E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Harman Premium Infotainment System for BMW

01-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Post Harman Premium Infotainment System for BMW

CES 2013: HARMAN combines connectivity, productivity and entertainment in new BMW premium infotainment system

08-January-2013

Seamless connectivity and convenience for in-car infotainment now available in the USA in a range of BMW cars

CES 2013, LAS VEGAS – HARMAN, the premium global audio and infotainment group, is proud to showcase the US launch of its content-rich infotainment system for BMW. Forming the core of the BMW “ConnectedDrive” experience, the HARMAN premium infotainment unit delivers a seamless experience into the vehicle combining wireless connectivity, enhanced navigation and even productivity applications that transform the car into a mobile office – all safely and intuitively. The HARMAN premium infotainment system for BMW delivers an excellent experience today, and is ready for tomorrow thanks to its upgradeable software architecture. The system is being demonstrated at CES onboard the BMW 3-series vehicle in the HARMAN booth.

Working in partnership with BMW, HARMAN has incorporated new infotainment features such as a special “birds-eye” view with realistic 3D city models, advanced guiding and new location-based services such as weather information. Entering destinations is a “one-shot” action, with the city, street and building number all in one natural sequence. A high-resolution 1280x480 display and 1.3GHz processor provide sharp clarity and detail, enabling HARMAN engineers to create a human machine interface (HMI) that supports 3D menus, thereby streamline choices and minimize driver distraction. Since every gram of weight is an important consideration to automakers, HARMAN has also drawn on its extensive experience to maintain feature content while managing heat production, system weight and package size to reduce car emissions and maintain an ideal fuel efficiency.

Connected with the world

With a clear focus on simplifying the complexity of connecting to consumer devices, the HARMAN premium infotainment system for BMW offers a number of industry firsts: without out taking their hands off the wheel or eyes off the road, drivers can dictate short emails, texts or voice memos to be composed and sent later or instantly via mobile uplink. To simplify connectivity to Facebook, internet radio and other services, the head unit also includes an embedded BMW iPhone App with the option to load third party apps in the future.

“This system earns its claim to being the most advanced infotainment system on the market,” says Michael Mauser, executive vice president and co-president Infotainment and Lifestyle. “We’re delighted it’s now available to BMW drivers in the USA also. It shows the way forward for in-car infotainment systems – with more intuitive operation, seamless connectivity, safety and convenience.”

The latest premium infotainment innovations by Harman for BMW are premiering this month in the US and will be available onboard a wide range of BMW models, including the 7-, 5- and 3-series vehicles.

HARMAN at CES 2013

Visit HARMAN during CES 2013 for more details and to receive a demo of the new HARMAN premium infotainment system for BMW as well view the company’s full portfolio of infotainment and lifestyle audio systems. HARMAN is located in the Central Hall, Booth 10431, in the Las Vegas Convention Center, January 8-11, 2013. Follow HARMAN online during CES 2013

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
hellomyBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

Garage List
This is awesome!
I've always wanted something cooler than the current iDrive system!
Is this a simple software upgrade or do you need to purchase hardware?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Tag
this is the way
Rep

My understanding from the limited amount of info that's been published is the system's underlying OS is Android. I don't believe it's a simple software upgrade and will only be offered in newer models. It's basically a complete revamp of the iDrive interface. It also sounds like users can upgrade the underlying OS without needing to go into the dealer and the interface itself is very flexible with all types of mobile devices. That's huge IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

No way, they're ditching iDrive entirely? Maybe this is some sort of optional "upgrade" or custom path that Harman does? That makes no sense after investing so much in it, not to mention that it's been much better reviewed than in the past.

Plus going to a touch system would defeat the whole safety aspect of using the controller, lots of complaints about the new caddy system
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

This only applies to the iDrive 4.2. No E-chassis BMW will get it, according to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
No way, they're ditching iDrive entirely? Maybe this is some sort of optional "upgrade" or custom path that Harman does? That makes no sense after investing so much in it, not to mention that it's been much better reviewed than in the past.

Plus going to a touch system would defeat the whole safety aspect of using the controller, lots of complaints about the new caddy system
I don't think this system is touch based but still uses the scroll wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
This only applies to the iDrive 4.2. No E-chassis BMW will get it, according to BMW.
It appears that this is a new "OEM" system which will be in new cars and not an aftermarket system. Correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

I guess an iDrive overlay would make sense, adding the bird's eye view and other stuff. I was thrown by that last image that shows all the apps and I thought that was going to be the new home screen, but that's probably on a separate sub-menu. Still it looks very un-iDrive, and it seems weird that they'd be using Android on top of (or instead of?) whatever OS they've built for iDrive currently.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
fibonacci
Fancy Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Then why is this post in this thread? Doesn't belong here.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Reading that press release, I believe Harman was just demonstrating the new HU_NBT Nav that has been on the 5/7 series since summer 2012, and will be arriving to the X3/6er next month, and 3er in July. I don't think it's something "newer" than that, and those screen shots that don't look like iDrive are from some other car.

Specifically, a Harman spokesperson says "We’re delighted it’s now available to BMW drivers in the USA also." Which means they're still talking about the NBT Nav, not something newer than iDrive 4.2.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Reading that press release, I believe Harman was just demonstrating the new HU_NBT Nav that has been on the 5/7 series since summer 2012, and will be arriving to the X3/6er next month, and 3er in July. I don't think it's something "newer" than that, and those screen shots that don't look like iDrive are from some other car.

Specifically, a Harman spokesperson says "We’re delighted it’s now available to BMW drivers in the USA also." Which means they're still talking about the NBT Nav, not something newer than iDrive 4.2.
NBT Nav = iDrive 4.2
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
NBT Nav = iDrive 4.2
Yep!

When are ya gonna try to retrofit the NBT in your car?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Yep!

When are ya gonna try to retrofit the NBT in your car?
There are technical issues when this CIC is installed in an E-chassis. Most probably the reason behind no chance of offering this NAV in a E-chassis car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are technical issues when this CIC is installed in an E-chassis. Most probably the reason behind no chance of offering this NAV in a E-chassis car.
I thought I read some comment about how the wiring was different. And you probably know more details, probably has to do with the NBT's integrated Combox. But I figured if anyone would want to give it a shot, it would be you
Appreciate 0