E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Limp Mode for the first time today

06-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #45
Vinobien
The 3 Day Diet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92, 88 911 Cab

Garage List
Limp mode has occurred exactly 5 times in the past month since I have installed v1.45. I had v1.2 installed previously since February and did not have one problem. Seems to be something triggered by the v1.45 map.

I hope the problem is corrected in the v2.0 upgrade.

Although limp mode for the v2.0 will still smoke most other cars on the road.

1988 Porsche 911 Cab, 47k, SW chip, cat pipe, M&K exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #46
3X5PSI
Private
Rep
Drives: Boost'd 6's

I have also had this. Not very often, probably 4 times in 1 month. Once it happened twice on the same day.

It is not a boost target issue. All 4 times it happened when you off boost. Mostly when you come off the throttle. Not immediately, but like a second or so after you come off the throttle immediately after a period of sustained boost.

Shiv, I have checked for faults with the card reader & with an OBD-II fault reader & it shows nothing. I did happen to be logging some data with the Procede the one time it happened. Let me know if you want me to send you the logs although it doesn't really tell you much.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #47
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Shiv said the code will still be in the car's memory, but what if it isn't? How do you know it will happen again? I thought I read that some ppl said they went into limp mode and tried to read the code with a code reader and nothing came up (or something very general came up).

Also, it appears that this issue is a very random one, since most of us who experienced this limp mode did so only once. It happened to my car 4 weeks ago (after having Shiv's XEDE in for 4 months and the PROcede in for 1 month), and so far, it hasn't returned in 4 weeks. In addition, just like you, I was cruising on the hwy. @ 65mph while in M6 gear (and not on boost).

Let us know what, if anything, you find out. Thanks.
I experienced that the Creader just shows standard OBD-II codes. BMW stores extended, own codes in the ECU as well where I am not sure that the Creader is capable to deal with. For example, when I had troubles at my first PROcede installation, Creader showed 3 codes and did not clear them properly. The BMW service computer showed 6-8 codes and cleared them successful. The BMW Tech explained to me that even BMW service computers need a software update to be able to handle the e93 335i's codes correctly ( diag & delete ). So I'm very optimistic to see something more at the dealership.

If the issue will no more occure I am more than happy as well. Both scenarios will solve the issue

I'll keep you informed.

Last edited by e.n335; 06-19-2007 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #48
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
Nobody reported such a problem without a piggyback. Can it be related somehow to what we do with the 335i's rear boost solenoid ?...
Cheers
Eugen
I always wondered how we could get away with bypassing a factory solenoid, and not cause issues... I wish someone could actually explain what this is doing, and how it works... apparently it even works to stabilize boost with a turbo tuner/ terry tuner(according to terry)

Maybe its just on the later build cars, which would be why shiv and others like sflgator havent seen the problem as often as other people have...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #49
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Guys.. the yellow half engine icon is not a CEL or a Service engine soon light. It means that the vehicle is in LIMP MODE. No aftermarket OBD2 scanner will retrieve a fault thats tripping a LIMP MODE situation. If you have a "Service Engine Soon" light with a LIMP MODE icon then there will be a fault stored and possibly the aftermarket OBD2 fault reader might read it.

For now only BMW diagnostic computers can get faults if the yellow half engine icon appears.

My advice is if you have a PROcede and you go into limp mode, pull over, shut off the engine, restart, and the icon should go away. Don't even think about going to the dealer, at least here in the US, complaining that your 335i went into limp mode with a PROcede still installed in the car or even ask to check the faults and ask for a printout. They won't do it.

Also don't rely too much or at least 100% on the aftermarket OBD2 fault readers. The description could be a bit different than BMWs fault description.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:23 PM   #50
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@themshop View Post
Guys.. the yellow half engine icon is not a CEL or a Service engine soon light. It means that the vehicle is in LIMP MODE. No aftermarket OBD2 scanner will retrieve a fault thats tripping a LIMP MODE situation. If you have a "Service Engine Soon" light with a LIMP MODE icon then there will be a fault stored and possibly the aftermarket OBD2 fault reader might read it.

For now only BMW diagnostic computers can get faults if the yellow half engine icon appears.

My advice is if you have a PROcede and you go into limp mode, pull over, shut off the engine, restart, and the icon should go away. Don't even think about going to the dealer, at least here in the US, complaining that your 335i went into limp mode with a PROcede still installed in the car or even ask to check the faults and ask for a printout. They won't do it.
This is why eugen volunteered to take his car into the dealer to pull the diagnostics info, he is reporting back by thursday the latest
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #51
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:

In Switzerland they do it, especially when you have purchased the 7th brand new car within 12 years and never had worth to mention warranty issues . Of course, it is about US$ 8.50 .
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #52
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:

Also don't rely too much or at least 100% on the aftermarket OBD2 fault readers. The description could be a bit different than BMWs fault description.
That's why Eugen said he'll take his car to his dealer in Switz. to have them check for any stored codes, and then report back to us and Shiv for some investigation and analysis.

Edit -- beat me to it, Eugen. Thanks.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #53
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
In Switzerland they do it, espacially when you have purchased the 7th brand new car within 12 years and never had worth to mention warranty issues
Thats very fortunate for you but most dealers here in the US may not offer that kind of service.

I know because I worked at 3 different BMW Centers as a technician so I know it goes. I'm sure the techs here on this board can agree with me.

Also I don't want to sound negative but let's say Eugene does gets the results on the cause of the BMW going into limp mode, we don't know 100% if his fault code error is the same as mine or others that are getting the yellow half engine icon/Limp mode light. So we need someone else to volunteer to take their 335i to get check out the fault codes and see if there's a match.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #54
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Thats very fortunate for you but most dealers here in the US may not offer that kind of service.

I know because I worked at 3 different BMW Centers as a technician so I know it goes. I'm sure the techs here on this board can agree with me.

Also I don't want to sound negative but let's say Eugene does gets the results on the cause of the BMW going into limp mode, we don't know 100% if his fault code error is the same as mine or others that are getting the yellow half engine icon/Limp mode light. So we need someone else to volunteer to take their 335i to get check out the fault codes and see if there's a match.
Fully agree.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #55
A. Hansen
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 997turbo

I also had the same problem (3 times) after switching fuels BP,TOTAL,SHELL
Only my car is original !
I drive a lot (since januari 2007 40.000 km)

After reading the fault codes
They replaced a VANOS control sensor.

Since that I never had it again.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #56
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Hoogstraate View Post

Is that the description they said on your invoice?

Any part numbers?

I don't know of any sensor that controls vanos but there are intake and exhaust camshaft position sensors that monitor vanos operation.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #57
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:

Wow - all car's seem to be affected randomly. Let's see what is stored in the ECU ...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #58
A. Hansen
Private
Germany
Rep

I have to look at the bill...
(it was under guarantee)

It's the one in the front of the car, on the left side, behind a coolant hose.
Tomorow i will post this here (can't reach it now it's at the company).
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #59
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
(it was under guarantee)

Thanks a lot !
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #60
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
(it was under guarantee)

Yeah that's a camshaft position sensor. Now.. did you get a "Service Engine Soon" light or a yellow half engine icon only or did you get both at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #61
A. Hansen
Private
Germany
Rep

I had a yellow half engine icon a few times.
After putting the car on/off it dissapeard.

It felt i had less torque in the lower rpm. (before 4000 rpm)
After they replaced it, the torque was back again.

Maybe this has nothing to do with your problems but I can only tell what
happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #62
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

I had a problem like everyone is stating here. No limp mode icon or half engine, just no boost while accelerating, letting the car coast for a while it would go away and drive fine. I also had it stumble a few times while accelerating, but it didnt completely cut boost. I had the faults checked with the GT1 and it stated "possible spark plug fouling" Had all six replaced and have been running PROcede less to make sure it doesnt come back. Been running smooth since.
      06-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #63
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
I had a problem like everyone is stating here. No limp mode icon or half engine, just no boost while accelerating, letting the car coast for a while it would go away and drive fine. I also had it stumble a few times while accelerating, but it didnt completely cut boost. I had the faults checked with the GT1 and it stated "possible spark plug fouling" Had all six replaced and have been running PROcede less to make sure it doesnt come back. Been running smooth since.
When you replace the spark plugs you see if there is an AFR problem. Did the old ones look normal, white or dark (black) ?

And I think you should install the PROcede again , it's a great device. On a much more heavy e93 compared to a e46 M3 coupe it provides better milage and a far better low torque distribution. You can forget about the BS SMG-II ( ever driven SMG-II in auto mode ? ) and enjoy a very fast sport-steptronic. Sorry for offtopic, I got really mad about the e46 M3.

Somewhere noticeable above the e46 M3, that's where I would position the PROcede'd 335i.

Last edited by e.n335; 06-17-2007 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #64
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

My tech said they look fine. A little black but nothing abnormal.
      06-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #65
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
My tech said they look fine. A little black but nothing abnormal.
^ perfect
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #66
Fortbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Happened to me yesterday. I was letting a friend test drive my car and he wasn't too use to a manual. He was in 5th and probably should have been down a gear. Once he hit it, the 1/2 engine light came on. The first time this has happened. It was hot, 90 degrees and the AC was on.
Appreciate 0