E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > importing a car from Spain to the US... any help?

08-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #23
fxhomie
Mr. Bahnbnr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A4, BMW 330Ci Conv. ZHP

pwnd

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #24
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 330d

wow...

I've reading all the answers.

Thanks Allan for the article...

well... you know guys... you really know how to make me not try to...

I don't know about any adblue, or similar for the motor. I've never hear of such a thing. Do you know what are the NOx emissions levels in the US? Or where can I find them? EPA webiste?

I will take a look at that.

Read you later!!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #25
allan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93, barbera/cream

My first post showed the following link:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/quiktext.htm

Quick Overview of Vehicle Import Requirements

.....did I mention ?? ;-)
menciono a alguien/algo buscar - I hope this makes sense :-)

Last edited by allan; 08-05-2009 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: translation
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #26
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
It was only here for 1 year (imported by Bosch).

What exactly does this sentence mean?

Really? How does it pass inspection and get registered with plates?
Exactly what it say's ship it to either one of those places to try and get here to the states. And also try to register the vehicle in Mexico are Canada i'm sure it want be to hard to do it in mexcio with all of the stolen cars over there. Check the Vw vortex forums and type in Audi S3. A guy on that site was able to get his Audi S3 in the states through Mexico. Anything is possible.
      08-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #27
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

And here is the link http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3470228
      08-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #28
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Allan.

I have read that page many times as well as the ones from the department of transportations, us embassies, and other people... but none of them is conclusive.

Ok, my car was not manufactured in the US, but they have here a 335d, which is manufactured in germany and brought to the US. I have not been able to get hold of any site or documentation stating that the 335d has lower emission levels because of US regulations than the 330d.

I can import the car for one year, after that I have to export the vehicule or destroy it ("The vehicle must be exported within one year, or upon the nonresident departing the U.S., whichever comes first."). But then again, can I use that year to bring my car to compliance? Or do I have to export it, and then import it again, this time satisfaying all the criteria?

So there is EPA emission levels... well, I have tried to find them, I haven't been able to do so. But then again, I actually don't know the emissions of my car.

What do I have to bring the car to compliance with DOT? I have seen some orange markers on the side of some bmw... but then again, only on some, and appart from bmw, I have not seen it in any other car!! Is that a DOT regulation? My tyres have to be brought to compliance? There is only a handfull of tyre manufacturers, and they serve worlwide! Of course that there are different certifications and homologations depending on the country, but who really thinks that a tyre can be that different? I am driving right now a Suzuki XL7 with 252hp that burns much more fuel than my 330d, with all weather tyres that have much less grip than my actual continental contisport 2 SSR that I have in my 330d.

I work for a multinational that is specialized in environmental issues, I work for the photovoltaic division! I have seen too many cars in the US that contaminates much much more than what epa limits should be for a personal car. I just cannot truly understand why importing a bmw 330d can be such a pain!

Sorry for the long text (we call them brick, I don't know if the idiom is the same), I just needed to "say it outloud!"!!!!!!!! arg!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #29
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fortyb, I am not trully looking to import the car... like not really so legally... I mean, I just want to do it right... But I can tell you that they are not really making it any easy!

I can understand why someone would like to take the risk to send the car to Mexico and try to cross the border that way... I really understand them!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #30
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisalbertoga View Post

Ok, my car was not manufactured in the US, but they have here a 335d, which is manufactured in germany and brought to the US. I have not been able to get hold of any site or documentation stating that the 335d has lower emission levels because of US regulations than the 330d.

Doesn't matter if the 335d has lower emission levels - your car is not a U.S. spec car, it's not certified for the U.S. and it can't remain in the U.S.
Quote:
I work for a multinational that is specialized in environmental issues, I work for the photovoltaic division! I have seen too many cars in the US that contaminates much much more than what epa limits should be for a personal car. I just cannot truly understand why importing a bmw 330d can be such a pain!
Every country has its own regulations and rules. Clearly, despite the fact that the fact that a 330d cannot be imported (except for 1 year) has been explained many times, you are not willing to accept these rules and you are not satisfied with the 1-year exemption (and yes, you have to export or destroy the car). Perhaps you should consider moving to a country to which you can bring your car since it seems so important?

Quote:
I can understand why someone would like to take the risk to send the car to Mexico and try to cross the border that way.
Not sure what your point is. You couldn't register or insure the car in the U.S. even if you got it across the border.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #31
fxhomie
Mr. Bahnbnr
United_States
Rep

Luis, a web search yielded these US "Tier 2" emission figures for diesel (Bin 5, the avg. bin. sorry, can't explain bins here):

NMHC (non-methane hydrocarbons): 0.0090 g/ml
CO (carbon monoxide): 4.2 g/ml
NOx (nitrogen oxide): 0.07 g/ml
PM (particulate matter): 0.01 g/ml
HCHO (formaldehyde): 0.018 g/ml

Your 330d conforms to Euro 4 emissions. You can look that up to get all the figures. Suffice to say NOx is the important one. Euro 4 NOx for diesel is 0.25 g/km. Convert this to miles and you get 0.40 g/ml. US EPA allows only 0.07 g/ml. HUGE difference, and the reason why you would need to convert to a SCR (ADBlue) system.

Jonathan is right. You're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Your plans to import just aren't going to happen. You need to go to Plan B.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #32
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fxhomie... thank you very much... I did some research... and I have to admit you are absolutely right!

Probably this 2 paragraphs can be the summary of what I have been reading for the last couple of hours!

http://www.eurotuner.com/features/eu...sel/index.html

"With 265hp - about 20hp less than the 286hp European version - the 335d will accelerate to 60mph in an astonishing 6.0sec and goes on to an autobahn-verified and electronically limited 130mph.

The reason US cars claim less power is the sophisticated emissions equipment onboard. Required by US regulations, the motor combines a diesel particulate filter with EGR and SCR systems."

I have seen also that the 2008 diesel models are starting to have a similar emission equipment, although I cannot confirm that the new '08 models would conform to EPA emissions levels...

Well... then plan B must be enforced!!!

(I will try to get a quotation on what would be the cost of upgrading the emissions equipment... but I am pretty sure that will only add more cost to the car, obviously!)

Thank you all!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #33
fxhomie
Mr. Bahnbnr
United_States
Rep

Luis, I hope you are successful in bring your vehicle in compliance with US regulations. It won't be cheap, but nothing that money can't solve! You obviously are very attached to the 330d; that is completely understandable as we are all, at heart, car (and BMW) enthusiasts. Keep us posted...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #34
Jean330xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxhomie View Post

Jonathan is right. You're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Your plans to import just aren't going to happen. You need to go to Plan B.
+1. This is not going to happen unless the OP spends tens of thousands of dollars and even that is not a sure thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #35
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep

How does

Quote:
Ship it to Mexico are to canada.
mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyb View Post
Exactly what it say's ship it to either one of those places to try and get here to the states.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 04:03 AM   #36
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

The urea injection system may not be so expensive. BUT: the US emissions people require that the engine should be modified such as the car will NOT run when the urea tank is empty...so this requires modifications to the engine ECU.

I think petrol cars are much easier to import than diesels. Diesels are almost impossible to import to the US if you ask me.

That said, I would not want to have anything to do with the US customs ever. When I was to US in a bussiness visit a few times, I was almost humiliated by the amount of papers I had to fill and the amount of people who asked me all kinds of things about my life. They treat you like a terrorist. I just wish the same treatment should be applied to US people coming to Europe...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #37
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
The urea injection system may not be so expensive. BUT: the US emissions people require that the engine should be modified such as the car will NOT run when the urea tank is empty...so this requires modifications to the engine ECU.
Excellent point. Forgot about that detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post

I think petrol cars are much easier to import than diesels. Diesels are almost impossible to import to the US if you ask me.
Ja, petrol cars are already difficult (next to impossible) and expensive to import. I think you are spot on here.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 05:48 AM   #38
Pia
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320 d

Hello,

did you manage to import your car if so can you tell me how as i have the same problem
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #39
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi Pia,

At the end I sold the car, and bought here another one.

The process doesn't seem to be easy, and not knowing the total cost of the import is not something that encourages you to go any further in the process.

It might not be the best time to try to sell your car in Spain... but if you have some time, try to sell it. Here bmw doesn't loose their value so quickly, so 2nd hand bmw cars are not that cheap (unless you go for over or close to 100,000 miles cars!). They are cheaper than in Spain, maybe, but not like a honda, or suzuki, ford, etc...

I sold the car and as said, bought a couple of cars here (not with the same money), one for my wife, another one for me. One 2nd hand (16k miles) the other one is brand new... if you want my advice... try to go for a 2nd hand car with very low miles, and if possible under warranty. I don't think you will qualify for 0% APR (interest rate for the loan), so a new car might not be the best option, unless you can find some dealership with a lot of stock that is trying to get rid off of some of it.

Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #40
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia View Post
Hello,

did you manage to import your car if so can you tell me how as i have the same problem
Absolutely impossible (at least from an economic standpoint.) In addition , the 1 year temporary importation applies to tourists and other "non-residents."

The OP - and you presumeably - would be here on work visas and would technically be residents.

The quick bottom line

At a minimum, expect any import to cost $15k - and usually more..

The emission discussion of 330d vs 335d was purely academic as it didn't include the fact that the car with the 330d engine wasn't crash tested for the US.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #41
TheStigsTwin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Wow, I wish they sold 330d in US, if you get it here and stay, sell it to me when you are done with it. Nice ride.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #42
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigsTwin View Post
Wow, I wish they sold 330d in US, if you get it here and stay, sell it to me when you are done with it. Nice ride.
Me? I'd want a diesel E91 x-drive. I'd put 500k miles on that car before I'd get rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #43
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

importing a car is a real pain, IMO, not worth it, better off sell it and buy a US spec car when you get here. I had imported a Canadian spec car into the US years ago when I move here, and I swear I will never ever do that again, not to mention the Canadian spec car that I imported is identical to the US spec except for daytime running light, and that was 20 years ago, I am sure the process will only get more difficult and complicated.

if you car is not US Spec, I think the EPA will have to approve it, all kinds of paper works to fill out and in some case, you will have to modify the car to US spec, really, not worth it, imagine simple thing such as the gas filler neck is not compatible to US spec, and you can't even fill up your gas tank at the gas station without jumping through hoop!!!! by the way, EPA will not let you import the car when you can put gas in properly, anything emission related, it has to fit US spec vehicle, and god forbidden if you are moving to CA and try to register your car there. And for any state that have inspections annually or biannually, any non confirmed or standard or failed components, you will have to show paper works that your car were imported and has been approved blah blah blah, on top of that, most mechanic/inspector here in the US are not familiar with imported vehicles, they wouldn't know what to do and care less and then just failed your inspections...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #44
cb1111
Rep

You bring up another good point - and that is parts availability and technical understanding by the techs (BMW or otherwise)
Appreciate 0