E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Cool Carbon S/T and R/T brake pads

07-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Cool Carbon S/T and R/T brake pads

If anyone has been looking for a reasonable street/track there is finally an answer.

I did some research on Cool Carbon and they been around for long time. The old compound was discontinued some time ago. The newest compound has been in long term development and just released this year and for 335i just this week.

The ST compound has some impressive number as you can see in the attached PDF file which is a very linear temperature vs coefficient of friction response. The pad will can maintain a bulk temperature of 1150 F with no loss of friction and can run higher temperature as well without any consequence other than drop in coefficient of friction. When I say bulk temperature this is not peak so it does mean heat soaked.

I asked there technical guy so detailed question that we not in their documentation. The cold performance is very impressive. The coefficient of friction at 32 F is 0.38-0.40 mu and comparing this to the stock pads which are close to 0.30-0.34 mu. I asked this question specifically because it was impossible to get any resolution from there data sheet. The S/T pads are stronger than stock when cold which is not something I have every seen in such a high temperature friction material. The average coefficient of friction for street driving is a working range of 0.44-0.46 mu. On the track the pads will maintain a very steady coefficient of friction 0.50-0.55 mu with linear respsonse and good release.

I was not able to get much from the about material other than the ST use Brass and R/T pads use Titanium with various fiber materials. I asked if they were using nano material technologies but I got happy face with no comment for a reply. I suspect they are using nano material technology as give them ability to bind material together in matrix which normal can not be created. Unique material properties are usually the outcome from nano materials with out getting into more details. This would include the ability to reject heat quickly and very high strengths.

The R/T full race pads will be available this fall but it only recommend with R compound tires.

I order two full sets and will see how they work and I will post a review then.

Last edited by Orb; 03-10-2009 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

this looks interesting. nanotechnology? wow.

not the cheapest ones, have seen them in bavauto catalog, but s/o pls buy them and go brake the sh*t out of them on the track, then write a review.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
lbouchard
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335XI

what about brake dust?
are they better than the OE?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbouchard View Post
what about brake dust?
are they better than the OE?
I had them for week now and have less than one day of brake dust when compared to the OEM pads (if you run them hard there going to dust just like OEM). They are a lot stronger cold and release considerably better than the OEM pads (No comparision). I can’t get them to fade the slightest on the street from 230 km/hr hard stop where the OEM pads would fade moderatly. Will see how they do at the track next week as this is what there rated for.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Hey Orb, how much does a set cost? and where did you get them from?

Thanks buddy. I was considering carbotech pads but they're like $400.
      07-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Hey Orb, how much does a set cost? and where did you get them from?

Thanks buddy. I was considering carbotech pads but they're like $400.
The Coolcarbons list for about 110.00 each. The front/rear set is 189.00 from http://eurobahn.us/brakeupgrades.aspx. BTW, the MOT of these pads is 1562 F which is very high for street pad and better than most racing pads. I got a few sets as i go through a set in one day at the local track.

The Carbotech are a race compond other than the Bobcats which is much like the Axxis pads and they are about 260.00 for front and rear set...the race componds are a lot more and you can't drive on the street with them.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 11-25-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #7
lbouchard
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335XI

my car has about 17000 km, do I need to plan to change the brake wear sensor at the same time as switch to coolcarbon?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

These look great and are priced right. Let us know how they hold up in the long run. And the retaining clips are a bonus! The sound of rattling pads makes me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
The Coolcarbons list for about 110.00 each. The front/rear set is 189.00 from http://eurobahn.us/brakeupgrades.aspx. BTW, the MOT of these pads is 1562 F which is very high for street pad and better than most racing pads. I got a few sets as i go through a set in one day at the local track.

The Carbotech are a race compond other than the Bobcats which is much like the Axxis pads and they are about 260.00 for front and rear set...the race componds are a lot more and you can't drive on the street with them.

Orb
Orb, the price looks right, but they don't seem to last long, 1 day? How mamy hours on the track for it to be used up?
      07-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Orb, the price looks right, but they don't seem to last long, 1 day? How mamy hours on the track for it to be used up?
The local track is a killer on brake pads. I go thru one set (front and rear) in about 2.5 hours of track time with the OEM pads. I haven't gone to the track with the cool carbon yet. They should last a bit longer I hope.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
These look great and are priced right. Let us know how they hold up in the long run. And the retaining clips are a bonus! The sound of rattling pads makes me crazy.
No noise with these pad at all or sounds of the pads scraping by the pads when the brakes are off like my Axxis UTL pads. Better than OEM pads for power when cold.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
The local track is a killer on brake pads. I go thru one set (front and rear) in about 2.5 hours of track time with the OEM pads. I haven't gone to the track with the cool carbon yet. They should last a bit longer I hope.

Orb
Wow! that track must need you to brake constantly. I have done some 5 hrs of track with lots of high speed braking and 13,000 kms regular driving with a lot left on the oem pads.
      03-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
tomtom
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

any updates on these pads?
i am looking for aftermarket ones...
Appreciate 0