E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > M-Sport Pkg replaces Sport Package??

02-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Gator328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 328i

M-Sport Pkg replaces Sport Package??

So, I've thrown in the towel trying to find a CPO 335i with everything I want on it and have just decided to get a new one. Well, when I go on BMW's build your own site, I noticed that the sport package seems to have been replaced by the M-Sport Package. That is the only sports package selection available. I then discovered that it seems that it's only available in certain colors because the Deep Sea Blue I had selected was canceled out when I chose the M-sport package.

Is this in fact the case or am I just not doing something right? I'm going to go down to the dealer this weekend and discuss all of this with them, but I'd like to have my facts straight before I go, just so I don't get bamboozled.
      02-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
hsleiman
First Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 11 e90 335xi PPK 6MT

Talk to your dealer. The build your own portion of the bmwusa site can be wonky sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
gcreese
gcreese
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Coupe

You aren't dreaming. This change occurred back in March 2011. If you want the Sport seats, you have to go with the M Sport package. And if you go with M Sport, you can't get the heated steering wheel. I'd originally ordered my 335i xDrive coupe back in December 2010 for European Delivery in April 2011. In January 2011, BMW came back and said, "We can no longer build the car you ordered." (Crimson Red, Sport Package, heated steering wheel.) I went with M Sport because I wanted the Sport seats, but I'm still miffed.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
hsleiman
First Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 11 e90 335xi PPK 6MT

Oh wow. I just checked this : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568229
and it looks like sports package is gone however sports suspension is standard. No mention of sport seats though, I guess the only way to get those is with the Msport package.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
nichojo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

It's a trade off. I have the early MY2011 Sport package with Sport seats and a heated wheel but the Base stereo.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

MSPORT! You'll love it
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
doubleIN
atlien
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.50]
If you're buying new, why would you not want the m-sport package? I think it's got great value for the price. sport seats, aero kit, M steering wheel - to me these are must haves! and on top of that you get the upgraded wheels, anthracite headliner and shadowline trim. I wouldn't order a new BMW without m-sport
      02-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
this is good news. so when my cheap ass goes to look for a CPO F30 335i in a few years there'll be tons of ZMP cars available!!! LOL
      02-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Gator328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleIN View Post
If you're buying new, why would you not want the m-sport package? I think it's got great value for the price. sport seats, aero kit, M steering wheel - to me these are must haves! and on top of that you get the upgraded wheels, anthracite headliner and shadowline trim. I wouldn't order a new BMW without m-sport
I didn't say I didn't want it, I'm just surprised that BMW is no longer giving customers the option of only getting the sport package.
      02-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
DoD74
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Coupe

I too just ordered the M Package on my 335i Coupe. I would normally have just gotten the Sport Package but now that it's here i love it and am definitely glad I ordered it. My guess is that with the E92 fading out soon they are cutting back on individual options and bundling more stuff. On a brighter note, the alarm and a couple of other features are now standard...

Last edited by DoD74; 02-08-2012 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

knowing what i know now, i wouldve totally gotten the msport package instead of just regular sport package. :/

msport or bust!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Back in Sept '10, when I ordered this E92, we still had the choice of regular Sport Pkg or M-Sport pkg. The difference between the 2 packages was so minimal, I am not sure why anybody would have not paid the small extra for the M-Sport.
      02-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Back in Sept '10, when I ordered this E92, we still had the choice of regular Sport Pkg or M-Sport pkg. The difference between the 2 packages was so minimal, I am not sure why anybody would have not paid the small extra for the M-Sport.
Small extra????? When I got my car the M-sport was $3,000 while the Sport Pack was $1,300. So basically the difference is about the same as the cost of the Premium package.

Personally, I used the price difference plus a couple hundred to get the Navigation. Since the sport pack gives me the seats, I was good and used the extra money for other items I would find more useful. But to each their own.

My point is simply if the "small extra" is the cost of an entire other package, it ain't small.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
If you're buying new, why would you not want the m-sport package?
The question makes as much sense as "Why would you want the m-sport package?"

Quote:
I think it's got great value for the price. sport seats, aero kit, M steering wheel - to me these are must haves!
To me all of these, except for the sport seats, are must-avoids.

Quote:
and on top of that you get the upgraded wheels
as you do with sport package

Quote:
anthracite headliner
?

Quote:
and shadowline trim.
as you do with sport package

Quote:
I wouldn't order a new BMW without m-sport
And I wouldn't order a non-M car with M-Sport. But BMW apparently prefers to force people to do that.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The difference between Sport and M-Sport packages is purely cosmetic, i.e. you get everything that really matters with Sport package already. For most driving-oriented car owners I know the idea of them choosing something for purely cosmetic reasons is insulting, to say the least. I personally would (and do) make a point by explicitly avoiding M-Sport package on a non-M car.

BTW, the price difference between Sport and M-Sport is not "minimal". If memory serves, M-Sport was not 2x more expensive, but almost 2x more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
The difference between Sport and M-Sport packages is purely cosmetic, i.e. you get everything that really matters with Sport package already. For most driving-oriented car owners I know the idea of them choosing something for purely cosmetic reasons is insulting, to say the least. I personally would (and do) make a point by explicitly avoiding M-Sport package on a non-M car.

BTW, the price difference between Sport and M-Sport is not "minimal". If memory serves, M-Sport was not 2x more expensive, but almost 2x more expensive.
Man you are smug. I don't consider better aerodynamics to be purely cosmetic. And even if it is? So what. Then don't buy it. Nobody cares what you think or asked your opinion.
      02-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
gcreese
gcreese
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Coupe

For a 335i xDrive coupe, the M Sport Package is mostly cosmetic (other than the Sport seats). You don't get the altered suspension, you don't get the increased speed limiter. You do get different side skirts, different bumpers, and the M logo plastered on the wheels, rocker panels, and steering wheel. (OK, maybe the bumpers are more aerodynamic, but given the speed limits in the U.S., that's of little value.) When both the Sport Package and the M Sport Package were available, the M Sport package was about $2K more than the Sport Package.

So if you aren't into all the M cosmetics, it's an expensive option with little value -- other than the Sport seats. I liked them on my 535i xDrive wagon, so I went with the M Sport Package for my coupe -- begrudgingly. I feel like BMW coerced me into getting all this stuff I didn't want (M cosmetic stuff) and removed stuff I did want (Crimson Red, heated steering wheel). However, BMW now seems bent on bundling (e.g., Luxury, Modern, and Sport lines on the new 3 series sedans), so I can't say I'm surprised at the "If we bundle things together we'll make more money than if we sell them separately" strategy.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #18
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
Man you are smug. I don't consider better aerodynamics to be purely cosmetic. And even if it is? So what. Then don't buy it.
And I didn't. (Better aerodynamics - yeah, right....)

Quote:
Nobody cares what you think or asked your opinion.
Huh? You go around public forums telling people you don't know "nobody cares what you think or asked your opinion"? LOL! Must be a slow day in that troll's basement!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #19
s2slow206
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Alpine White

Quote:
Man you are smug. I don't consider better aerodynamics to be purely cosmetic. And even if it is? So what. Then don't buy it. Nobody cares what you think or asked your opinion.
I highly doubt the average driver will notice or even benefit from the better aerodynamics. For those that didn't want to buy probably did not check the $3,500 option box . Not disputing with you just saying, o btw this is a public forum where majority of posts and comments are opinions. Everyone's opinion is the same as yours and no one should care what someone on the internet says, also don't think the question being asked had any specific name or person otherwise they would have just sent a pm

To the op, I know for my year it had both options and when I was building a new 2011 on bmw site there was just m-package I believe and it was like $3,500 for what is included wasn't worth it to me.
      02-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Small extra????? When I got my car the M-sport was $3,000 while the Sport Pack was $1,300. So basically the difference is about the same as the cost of the Premium package.

Personally, I used the price difference plus a couple hundred to get the Navigation. Since the sport pack gives me the seats, I was good and used the extra money for other items I would find more useful. But to each their own.

My point is simply if the "small extra" is the cost of an entire other package, it ain't small.
Wow, looks like I hit a nerve by saying the difference is minimal, sorry guys. I still don't think $1700 is that big of a price to have a car that handles and also looks the way I want it to.

Mr_Milo, if you have an E92, you pretty much spent $1300 just for the seats you wanted. It makes me spending $1700 for things I would have changed anyway look even better to me. I hate the E92 LCI bumpers, they'd have to go, and the sills would have to go too. That would have eaten up most of the $1700 there and closes the gap even more for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post

AndreyT, do you mean to tell me that all of the cosmetic changes that people do around here are insulting to you? When people get new rims, or M-tech bumpers, or splitters,clear side markers or change their interior trim, shifters, pedals, it's insulting to most driving oriented car owners? Seriously.

That all being said, I really do wish they had a different name other than "M" sport with the little M's all over everything on a non "M" car, so I think we have common ground there.

Last edited by wrickem; 02-09-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcreese View Post
For a 335i xDrive coupe, the M Sport Package is mostly cosmetic (other than the Sport seats). You don't get the altered suspension, you don't get the increased speed limiter. You do get different side skirts, different bumpers, and the M logo plastered on the wheels, rocker panels, and steering wheel. (OK, maybe the bumpers are more aerodynamic, but given the speed limits in the U.S., that's of little value.) When both the Sport Package and the M Sport Package were available, the M Sport package was about $2K more than the Sport Package.
For a 2011 335 xdrive coupe with M-Sport package, you DO get the increased speed limiter. I am looking at my build sheet right now and it has "840 - Increased top speed limiter" on it. Not that I'd ever be able to get to that speed in NJ. But I guess I like to know it's there.
      02-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For a 2011 335 xdrive coupe with M-Sport package, you DO get the increased speed limiter. I am looking at my build sheet right now and it has "840 - Increased top speed limiter" on it. Not that I'd ever be able to get to that speed in NJ. But I guess I like to know it's there.
Well, I used to get irritated by that too (got used to it eventually)... When people say that "M-Sport is mostly cosmetic" they actually mean that it is cosmetic compared to Sport package (not to base car). Sport package already includes top-speed limiter and everything else, so M-Sport is indeed just a cosmetic change from Sport.

Of course, if you compare M-Sport to base car, it is not even remotely cosmetic. M-Sport (just like Sport) introduces several significant non-cosmetic changes.

Why some people keep saying that M-Sport is "cosmetic" without explicitly stating that they are comparing it to Sport (as opposed to base car) is not clear to me. Apparently, some people just like to yap away in a forum and don't care whether anyone will understand them correctly.
Appreciate 0