E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Disappointing LCi 330d problem & Main stealer doing what they do best!

11-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCi MSport

Thumbs down Disappointing LCi 330d problem & Main stealer doing what they do best!

Just thought i'd share and inform of the repair that has just been carried out on my 58plate 330d with the N57 engine. I had a rattley/rotary type noise on idle and between 1500-3000ish rpm. After a few attempts including changing the Aux drive belt on the front the engine, my car has been into my local 'stealers' (no names mentioned but within 10miles of Tamworth, Midlands) for the replacement of the Guide rails and associated parts. Fortunately under warranty as the car is under 3yrs old.

I believe it to be very similar to this thread:-
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...+timing&page=2

I was shown the original warranty claim form listing oil and filter change, however after i mentioned that the car was due a service within 1900 miles the oil and filter were miraculously removed from the list i was shown and that to have the oil renewed i needed to pay for it! Now there's a SURPRISE! Obviously i'd offered to pay the parts and labour for the other parts required on the service but they refused to budge. What’s more is that i have been charged the labour for the Oil and filter part of the service!

The original diagnosis of the guide rails being worn at just 58,000miles, I was told that the guide rails in actual fact distort causing the chain to bounce and rattle... not worn apparently?! Long and short of it but the unnamed stealer (very appropriately named!) informed me that they actually re-use the old engine oil... OUTRAGEOUS! And they can guarantee that there isn’t any debris or contaminant from the faulty parts as they are only 'distorted' and not in actual fact worn. Absolute BS!

What’s more is that i have heard since of X3's with the N57 engines (Highways police and high miles) that have suffered snapped timing chains!!

So N47/N57 engine owners i urge you to check for this noise! The Timing chain guides on the N47/N57 are common parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Name And Shame.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

they treat u like this and u protecting them !!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

Tell us
      11-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well ive had the final phone call today saying tat they have been in contact with BMW UK and they will not authorise the Oil replacement as part of the warranty claim, and that they arent prepared as a dealership to meet the cost of the oil by ways of good will. So it was: Sytners Sutton Coldfield.

I am in total disbelief that a manufacturer such as BMW who pride themselves on quality, were insist on reusing old engine oil... especially in the case of an internal engine component fault. I have always carried out repairs on my own vehicles in the past and never once even considered reusing the old oil.

I must say that my dealings with BMW UK have been very prompt and pleasant to deal with. I expressed my concerns with the engine and gearbox being removed with just 2 months remaining manufacturers warranty, so they have come forward with offer of 50% towards extended warranty. This is obviously very much appreciated and goes some way to restoring my faith.

Sytners Sutton however have done absolutely nothing to help this or retain my custom in the future. Disgraceful at best.

I think the main point to take forward from this however is the potential reliability issues with the earlier N47/N57 (2.0d/3.0d) engines as they share the same timing chain components!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

Speak to Anneka. She is a forum sponsor and is linked to Synter may be she can assist ?
      11-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #7
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

After speaking to a manager at the dealer, they have made their position and view quite clear. Not sure Anneka will be able to do a lot as she doesnt work within the dealership that im dealing with.

However on other news - i'm back over to Sytners Sutton this evening (yet more loss of earnings!) to have the exhaust manifold looked at as i'm getting exhaust fumes into the cabin!! They are promising to work on the vehicle immediately... so we'll see how this visit goes. Grrr.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

I was warned about Sytners in SC by friends when I first got my BMW and have thus only ever bought parts from there. My servicing has all been done by Sytners in Coventry, which is easy to get to from Tamworth as you dont need to go through Cov, and I have found their service to be excellent.
Also I can recommend the Sytners body shop in Oldbury.

Also have you tried Marques on the old A5 in Fazeley. Lots of recommendations from my work colleagues using independent BMW servicing.