kit when the rears are available. I have a question on the rotor sizes and you alluded to this, but these rotors have lower thermal mass vs other BBKs. I know your kit can handle the heat properly has awesome stopping power, but I am concerned that the heat generated may have an adverse impact on suspension components vs running a BBK with larger rotors/greater thermal mass (or stock brakes but with better pads). I wouldn't want to increase the ambient heat to the suspension. Have you guys done any testing on the actual rotor temps, particularly with a heavy car such as the M3? Thx in advance.
Hi,
The rear components should be in late this week, so we expect to start shipping the rear kits out next week.

I mentioned it early in this thread, but the efficiency of the discs in our system is far superior to other options. I would certainly stack our AP Racing 72 vane endurance racing disc up against a larger 48 vane disc from a competitor (which is all that they offer to my knowledge). The vane design, number of vanes, wall thickness, etc. all contribute to how cool a disc will run.

I don't have any specific M3 data, but I will tell you that the AP Racing discs consistently run considerably cooler than the competition. We have millions of miles in professional racing to back up our claims about durability and longevity. I'll use NASCAR Sprint Cup as an example. This past weekend Cup cars with AP Racing brakes finished in positions 1-5 and 7-12...more or less a clean sweep. These cars are roughly 3400 lbs. with 900hp...that's about as heavy as the average e92 M3 Coupe being tracked, with about double the horsepower. Most people don't know it, but Sprint Cup cars are tougher on brakes than just about anything (and I do mean anything)! Even if you're not a NASCAR fan (which I'm not...I prefer F1), you have to respect what these cars can do. On the typical Sprint Cup intermediate brake setup, the brake discs would be our AP Racing 70 vane 325x34mm J Hook discs. Again, that is a big, heavy, 200mph car stabbing on the brakes constantly all day long. These cars are pouring far and away more kinetic energy into their brakes than anyone in a production M3 would be able to muster, and the discs are 20mm smaller in diameter than the discs in our M3 kit. You don't need huge diameter discs...you need thoughtfully designed discs, made from the finest materials, which is what AP offers.

Here's some in-car footage from the Action Express Daytona Prototype that won the 2012 championship on the exact same discs as the ones in our kit. Think about the speeds from which they are braking, and how much energy they're pouring into the brakes. Action Express at Sebring
Obviously this car is considerably lighter, but as discussed earlier in the post, speed is of greater significance vs. weight when looking at brake requirements.

Even closer to home, we started shipping our Corvette six piston kits in January and now have about thirty or forty C5, C6, and C7 Corvettes running our kits on tracks all over the country. These kits have the same caliper and disc as our M3 kit. The majority of these cars make 500+ horsepower, weigh 3100-3300 lbs., and run at least 305 slicks at all four corners. They're slightly lighter, but typically have more power and more mechanical grip than an M3. I haven't had a single customer crack a disc and buy a replacement yet, and some are running every weekend! We have literally hundreds of 500hp vettes running our smaller vette kit which features what many consider a 'small' 325x32mm 70 vane discs. People beat the heck out of those discs and the spares purchase frequency is extraordinarily low.

Bottom line: You should have absolutely no concerns about what the discs in our kit can take. They will take whatever you can dish out, and will hold up better than anything from the competition. AP makes the most stout racing discs in the business, period. Even though the footprint of our discs may be slightly smaller, they're more efficient, run cooler, and last longer than larger, less efficient offerings from competitors. That means less wear and tear on surrounding components, less heat being poured into the pads and calipers, etc. As an added bonus, you'll save a huge amount of unsprung weight vs. other offerings, have better wheel fitment, etc.

I'll also note...in addition to the countless miles of professional racing experience we have to assess, we also have a custom-built brake dyno in our facility. We are constantly running pad and disc tests, and can simulate full race conditions without leaving the control room. You can see our dyno here.

You have to understand that our brake kits for the M3 are just one very small portion of what Essex does. We have some of the most experienced, finest staff in the industry, and we've been around for 30 years. Our biggest customers are the most successful teams in professional racing, employ hundreds of staff, and have multimillion dollar budgets. They trust Essex to provide recommendations and brake solutions. I know that every once in a while a company pops up on the forum offering the 'hot new thing.' Then it comes out that the owner of that business is actually an escaped con, pet-rapist, running a ponzi scheme. That's not us. AP Racing arguably produces the finest brakes on the planet, and our collaboration with them is a potent combination that means something a bit unique for our customers.

Last edited by jritt@essex; 03-31-2014 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #109
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Thx and really appreciate this as well as the other thoughtful responses. Once the rears come out, I'll contact you.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #110
DB
M3/Raptor
United_States
Rep
Drives: to the track

Brakes are likely the next substantive upgrade to my e90m3 and these currently seem like the best way to go. But, as of right now the car is a DD and based on some of the comparisons to the other kits with painted calipers, it sounds like the AP set may not be best if the car will see some winter (potentially salty) roads? I'm not putting a lot of winter miles on the car, but the car must be drivable during the winter without ruining the new brakes. Will freequent cleaning save the brakes in those conditions?
Appreciate 0