E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Axle Flange seal Replacement

10-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #1
Manberg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

Axle Flange seal Replacement

I've searched and searched and cant seem to come up with a solid DIY for the rear axle flange seal. I'm asking if anyone has experience with these, if you could share your procedure and double check the parts I'll need before I start.

As far as replacement goes, In my search I'm finding you need to:
1) Drop the exhaust
2) Unbolt the axle from the half shaft, move it aside
3) Pop out the half shaft
4) Replace things and stuff
5) Reassemble.

This is for n54, I have an n55, but I'm assuming its the same diff. This is also similar to other common BMW differential set ups it seems.
http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se..._differential/

Does that sound about right? I need to gauge my shop time as I'm going to be working on a limited time basis in/at my shop on a Saturday(super short/day off). Hoping it wont take more than a couple hours.

And for items I'll need:
1) Gear Oil 75/90
2) Axle Flange seal
3) C Clip for the half shaft (?)
4) Drain/Fill plug washers

Ill have all the normal shop supplies at my disposal as well.

I'll head into the dealer to grab OE stuff. Hopefully they can help as well.

Bonus question: Before I bought the vehicle the dealer good willed this repair and blamed my aftermarket suspension for the leak, but I've never heard of a small drop in ride height causing an axle seal to leak on any vehicle. I was told by the previous owner it was an inch drop, and my car is far from slammed. Although I have not gone out and measured the exact ride height myself, a 1 inch difference is still well within stock wheel/suspension travel and should not put any strain on an axle seal, right? ~ Dealer wanted to revert me back to stock suspension before they would work on it again.

Thanks
M-Sport, 6MT, PPK, JB4 ISO + Rev.3, VRSF 7'' FMIC, VRSF Catless DP, BMS Charge Pipe, MFactory LSD, Öhlins R&T, M3 Control Arms, Rogue 6MT Bushings, Remus Exhaust, Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, Cyba Scoops, VMR VB3 19s, BMS Clucth Stop
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Bonus question sounds BS. The E90 factory sport suspension drops the ride height by .75 inches over the non-sport suspension and BMW doesn't change axle or diff seal P/Ns. The axle has CV joints, which are specifically designed to allow a large range of axle movement. Dealer is BS'ing you.

It sounds like you'll be working on a lift. Either way the exhaust is heavy and way unbalanced. I have a 325i, the 335i is probably even worse. Be careful with it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
They will find any excuse...

Appreciate 0